R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-28-2011, 09:35 AM   #196
Company Representative
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

I don't recall many failures of our Havoc 2S escs with our 25.5T motors. Much damage to escs is caused by external problems not directly related to the controller, but USVTA racers are generally pretty careful with their set-ups. We have compiled a list of external causes of esc damage that I have posted a few times.*

We enjoy working with USVTA and designing our store area for the products has provided a focus for our offerings; it's way easier for me to go directly to those pages when answering customers questions. After we designed the USVTA store, we added a "Short Course" store, a "Crawling" store and a "ROAR Sportsman" area.

Quote:
* Things that may cause serious ESC damage:

…poor soldering/cold solder joints
…defective battery cell, or pack
…low "C"-rated pack
…over-gearing
…weak rotor (demagnetized)
…shorted motor coil
...reverse polarity
…loose connectors
…defective servo (motor)
...damaged esc capacitor/module

Generally, when an esc burns up, the assumption is that it is a defective controller; it is always tempting to blame the item that is melting down. However, many other problems in your over-all set up may cause excessive current to be drawn through the esc causing this complete melt down. Continuing to run any electronic product after it has started showing signs of distress will generally completely destroy the item.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoracer View Post
On behalf of those who don't give a rat's ass about any perceived savings or who apparently have incredible skills or luck because we've never blown up a Havoc esc,
THANKS NOVAK for supporting VTA in such a big way.

I may consider a Chinese made alternative when I see ONE.....JUST ONE.... page on that manufacturer's website devoted to VTA. But don't worry ....I'm not holding my breath for THAT to happen.
NovakTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 09:50 AM   #197
Company Representative

Shipping items from the store may vary slightly, but here is the link to our shipping fees chart.

We stopped soldering our systems together last year. Now some soldering is required; we solder all the plugs and silicone wires to the escs. The only systems that we offer that require no soldering are the Traxxas compatible products in our Short Course store. These Plug 'N Play systems are for the Slashes---2WD and 4x4 SCTs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraRman View Post
Are these systems already pre wired, or do you have to wire and solder things up yourself?
I would rather have mine pre soldered.

How much is shipping in the USA on these from Novacs site?

Lynn
Old 02-28-2011, 10:48 AM   #198
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Anyone have any tips for mounting a Havoc in a TA05 chassis?
Since the footprint is so large it won't fit down into the area that is designed for the ESC. I've been using 3 layers of servo tape to mount it so that it will reach, but it still comes loose occasionally (usually in the Main).
I really don't want to weaken the chassis by dremmeling away the sides.

Thanks,

"If God had meant for us to drive through the front wheels, he never would have allowed us to invent the ring & pinion"
kwkride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 04:56 PM   #199
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwkride View Post
Since the footprint is so large it won't fit down into the area that is designed for the ESC. I've been using 3 layers of servo tape to mount it so that it will reach, but it still comes loose occasionally (usually in the Main).

Thanks,
Try using the clear servo tape from Parma. It is sticker and thicker than normal servo tape, but you will still need a triple layer to raise the esc high enough to clear the edge of the chassis.

Good luck!!!!!!!
mooby64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 07:48 PM   #200
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Novak 2, ygpm
1172 Park Ave, Murfreesboro, TN 37129
DARKSIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 10:43 PM   #201
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovakTwo View Post
There are questions about the differences between the Novak Havoc 2S and the Cirtix escs approved for USVTA. A while ago we did a comparison for an OEM customer:

TeamNovak's Havoc 2S:

· Thermal Protection – protects customer’s electronics investment
· Easy One-Touch Set-Up—no external programming card
· Fully Programmable Interface with 9 adjustable parameters and easy interface
· No Built-In Timing or USB Interface—for consistent power for all drivers
· Low RDS on-resistance for the price point; 0.0012 ohms. (GTB2 is 0.00040ohms.)
.....Note: Cirtix published on-resistance is 0.0050. The Havoc 2S on-resistance is over 4 times lower, which results in faster speeds
· True, 3-amp BEC
.....Note: Cirtix claims to have a 2-amp BEC. Upon inspection, the Cirtix ESC uses two, 0.5 amp regulators in parallel for an effective 1.0 amp. Additionally, the drop-out voltage for the Cirtix ESC regulators is 2 volts compared to 0.4 volts @ 3 amps that our Havoc 2S uses.
· Excellent Low-voltage operation
.....Note: See above information about drop-out voltage of the Cirtix ESC.
· Built-In LiPo Cut-Off Circuitry
· Motor and ESC are pre-wired with bullet connectors for easy, no-solder installation of the motor
· ESC has an 8.5T motor limit

