Search

LRP SXX StockSpec ESC

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 03:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kev74
Hi Guys, I have a GTB Novak ESC, will it make a big improvement if I switch
to the SXX SS, since the GTB doesnt have timing? I'm running a 10.5t motor.

Thank you
Kevin
Yes it will but.... If you are going to spend your hard earned dollars I would buy a Tekin RS or RS Pro with Hotwire right now. I have 2 Tekins, an SXX Stock Spec, and a Black Diamond. The Tekins are still the best and more importantly I have had one for over a year and it is still relevant with software updates. My less than a year old SPX and SXX TC are collecting dust. I think once LRP gets the bugs worked out it will be a great speedo and very easy to setup. But honestly the game has changed and all speedo manufacturers need to follow Tekins lead. All speedos should be programmable or at least have upgradeable firmware.

Good luck,

Troy
Old 04-14-2010, 10:34 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Troy Mckune
Yes it will but.... If you are going to spend your hard earned dollars I would buy a Tekin RS or RS Pro with Hotwire right now. I have 2 Tekins, an SXX Stock Spec, and a Black Diamond. The Tekins are still the best and more importantly I have had one for over a year and it is still relevant with software updates. My less than a year old SPX and SXX TC are collecting dust. I think once LRP gets the bugs worked out it will be a great speedo and very easy to setup. But honestly the game has changed and all speedo manufacturers need to follow Tekins lead. All speedos should be programmable or at least have upgradeable firmware.

Good luck,

Troy
I have to say I disagree with what you say. First of all, you're talking about your old SPX and SXX TC, well the SXX TC is still the leading speedo for modified racing, with people like Groskamp, Völker, Hara, Moore, etc. etc. using one.

Furthermore you're SPX might be less than one year old, but the SPX is around for almost 2 years already (june/july 2008) and it was jut software in the old Sphere hardware with the speedo. The SXX TC has got new hardware, being of a completely different generation. All speedo's from around 1,5/2 years ago and older are completely outdated due to a big change in speedo's over the last year.

Than the LRP SXX SS is bugfree with the new Mk3 software, it also got another big powerboost compared with the new Mk2 software. And quite honestly, it's a lot easier setting up a LRP than a Tekin. With the LRP you don't need to bring your computer, you don't need to be a (semi-)electronics engineer. Just plug it in, set up seconds (in less than a minute) and you go fast. Setting up a speedo can't be easier. Besides the Tekin isn't perfect either, there are still people complaining than they have no, of hardly any brake.

Sorry to be so harsh, but when you take on a brand, at least make sure you know what you're talking about, instead of bashing on someone with guesses.
Old 04-15-2010, 12:03 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Hi Rick,

Im new to this forum as i just join the SXX SS group. I presume u r a LRP staff and shud be able to help me on this. Ive read previous post n i think the problem is like whats already been said, software bug in my MKII version. My car hav a cogging / jerking problem and it hits everywhere unpredictably (sometimes during starting, sometimes on long straight, sometimes cornering). Ive replace other motors and sensor cable but still the same problem. Is this because of my MKII software? MKIII software is the solution?

Thanks in advance
Old 04-15-2010, 12:29 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Rick Thomson
I have to say I disagree with what you say. First of all, you're talking about your old SPX and SXX TC, well the SXX TC is still the leading speedo for modified racing, with people like Groskamp, Völker, Hara, Moore, etc. etc. using one.

Furthermore you're SPX might be less than one year old, but the SPX is around for almost 2 years already (june/july 2008) and it was jut software in the old Sphere hardware with the speedo. The SXX TC has got new hardware, being of a completely different generation. All speedo's from around 1,5/2 years ago and older are completely outdated due to a big change in speedo's over the last year.

