R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-11-2010, 10:29 AM   #436
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by hacker View Post
theres nothing wrong with going 1fdr higher as a starting point to what he was usually gearing his spx. You gotta start somewhere!

8fdr at first does sound high for a 10.5 spx!
Most I know are in the 6's and some 7's, but there are the odd exception.
But whatever works for him.

and your post wasn't constructive either
I totally disagree with the FDR sounding too high. I've run the SPX to 9.0 FDR and have found that far and away the best, in combo with a Novak 10.5ss with full timing/punch 8. This is on an indoor track with a medium length straight. Before the latest Tekin firmware came out, it was the quickest thing out there.
maxg123456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 10:52 AM   #437
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by burito View Post
I do believe I had mentioned this before but for sure it doesn't hurt to repeat.

That "occasional" hesitation is due to sensor errors, we have seen that as well sometimes during testing. It doesn't happen to everyone and not very often, but usually can be fixed with finetuning the motor as it is actually a problem of the motor itself and not the speed-control.

What we have found during our own recent testing is that all these new "super powerful" algorithms are sensitive to proper sensor alignment inside the motor, if you have a motor with too large distance between magnet and sensors or a misaligned sensor board (not entirely parallel or offcenter to magnet) such problems can happen. It seems as problems are much smaller with our X12's, due to the very precise sensor alignment, but some of our competitors motors are more prone to sensor misalignment and therefore that results in more of such "micro stuttering".

Also something to consider is wiring, having sensor-/power-wires wrapped together can already cause massive problems! So it's better to have them completely separated.

We're also looking at ways to improve the sensor handling inside the speed-control even better then it is in Mk2, so it works 100% even with poor sensor alignment. It's my job to consistently improve the product of course...
Does it cause any damage to the motor when this happens? I am already using an X12 motor and have my power/sensor wires separated. I see the problem maybe 5-10 times in a race day. Once the car is moving at a good pace I usually don't see it.
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 10:59 AM   #438
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxg123456 View Post
I totally disagree with the FDR sounding too high. I've run the SPX to 9.0 FDR and have found that far and away the best, in combo with a Novak 10.5ss with full timing/punch 8. This is on an indoor track with a medium length straight. Before the latest Tekin firmware came out, it was the quickest thing out there.
It depends on the motor.
The Speedpassion motors must be geared heavier than the Novak and the Tekin motors.
I drove a Tekin motor with a gearing of 6,9FDR wile others were driving 5,4FDR or even heavier. As they did the same with there motor, than they lost top speed and there motor became to hot.
Tekin Redline 10,5
Protoform LTC-R
mikky32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 11:06 AM   #439
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikky32 View Post
It depends on the motor.
The Speedpassion motors must be geared heavier than the Novak and the Tekin motors.
I drove a Tekin motor with a gearing of 6,9FDR wile others were driving 5,4FDR or even heavier. As they did the same with there motor, than they lost top speed and there motor became to hot.
You're right. I had to go down to 5.8 to get a 13.5 Speed Passion Version 1 working ok with the SPX on punch 8.
maxg123456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 11:13 AM   #440
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxg123456 View Post
You're right. I had to go down to 5.8 to get a 13.5 Speed Passion Version 1 working ok with the SPX on punch 8.
I have several motors and all need other gearing.
The GM must also be geared heavier.

As you gear a Speedpassion lighter it looses all it's power.
Tekin Redline 10,5
Protoform LTC-R
mikky32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 01:35 PM   #441
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by burito View Post
I do believe I had mentioned this before but for sure it doesn't hurt to repeat.

That "occasional" hesitation is due to sensor errors, we have seen that as well sometimes during testing. It doesn't happen to everyone and not very often, but usually can be fixed with finetuning the motor as it is actually a problem of the motor itself and not the speed-control.

What we have found during our own recent testing is that all these new "super powerful" algorithms are sensitive to proper sensor alignment inside the motor, if you have a motor with too large distance between magnet and sensors or a misaligned sensor board (not entirely parallel or offcenter to magnet) such problems can happen. It seems as problems are much smaller with our X12's, due to the very precise sensor alignment, but some of our competitors motors are more prone to sensor misalignment and therefore that results in more of such "micro stuttering".

Also something to consider is wiring, having sensor-/power-wires wrapped together can already cause massive problems! So it's better to have them completely separated.