· Motor has high copper-fill motor stator for faster accelerations
· Motor has a large front bearing (1/2” x 3/16”) for increased load handling and bearing life.
.....Note: Cirtix motor uses a 1/8” inside diameter bearing which Novak went away from several years ago due to reliability issues.

· Eligible for Novak comprehensive TeamNovak ESC Trade-In Program. A customer ready for a higher-performance ESC (GTB, Havoc Pro, Havoc Pro SC, Kinetic) or Motor (Ballistic) can trade in his equipment at a reduced cost as compared to buying a new product.
· Readily available service parts/accessories for both ESC and Motor
· Built and serviced by Novak in Irvine, CA
· 120-Day Warranty—with quick, USA replacement service if customer has any problems.

TeamNovak's Vintage Trans-Am Store

Refer to the thread below for another major difference. To summarize v1.0 of the Cirtix isn't compatable with the Novak 25.5. No software upgrade, no way to tell the difference. When I asked, no one said anything. I thought it was the motor, Novak replaced it no questions for me within a week with shipping. Get it back, still no. Its the ESC. Send it back to SP. Takes 4 weeks to get it back. Finally get it back. Worked for 5 minutes, trashed the 25.5. I threw the SP ESC in the trash can. Bought Havok, Novak replaced 2nd motor for free within 1 week a second time. No problems ever since. All the shipping cost me nearly 1/2 a racing season. Do you feel lucky?

http://www.rctech.net/forum/radio-el...ak-25-5-a.html
Old 03-01-2011, 05:25 AM   #202
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Quote:
There are questions about the differences between the Novak Havoc 2S and the Cirtix escs approved for USVTA. A while ago we did a comparison for an OEM customer:

TeamNovak's Havoc 2S:

· Thermal Protection – protects customer’s electronics investment
· Easy One-Touch Set-Up—no external programming card
· Fully Programmable Interface with 9 adjustable parameters and easy interface
· Low RDS on-resistance for the price point; 0.0012 ohms. (GTB2 is 0.00040ohms.)
.....Note: Cirtix published on-resistance is 0.0050. The Havoc 2S on-resistance is over 4 times lower, which results in faster speeds
· True, 3-amp BEC
.....Note: Cirtix claims to have a 2-amp BEC. Upon inspection, the Cirtix ESC uses two, 0.5 amp regulators in parallel for an effective 1.0 amp. Additionally, the drop-out voltage for the Cirtix ESC regulators is 2 volts compared to 0.4 volts @ 3 amps that our Havoc 2S uses.
· Excellent Low-voltage operation
.....Note: See above information about drop-out voltage of the Cirtix ESC.
· Built-In LiPo Cut-Off Circuitry
· Motor and ESC are pre-wired with bullet connectors for easy, no-solder installation of the motor
· ESC has an 8.5T motor limit

· Motor has high copper-fill motor stator for faster accelerations
· Motor has a large front bearing (1/2” x 3/16”) for increased load handling and bearing life.
.....Note: Cirtix motor uses a 1/8” inside diameter bearing which Novak went away from several years ago due to reliability issues.

· Eligible for Novak comprehensive TeamNovak ESC Trade-In Program. A customer ready for a higher-performance ESC (GTB, Havoc Pro, Havoc Pro SC, Kinetic) or Motor (Ballistic) can trade in his equipment at a reduced cost as compared to buying a new product.
· Readily available service parts/accessories for both ESC and Motor
· Built and serviced by Novak in Irvine, CA
· 120-Day Warranty—with quick, USA replacement service if customer has any problems.

