R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-16-2004, 02:34 AM   #31
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Burlap

I started off with a TL-01. They are a strong chassis, with thick A-arms, so they wont break in a hurry. A weakness with the TL01 would be the steering. I totalled 5 servos with that chassis, because the steering arms are directly connected to the servo, and any large shock will strip the gears in a servo.

I'm currently running a TA04 in novice class racing, and a TL01 is giving me the shits in it, so it shows that a well tuned TL01 will give better competitors a hard time.
Burlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 06:25 AM   #32
Tech Rookie

Goes to show maybe I didn't do enough research on the battery / charger item...

I bought those batteries thinking they were decent becasue of the 3000 number. I guess there is much more to know than that! I should have figured since I have been racing motorcycles competitively for almost 9 years...Is it worth me re-doing the packs on these batteries?

Lastly, the easy way out...I have a total (with shipping) of about $195 in the package...Do I sell it all (before I use it all) with a small loss and buy all new stuff?

I bought this stuff on a whim...Didn't do any research...Just remembered the Tamiya that I had about 20 years ago...I also had a Team Associated RC12i elec car...I was about 14 yrs old then...I enjoyed the building / tuning of the cars...That's why I wanted to buy it in kit form...

But for a few bucks more...Should I start with something more competitive? I still want to keep the INITITAL costs down...

Thanks!
zracer196 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 07:43 AM   #33
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John Fontaine

Mark, if you have any questions on batteries and chargers let me know. I race for Fukuyama Racing and can provide you enough knowledge to help you get started in the right direction. Just send me a PM.

Happy Racing
John
Old 03-16-2004, 07:50 AM   #34
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Have some fun with the car first...And then decide whether you want to compete in r/c racing.

Like real racing...The burnout factor can be fairly high. Locally, I can race five times a week from spring to fall; but, two is enough for me.

Otherwise, it will be like taking a vacation with your bank account in comparison to motorcycle/car racing. You will have ALL THIS MONEY to do other things with.

Bill
SCCA FV #76...he, he...

And a pair of Associated B6 buggies for turf and clay tracks.
Still Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 07:58 AM   #35
Tech Apprentice

i might be wrong but dosn't the TL-01 still come with a msc?...if so then you will need to upgrade to an esc eventually to be competive..........
h22ah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 09:09 AM   #36
Tech Elite

Default New To R/C...Bad choices?

zracer196;

With your racing background, I think you will find that you will want to race your car.

The TL01 can be made to handle decent, but is in no way competitive with the current crop of race bred cars. Once you start racing, you'll KNOW when it's time to up-grade to a better car.
Besides, you can always save the Tamiya for the little one.

Good luck and have fun,
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 09:23 AM   #37
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Mark, don't sweat it !!
First, the TL01 is a good car to start with. BUT....It has it's limitations. You probably could have found a used higher performance chassis for the money you spent on yours. Actually....75 bucks for that brand new kit is pretty good.

Second, the batteries are worth changing to stick packs IF YOU DON'T MIND DOING THE WORK. I said that loudly because this is strictly up to you. It's not real difficult and if you have decent soldering skills, it'll be fine. You could also keep these batteries and put them aside for a later date and maybe a different car. Cheap practice packs will be something you'll want anyways. Many other Tamiya cars use side x side batts and most other manufacturers use them. Personally, that charger is useless. You'll spend more time waiting for batteries to charge when you could be out racing. Cheap quick charge ( 10-15 minutes) units are available and you might even pick up a good deal on a much better charger through the classifieds. Also, for 45 bucks you can get a pretty good 3300 battery pre-assembled as a stick pack with the Tamiya connector if you contact Pro Match. They're running a special this month on the assembly.

The car will come with a manual speed control. It's functional and will do fine with the supplied motor BUT, you really should get a decent speed control. No need to buy a really high performance model. I'll guarantee you can find a perfect choice on ebay. maybe even new for less than 50 bucks. You can probably pick a used one up for around 30. Don't worry about buying a "competitive" unit. You know how that goes......the minute they say "competitive" , the price goes up. I just looked in rc car action magazine. You can get a good NEW unit for 40 bucks and a bit better for 50.

I think you realise that we're here to help. Feel free to contact me and I'll be glad to help you shop for new or used.
Evoracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 10:50 AM   #38
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

We had a guy run a TL01 stock by us in our sportsman class, which basically is a stock class except for the motor and the battery choice. He did ok, though he did have to get ball bearings and oil filled shocks to be competitive.

I haven't checked out your auction listings, but if what you bought was brand new, you probably should sell it brand new. Things on Ebay god down significantly in price as soon as that "New" label can't be applied. You would be suprised how much a 1 day used FT TC3 will go for versus a new FT TC3 ( I have seen them go as low as 120 bucks , considering new its like $270 ).