Than the LRP SXX SS is bugfree with the new Mk3 software, it also got another big powerboost compared with the new Mk2 software. And quite honestly, it's a lot easier setting up a LRP than a Tekin. With the LRP you don't need to bring your computer, you don't need to be a (semi-)electronics engineer. Just plug it in, set up seconds (in less than a minute) and you go fast. Setting up a speedo can't be easier. Besides the Tekin isn't perfect either, there are still people complaining than they have no, of hardly any brake.

Sorry to be so harsh, but when you take on a brand, at least make sure you know what you're talking about, instead of bashing on someone with guesses.
I disagree with you Rick. I've been running LRP exclusively for the past 4 years and I purchased 3 SXX TC in the last 12 months (i race on and off road, plus my daughter races aswell). For on road (10.5spec) they are out of date and not competitive. The SPX was out of date when the new SXX TC came out. I have a SXX SS (which cogs and I'm send back for upgrade) and RSpro. I would prefer the simplisity of LRP, however at 300USD every twelve months to keep pace with RSpro, I think I better learn how the Tekin works. Even when I get my SXX SS upgraded to Mk3, Tekin are talking about 205, which is meant to fix brakes. What happens then, do I buy a new LRP to keep up?

I have loved the LRP product, but if it is out of date everytime Tekin release a software upgrade, then times might be a changing.

Last edited by waOscar; 04-15-2010 at 01:03 AM.
Old 04-15-2010, 02:07 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rick Thomson

I don't think I was bashing at all. Especially not with guesses. Yes my SXX TC is a great speedo, but for mod only. I do run my SXX Stock spec and I like it a lot. It is smoother than the Tekin and has better breaks. It does however still have bugs that need to be worked out. The fact that I have to live without it for weeks as I wait to get it updated is frustrating. I do look forward to the day I don't need a laptop at the track. I do think LRP missed an opportunity to sell us all a $35 firmware update kit.

The SPX was still the speedo in TC stock classes until 203 came out which was last December. I loved the SPX and it's simplicity and it was solid as a rock (no bugs). Now its relegated to the bench. Maybe all throw it in an offroad buggy.

I was just trying to be honest with the guy.

Troy
Old 04-15-2010, 03:16 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by RockyMania
Hi Rick,

Im new to this forum as i just join the SXX SS group. I presume u r a LRP staff and shud be able to help me on this. Ive read previous post n i think the problem is like whats already been said, software bug in my MKII version. My car hav a cogging / jerking problem and it hits everywhere unpredictably (sometimes during starting, sometimes on long straight, sometimes cornering). Ive replace other motors and sensor cable but still the same problem. Is this because of my MKII software? MKIII software is the solution?

Thanks in advance
The problem most likely indeed is the Mk2 software you are using, but just to be sure make sure it's not just the sensorwire or the sensorplug that had dust in it. And no I'm not a LRP staffmember, jut an LRP product user with too much interest in electrics :-)

Originally Posted by waOscar
I disagree with you Rick. I've been running LRP exclusively for the past 4 years and I purchased 3 SXX TC in the last 12 months (i race on and off road, plus my daughter races aswell). For on road (10.5spec) they are out of date and not competitive. The SPX was out of date when the new SXX TC came out. I have a SXX SS (which cogs and I'm send back for upgrade) and RSpro. I would prefer the simplisity of LRP, however at 300USD every twelve months to keep pace with RSpro, I think I better learn how the Tekin works. Even when I get my SXX SS upgraded to Mk3, Tekin are talking about 205, which is meant to fix brakes. What happens then, do I buy a new LRP to keep up?

I have loved the LRP product, but if it is out of date everytime Tekin release a software upgrade, then times might be a changing.
As I said the SXX TC is the speedo to have in modified. The SPX is almost two years old, and bases upon the old Sphere series, which is much older technology. The new SXX SS will be competitive for more than just one year. And looking at it on the track, the LRP is the one that is overall the fastest/best: equal to others on the straights, better braking than the Tekin and smoother feeling in the infield.