We're also looking at ways to improve the sensor handling inside the speed-control even better then it is in Mk2, so it works 100% even with poor sensor alignment. It's my job to consistently improve the product of course...
Thanks for the info. Like the post below, mine does not cog all the time...just a few times during a race night. I'm not opposed to trying new motors, but it looks like the x12's are having the problem as well. I guess what I would like to know is...should I send mine back to AE in hopes I will get new ones that do not have this problem or should I test new motors, gearing, and timing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by or8ital View Post
Does it cause any damage to the motor when this happens? I am already using an X12 motor and have my power/sensor wires separated. I see the problem maybe 5-10 times in a race day. Once the car is moving at a good pace I usually don't see it.

Kyosho America l Peak l AKA l Portland RC Raceway
JSmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 03:29 PM   #442
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Anyone noticed that when they turn their speedy off, you get a little kick out of the motor? Not a massive issue, just different
Old 03-11-2010, 04:23 PM   #443
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by niskie View Post
Anyone noticed that when they turn their speedy off, you get a little kick out of the motor? Not a massive issue, just different
yes
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 04:26 PM   #444
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

anyone wants one of these puppies....

http://www.speedtechrc.com
www.facebook.com/HebikiDesignWorks
Hebiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 04:56 PM   #445
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by niskie View Post
Yep mine dose it to
Old 03-11-2010, 06:40 PM   #446
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 83 (100%+)

Ive had the same issue with mine too. I ran the speedo for the first time man this thing is crazy fast!!!! my settings were 3-3-6-0 geared at a 7.1 with a duo 1 middle hole 17.5. Anyone hace any suggestions on set up mid sized track 80ft ish strait fairly open with good flow low to med traction. Thanks guys
Rdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 06:55 PM   #447
Tech Regular

has anyone had a chance to compare the new esc to the tekin yet?
jiggamacdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 07:47 PM   #448
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 83 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiggamacdaddy View Post
has anyone had a chance to compare the new esc to the tekin yet?
I did and I would say its right there with them, just need to dial it in a bit and I think it''ll be faster.
Rdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 08:01 PM   #449
Tech Regular

FOR PEOPLE GOING FROM SPX or SXX to the new SXX S.S.

throw everything out the window you think you know from your sphere, spx or sxx...

this is so different!
I'm talking 13.5, off road, but I will say I went from a spx (or sxx for that matter) to a sxx/ss and it is learning all over again.

I went down 9 teeth on the pinion and my motor still comes off 40 degrees hotter than ever, uses 75% more of my battery and actually gets the esc hot!

I loved the spx and sxx for ease of use and set up, I'd consider them dummy escs... where as the sxx/ss seems to be more 'expert only'

being that there are just so many more factors...
feel... 000 vs.0000... boost... etc, and undrgearing heated up my motor worse than over gearing.... definitely a new issue for me in the world of stock motors!

I think if you are hoping to buy this, tape it down and be faster... save your money!

the speed this esc can deliver (although substantial) comes at as cost of smoothness, ease of setup and reliability... you could easily spend a whole day just figureing out gearing and settings on this, so if you need to spend time figuring out anything else on your car do that first.... and plan on spending 10 runs dialing in this very advanced speedo
bpspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 09:34 PM   #450
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpspeed View Post
FOR PEOPLE GOING FROM SPX or SXX to the new SXX S.S.

throw everything out the window you think you know from your sphere, spx or sxx...

this is so different!
I'm talking 13.5, off road, but I will say I went from a spx (or sxx for that matter) to a sxx/ss and it is learning all over again.

I went down 9 teeth on the pinion and my motor still comes off 40 degrees hotter than ever, uses 75% more of my battery and actually gets the esc hot!

I loved the spx and sxx for ease of use and set up, I'd consider them dummy escs... where as the sxx/ss seems to be more 'expert only'

being that there are just so many more factors...
feel... 000 vs.0000... boost... etc, and undrgearing heated up my motor worse than over gearing.... definitely a new issue for me in the world of stock motors!

I think if you are hoping to buy this, tape it down and be faster... save your money!

the speed this esc can deliver (although substantial) comes at as cost of smoothness, ease of setup and reliability... you could easily spend a whole day just figureing out gearing and settings on this, so if you need to spend time figuring out anything else on your car do that first.... and plan on spending 10 runs dialing in this very advanced speedo
its kind of a back handed compliment
www.facebook.com/HebikiDesignWorks
Hebiki is offline   Reply With Quote