That said, being you raced motorcycles, you probably will want to race this. i know people still do bashing, but with touring cars, I think people are more inclined to race it than offroad vehicles.

I would probably do the following:

1. Sell the TL01 if it is brand new, try to get your money back basically. If not new, hold on to if for now.

2. Find your closest hobby shop that races touring cars and check out a race and see what classes they run. If you are lucky and have more than one shop close to you, check them all out and see what you think. Also see if they have a class specifically for beginners and the requirements to qualify for that class.

3. After decided on a shop, buy your gear to go with the rules at the track. If they have only a stock and modified class, go with stock. Avoid modified for now.

If you are going to run a traditional stock class, you probably want to get the following:

1. 3 sets of racing quality battery packs, 2 practice packs
- I would recommend either Promatch or ZXRacing Batteries.
I have had both and have had good luck with each. ZXRacing
is the cheaper of the two. For starting out, the 1.15 volt
matched packs or 1.16 are plenty for sport racing. With
promatch they will assemble the cells for you, ZX Racing
might too. Get Side by side configuration if you get a new
kit.

2. Get good connectors. The white connectors that come with your battery pack, charger, and ESC ( discussed later ) are junk. they will melt on you. pick up either deans connectors or powerpoles. You will need to put these on yourself or get the hobby shop to do it for you. I personally like powerpoles as they are easier to assemble, though deans are great too.

3. Get a good charger. This probably will be one of the best buys you can make IMHO. Don't skimp here, You don't need the turbo 35 $400 charger, but don't get a timed one either. Integy makes realy good stuff as well as associated. I personally like the Integy 16x4 charger, or 16x3 pro v2.5 charger. Either will do a pretty good job. For a better Charger with more features, the Reedy Quasar Pro, my current charger is one of the best out there.

4. Get a radio that at a minimum allows you to control how much steering throw you have. You don't need one with all the bells and wistles. You probably can get one that will do the job for under %50 bucks that has that feature, without it, it will get very frustrating when you drive.

5. Get a good stock motor. I personally run only Reedy Motors after too many issues with Trinity stuff, but others have success so you can give them a try. If you do get say a Reedy MVP stock motor, make sure to order from big jim racing ( www.bigjimracing.com ) the narrow 766 brushes and put those on. For trinity I hear the P2k2 Pro is a good motor.

6. ESC selection. Here, there are many choices. For sport guys, I see that the duratrax streak ESC actually performs quite well and is very cheap. Only thing I don't like about the ESC is that it doesn't do 6V BEC. but for the money, you can't go wrong there. if you much have reverse, there are various ESCs out there that will do the job. Futaba makes a pretty good esc called the MC330CR ( not the MC230CR ). can take a low turn motor eventually, has 6V BEC, and is very small, I think it also has reverse if you want.

There probably are other things to get as well, but alot of that is tool selection, tires, etc. Mainly what you find out about at the track.

If you do go with another vehicle, the TC3 is really nice and very similar in the various versions they have to the FTTC3, theyre race model. The Losi XXX-S is good too, though I think the TC3 in its cheap form is more competitive.

Most of all have fun with whatever you choose. Don't get overally concerned with how you start out driving, You will hit stuff and if other people in your class can't accept that its their problem not yours since you are the new guy. Besides, if they are so great, they should be in another class.
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 11:07 AM   #39
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default zracer196

Welcome to the wonderful world of RC!

later on you would tell your self, the amount of money that you spent in RC could have bought you a new bike!!!

Like what the others have said, the TL-01 is a good car to start with. It was also my first RC and hopped it upped to kingdom come! Then sold it really really cheap!

I got one again and set it up to join the GT Class of our local TCS races here.

Anyways, if you plan on making your car run great go here!!!!
http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/rc/...ps/tl01xb.html

again, welcome to the hobby!!!

peace and happy racing!

Lem
lem2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 11:43 AM   #40
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Is this a good group of people or what !!!??
Evoracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 12:05 PM   #41
Tech Rookie

Thanks Guys!

I'll let you know what I do tomorrow

Going to the local racing / hobby shop! uh oh...
Old 03-16-2004, 12:19 PM   #42
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John Fontaine

Good luck in your quest in RC. This hobby is very competitive if you decide to race and you'll find yourself sucked-in in no time.
Old 03-16-2004, 10:28 PM   #43
Tech Addict

RC's can be addictive
Techart27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 11:34 AM   #44
Tech Rookie

Just bought a TC3...Anyone want a new TL 01?
Old 03-17-2004, 11:37 AM   #45
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by zracer196
Just bought a TC3...Anyone want a new TL 01?
lol, that didn't take long.
JusBox is offline   Reply With Quote