I don't think I was bashing at all. Especially not with guesses. Yes my SXX TC is a great speedo, but for mod only. I do run my SXX Stock spec and I like it a lot. It is smoother than the Tekin and has better breaks. It does however still have bugs that need to be worked out. The fact that I have to live without it for weeks as I wait to get it updated is frustrating. I do look forward to the day I don't need a laptop at the track. I do think LRP missed an opportunity to sell us all a $35 firmware update kit.

The SPX was still the speedo in TC stock classes until 203 came out which was last December. I loved the SPX and it's simplicity and it was solid as a rock (no bugs). Now its relegated to the bench. Maybe all throw it in an offroad buggy.

I was just trying to be honest with the guy.

Troy
It was a shame indeed that LRP started selling the SXX SS too soon, they should have waited untill the Mk3 software was available. But now with the mk3 software it is the best Stock speedo on the market (and the easiest to use). So for people how want to buy a speedo now, the SXX SS is the speedo to go for.

They just have to make sure, the speedo they're buying is with the Mk3 software, and not an old one.
Old 04-15-2010, 03:55 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Can anyone give me a starting point for 1/12, 1S, 13.5 (X12), carpet, large track. I need rollout, feel, boost and motor timing please.
I have settings for a 10.5 of 54mpr, 4 feel, 6 boost and 4 dot but haven't had chance to try it yet.
Old 04-15-2010, 04:14 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by reynard55
Can anyone give me a starting point for 1/12, 1S, 13.5 (X12), carpet, large track. I need rollout, feel, boost and motor timing please.
I have settings for a 10.5 of 54mpr, 4 feel, 6 boost and 4 dot but haven't had chance to try it yet.

4 dot, feel 10, boost 8, 43-80 gearing with 43mm tire. I used this at the nats and had the fastest lap. I do think it needs some fine tuning maybe smaller pinion and/or 3 dot timing. Boost 9 was super fast with 30-80 gearing but slowed too much at the end. This was all with MK3 btw, MK2 requires different settings and gearing.

Last edited by chicky03; 04-15-2010 at 06:57 AM.
Old 04-15-2010, 06:17 AM
Tech Initiate

It was a shame indeed that LRP started selling the SXX SS too soon, they should have waited untill the Mk3 software was available. But now with the mk3 software it is the best Stock speedo on the market (and the easiest to use). So for people how want to buy a speedo now, the SXX SS is the speedo to go for.

They just have to make sure, the speedo they're buying is with the Mk3 software, and not an old one.[/QUOTE]

+1....Its matching and if not better in places than anything else I have ran against in 13.5 tourers(and I have a Tekin 203).... super smooth throtling with outstanding brakes,no point in having grunt without been able to stop with confidence.
Old 04-15-2010, 08:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 118 (100%+)

Who has the Mk3 in stock in the US?
Old 04-15-2010, 09:01 AM
Tech Rookie

Good luck,

Troy

Thanks for your info Troy.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:19 AM
Tech Adept

SXX Stock-Spec now In Stock on Tower Hobbies.
Does it mk2 or mk3 software?
Old 04-15-2010, 11:43 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by B.S.
SXX Stock-Spec now In Stock on Tower Hobbies.
Does it mk2 or mk3 software?
Not possible to tell unless LRP has informed Tower which version it is...
One way to know is to power it on. Two beeps with MKII and three beeps with MKIII.
Old 04-15-2010, 12:14 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Stein Tumert
Not possible to tell unless LRP has informed Tower which version it is...
One way to know is to power it on. Two beeps with MKII and three beeps with MKIII.
There is no way they will tell you because they don't want to pay for the software upgrade. If its MkII it will be your cost to send it in.

Its really funny that LRP did not accept the cost of updating their own ESC's when the software was bad. They have forever ruined their name among many racers who most likely will never go back to them.
Old 04-15-2010, 12:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (95%+)
Default where to buy

Hi all..
Rc Mushroom has the MK3 version in stock....
Ive tried all the settings with the RS-Pro...No matter what I do..I still have no high speed brakes..The SXX Stock spec craps all over the tekins...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.