R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-20-2011, 09:42 AM   #256
Company Representative
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,891
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team STPN View Post
I would like to know the advantages or disadvantages between the Havoc vs GTB 2 besides price.
Our Havoc 2S/Spec esc is one of our budget line of controllers; our higher-performance, GTB2 is one of our racing escs:

TeamNovak ESC Spec Chart

The main differences between them are on-resistance (see chart) and programming options. Our GTB2s can be run on sensored motors 3.5T and above; our Havoc 2S can be used with (temperature protected), sensored motors 8.5T and above.
NovakTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 06:40 AM   #257
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: NY/FL
Posts: 3,376
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default

Hey All, just a quick note regarding the Mongoose ESC. Used it in race conditions yesterday during our club race. I've mentioned the powerful brakes and they lived up to that statement. The max setting is 7 and proved to be too much even for this late braking driver.
Everything else was perfect. Motor and esc temps were excellent in the 85 degree Florida air. Motor never saw more than 130.
The Mongoose is a keeper. I'm only 1 voice but I'd like to ask Rob to consider adding this one to the allowed list.
Thanks Novak for the tremendous support of VTA. Much appreciated !!
Evoracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 09:23 AM   #258
Company Representative
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,891
Default

Thanks for your Mongoose updates with the 25.5T motor; your experience actually running this esc under the same conditions as in a USVTA race setting is far more valuable than any factory testing we can perform here.

I, too, look forward to the addition of our little Mongoose to the approved esc list. Then we can update our store offerings and Dealer info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoracer View Post
Hey All, just a quick note regarding the Mongoose ESC. Used it in race conditions yesterday during our club race. I've mentioned the powerful brakes and they lived up to that statement. The max setting is 7 and proved to be too much even for this late braking driver.
Everything else was perfect. Motor and esc temps were excellent in the 85 degree Florida air. Motor never saw more than 130.
The Mongoose is a keeper. I'm only 1 voice but I'd like to ask Rob to consider adding this one to the allowed list.
Thanks Novak for the tremendous support of VTA. Much appreciated !!
NovakTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 11:50 AM   #259
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: St Albert AB. CA
Posts: 1,294
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoracer View Post
Hey All, just a quick note regarding the Mongoose ESC. Used it in race conditions yesterday during our club race. I've mentioned the powerful brakes and they lived up to that statement. The max setting is 7 and proved to be too much even for this late braking driver.
Everything else was perfect. Motor and esc temps were excellent in the 85 degree Florida air. Motor never saw more than 130.
The Mongoose is a keeper. I'm only 1 voice but I'd like to ask Rob to consider adding this one to the allowed list.
Thanks Novak for the tremendous support of VTA. Much appreciated !!
What FDR are u running, and what batteries are u using???? I wonder if I can run a 21.5 ballistic with the Mongoose ( 21.5 instead of 25.5 for large track) on a 140' X 80' outdoor asphalt track. We are looking at a VTA series, we race evenings in the summer usually no more than 60 to 70 degrees temp. We previously ran silver cans and it was an entry level GT class.
THEBIGBULL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 01:18 PM   #260
Company Representative
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,891
Default

We will be adding information about the compatibility of the Mongoose with 540 motors, and will probably spec it 13.5T and above. It should run fine with 21.5T; keep an eye on your motor and esc temps.

If you do run it with a 21.5T, you are invited to post your experience in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEBIGBULL View Post
What FDR are u running, and what batteries are u using???? I wonder if I can run a 21.5 ballistic with the Mongoose ( 21.5 instead of 25.5 for large track) on a 140' X 80' outdoor asphalt track. We are looking at a VTA series, we race evenings in the summer usually no more than 60 to 70 degrees temp. We previously ran silver cans and it was an entry level GT class.
NovakTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 02:25 PM   #261
Company Representative
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,891
Default

I have added both the new and RMF versions of our Mongoose escs to our USVTA store.
NovakTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 07:25 AM   #262
Tech Champion
 
DARKSIDE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Nashville-Memphis
Posts: 8,573
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

here is my Goose and 25.5 in my TC3...great work Novak and USVTA
Attached Thumbnails
TeamNovak (U.S Vintage Trans-Am)-usvta-scale-nationals-2011-002.jpg   TeamNovak (U.S Vintage Trans-Am)-usvta-scale-nationals-2011-003.jpg   TeamNovak (U.S Vintage Trans-Am)-usvta-scale-nationals-2011-005.jpg   TeamNovak (U.S Vintage Trans-Am)-usvta-scale-nationals-2011-006.jpg   TeamNovak (U.S Vintage Trans-Am)-usvta-scale-nationals-2011-008.jpg  

__________________
Myron "BATTMAN" Kinnard
Team Associated/Reedy Powered/PROTOform/OTT/1UP
Apex Raceway and Hobbies
1172 Park Ave, Murfreesboro, TN 37129
DARKSIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 11:10 AM   #263
Company Representative
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: SoCal
Posts: 2,891
Default

We have announced a new controller---the Edge---that will be perfect for those USVTA racers needing a much smaller esc for their installations. Our new Edge is affordably priced to appeal to newcomers wanting to get involved in this series.