TeamNovak's Vintage Trans-Am Store
All this is really interesting, but due to the size of the Cirtix I can put my MICRO receiver back on my chassis plate where it belongs AND I have yet to have my Cirtix shut down on me during a race like the Havok used to. Sure my Havok may have less internal resistance but it looks slower than shit sitting there dead on the track DURING the race. I'll choose size and dependability over IR any day. Thank you Speed Passion!
Old 03-01-2011, 08:28 AM   #203
Company Representative

I don't know if installing the low-profile heat sink would help any with our installation. Could you mount it on its side?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwkride View Post

Thanks,
Old 03-01-2011, 09:16 AM   #204
Tech Master

Quote:
I don't know if installing the low-profile heat sink would help any with our installation. Could you mount it on its side?
Unfortunately, the lower heatsink wouldn't help.
Height of the ESC has never been a problem.

Mounting it on it's side wouldn't help either because of the length.

The problem is the length of the PCB sticking out of the ESC on two sides.

If I could trim it off at the lines in this picture, then it would fit in just fine.
It wouldn't do me much good though. LOL

"If God had meant for us to drive through the front wheels, he never would have allowed us to invent the ring & pinion"
kwkride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 09:29 AM   #205
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Have you thought about trading the Havoc for a Havoc Pro, a Mongoose or a GTB2? I know this isn't what you were thinking about but it might be something to consider before you put more mileage on the Havoc.

BTW, my local Hobbytown has 2 brand new Mongoose esc's for 1/2 price. $50 bucks + tax. If you'd be interested let me know and we'll work it out.
Evoracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 09:47 AM   #206
Company Representative

Do you have any info about running the Mongoose in USVTA? Some guys are running it with 540 motors in 1/12 scale, but I don't (personally) have any feedback on the performance. The on-resistance of the Mongoose is probably fine for the 25.5T motors. And, it is cheap...

Quote:
Have you thought about trading the Havoc for a Havoc Pro, a Mongoose or a GTB2? I know this isn't what you were thinking about but it might be something to consider before you put more mileage on the Havoc.

BTW, my local Hobbytown has 2 brand new Mongoose esc's for 1/2 price. $50 bucks + tax. If you'd be interested let me know and we'll work it out.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:53 AM   #207
Tech Elite

Quote:
Do you have any info about running the Mongoose in USVTA? Some guys are running it with 540 motors in 1/12 scale, but I don't (personally) have any feedback on the performance. The on-resistance of the Mongoose is probably fine for the 25.5T motors. And, it is cheap...
NOW you tell me !!
1 of our drivers is using the Mongoose w/25.5 and it works great. Actually, he followed my advice because I was following your suggestion from awhile back.

Uh, Oh....we're both in trouble if his esc takes a dump. And YES....I will throw you under the bus for it. I can't afford to lose my God like status as Heap Big Cheese Mr. know it all club President.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:03 AM   #208
Company Representative

Quote:
NOW you tell me !!
1 of our drivers is using the Mongoose w/25.5 and it works great. Actually, he followed my advice because I was following your suggestion from awhile back.

Uh, Oh....we're both in trouble if his esc takes a dump. And YES....I will throw you under the bus for it. I can't afford to lose my God like status as Heap Big Cheese Mr. know it all club President.
Now, I am at your mercy.....

But, on the other hand, you have (successfully) used our lonely little Mongoose in the 25.5T USVTA.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:40 AM   #209
Company Representative

I was checking the Mongoose specs and the RDS-on is 0.00380 ohms and the BEC is 6V/2A. The on resistance of our Mongoose is lower than the Cirtix, which translates into better performance.

Size: (29mm x 24mm x 16.8mm) (1.15in x 0.95in x 0.66in)
Weight: (21.7g) 0.77oz
Old 03-01-2011, 11:41 AM   #210
Tech Elite

Now i'm curious though. Is there any particular reason it shouldn't work ? He's good on speed at reasonable gear ratios , no problems so far with temperatures. So is there any anything you think we might need to pay special attention to ??