I have added this new item to the USVTA section of our on-line store. LHS supporting this series will be able to order the Edge directly from their distributors. Several months ago, we made our Ballistic 25.5T motors a distributed item, along with the 25.5T replacement wound stator. Encourage your hobby dealer to stock these items, along with our GTB2 and Mongoose controllers, for the upcoming season.
NovakTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 06:52 PM   #264
Tech Addict
 
GP40X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 720
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Question for Novak2

I have both a 53-1720-1 XBR and an original GTB (has lipo cutoff). Which would be better suited to push my VTA around the track using a 25.5 Ballistic? Another question about the XBR. It appears to have a cap in the receiver harness. Is this normal? I bought it used.

Thanks,
__________________
Bill
"I used to be disgusted, now I'm just amused."
Team Qik
CustomWorks Outlaw Sprint Car
Xray T3 2012 USVTA
GP40X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 05:25 AM   #265
Tech Master
 
idbdoug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Above FltLevel300
Posts: 1,565
Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovakTwo View Post
We have announced a new controller---the Edge---that will be perfect for those USVTA racers needing a much smaller esc for their installations. Our new Edge is affordably priced to appeal to newcomers wanting to get involved in this series.

I have added this new item to the USVTA section of our on-line store. LHS supporting this series will be able to order the Edge directly from their distributors. Several months ago, we made our Ballistic 25.5T motors a distributed item, along with the 25.5T replacement wound stator. Encourage your hobby dealer to stock these items, along with our GTB2 and Mongoose controllers, for the upcoming season.
Is novak considering a 1cell version of the edge for 1/12 scale??
thanks
idbdoug
idbdoug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 05:26 AM   #266
Tech Master
 
idbdoug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Above FltLevel300
Posts: 1,565
Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP40X View Post
Question for Novak2

I have both a 53-1720-1 XBR and an original GTB (has lipo cutoff). Which would be better suited to push my VTA around the track using a 25.5 Ballistic? Another question about the XBR. It appears to have a cap in the receiver harness. Is this normal? I bought it used.

Thanks,
Hey Bill. I run the XBR at Mikes in VTA and I usually finish towards the front
idbdoug
idbdoug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 07:38 PM   #267
Tech Addict
 
GP40X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 720
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by idbdoug View Post
Hey Bill. I run the XBR at Mikes in VTA and I usually finish towards the front
idbdoug
Yeah, but you drive better than I do LOL Thanks Doug.
__________________
Bill
"I used to be disgusted, now I'm just amused."
Team Qik
CustomWorks Outlaw Sprint Car
Xray T3 2012 USVTA
GP40X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 05:14 PM   #268
Tech Champion
 
Scottrik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Billings, MT
Posts: 6,212
Trader Rating: 245 (100%+)
Default

Hey Novak2,

I encouraged my lhs to become a VTA stocking dealer and he has been told the program is discontinued. We are also (now) unable to find the $120 Havoc/GTB 25.5 combo (#3037V), the only combo we can find is the GTB2/Ballistic 25.5 combo for $160. Now looking at the regular price for both esc and motor it is clear this is quite a good deal for $160 (especially the ability to change stators in the Ballistic) but looking at it from a potential new racer's viewpoint...$160 is a third again more than $120.

Is there going to continue to be a "budget" combo available a la the $120 Havoc / 25.5 SS system?

Thanks,

Scottrik
__________________
Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we can identify their corporate sponsors.

THE REVOLUTION WILL NOT BE TELEVISED -Gil Scott-Heron (1949-2011)
Scottrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 05:26 PM   #269
Tech Champion
 
snoopyrc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Tunnel Hill GA
Posts: 5,046
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

I am not getting any brakes at all from my Mongoose. Granted I am not all that comfy with learning how to set it up, but I would think out of the box it would have some brakes. I do think it runs great but no brakes no drag brake. None.
__________________
www.battlefieldraceway.com Racing videos at http://www.youtube.com/snoopyrc
snoopyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 08:48 PM   #270
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: NY/FL
Posts: 3,376
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default

Gotta believe there's something wrong. When I changed from the Havoc to the Mongoose on my E4, I first had to dial down the drag brakes as mine were at 10 as required for the Havoc then I had to tighten the belts as i was getting some belt slip at setting 7. I brake very late and the Goose has been great for this. I use no tricks at the radio end. My M8 is setup with 0 trims, max on dual rate, 0 exponential.
Evoracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 09:36 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net