R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-11-2010, 06:21 AM   #421
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_K View Post
Yesterday on the track I heard that there are still problems with the MK2 version, and that there where some test's last weekend with an MK3 version. Can you confirm this? Will there a be a New Mark Version, and when will it be out?
If I have to send this new ESC somewhere to have its software updated, I'm going to break some kind of record for the most consecutive swear words used in a single sentence.

You know, it wasn't long ago Reto was saying that how unlike Tekin, they don't use their customers to beta test software.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 06:30 AM   #422
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
If I have to send this new ESC somewhere to have its software updated, I'm going to break some kind of record for the most consecutive swear words used in a single sentence.

You know, it wasn't long ago Reto was saying that how unlike Tekin, they don't use their customers to beta test software.
Sounds very similar to some other ESC brand somewhere.... seems like most companies that produces these new generation high dynamic timing esc are having problems with their new line of speed controllers...

Looks like the solution to stock class is approaching... Almost all esc is reaching its limits.. Soon the level of playing field will slowly equalize...

Or so we hope...
Tpg racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 06:56 AM   #423
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 141 (100%+)

the problems people are having is cos they dont run the speed control at profile 10, which it is designed for

seriously has anyone used profile 10?

I would gather it would be like running profile 8 on the spx and more
hacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 06:59 AM   #424
Tech Adept

Send a message via ICQ to vitomon Send a message via Skype™ to vitomon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hacker View Post
the problems people are having is cos they dont run the speed control at profile 10, which it is designed for

seriously has anyone used profile 10?

I would gather it would be like running profile 8 on the spx and more
seriously?? are you nuts? with the x12 it would take approx. 1.5 min to burn the motor at 200C. thats in no way a solution.

waiting on LRP or Reto to shine some light on this situation.
vitomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 07:19 AM   #425
Tech Elite

half joking mate.

but seriously, I use to run profile 8 on the spx. The sxx ss after all is a speed control for spec class's, and if you want everything out of a spec motor, then why not bump it up to profile 8 and above. I dare say you are leaving alot out on the track if you did not run profile 8 or above. If you gear conservatively smart, with minimal motor timing, I dont see why not! If your going to run profile 4,5 or 6, you might as well run a standard sxx or an old school sphere.

mine is still in the box however so have no hard data to back up.
Old 03-11-2010, 07:45 AM   #426
Tech Adept

Quote:
half joking mate.

but seriously, I use to run profile 8 on the spx. The sxx ss after all is a speed control for spec class's, and if you want everything out of a spec motor, then why not bump it up to profile 8 and above. I dare say you are leaving alot out on the track if you did not run profile 8 or above. If you gear conservatively smart, with minimal motor timing, I dont see why not! If your going to run profile 4,5 or 6, you might as well run a standard sxx or an old school sphere.

I actually understand your point, however the X12 is one of the highest powered motors on the market right now and it cannot take that. Thats not the esc fault. The X12 with motor fully retarded is still got advanced timing. The X12 is still a great motor, because it has huuuge torque. I know a few that have used it with other escs, like the GM, Tekin etc that have got it running great, but again with the timing fully retarded.

Punch 8-9/Maybe 10 can work with a Novak 10.5ss with full motor timing from what i've heard from a fellow driver, but at the moment the esc shuts down 4 mins in if the motor has no form of cooling, thanks to the esc shut down when it senses the motors temps are too high. (Which is actually a good idea from LRP).

With a good fan it will do the full 5 mins with a Novak 10.5ss and its absolutely rapid in comparison with the same combo used with an SPX on punch 8, FDR around 8.5 for indoors. However, I don't want a LRP/Nosram SXX stock, because of the issues it has. Its a great esc, no doubt, but I don't want to buy one knowing I could be one of the unlucky ones, which are too on the high side.
maxg123456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 07:50 AM   #427
Tech Addict

I do believe I had mentioned this before but for sure it doesn't hurt to repeat.

That "occasional" hesitation is due to sensor errors, we have seen that as well sometimes during testing. It doesn't happen to everyone and not very often, but usually can be fixed with finetuning the motor as it is actually a problem of the motor itself and not the speed-control.

What we have found during our own recent testing is that all these new "super powerful" algorithms are sensitive to proper sensor alignment inside the motor, if you have a motor with too large distance between magnet and sensors or a misaligned sensor board (not entirely parallel or offcenter to magnet) such problems can happen. It seems as problems are much smaller with our X12's, due to the very precise sensor alignment, but some of our competitors motors are more prone to sensor misalignment and therefore that results in more of such "micro stuttering".

Also something to consider is wiring, having sensor-/power-wires wrapped together can already cause massive problems! So it's better to have them completely separated.

We're also looking at ways to improve the sensor handling inside the speed-control even better then it is in Mk2, so it works 100% even with poor sensor alignment. It's my job to consistently improve the product of course...
Old 03-11-2010, 07:52 AM   #428
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to chicky03

Quote:
half joking mate.

The SXX stock spec is an entirely different speedo that the spx or std sxx. There is no way to compare. The spx and sxx adjust timing but the SXX Stock spec actually adds horsepower as well as timing. You can see it on any dyno. For 8.4 lipo X12 motors boost 4 is a really good place to start and where I run mine, 17.5-13.5. For the duo motors I have seen it run as high as 6 and there is a possibility you can go as high as 7, but I'd be careful. Profile 8-10 are more for 3.7v 12th, at the snowbirds the fastest car there ran boost 10 with a duo for 17.5 but it has not worked well for others, in 10.5 and the X12 motors however we all ran boost 6.

Its better to start low boost than high and I'd pick a final drive of 6 for 17.5 to start and for 13.5 7 fd. Change the boost setting from there up or down one at a time to see where the gains are, Sometimes lower profile and lower final drive numbers can be better than higher boost and higher final drives.

Last night for me X12 13.5 rubber tires on a 90x40 track was, 4 dot timing, 7.3 final drive, boost 4, with a fan was working really good.

Hope this helps!

Paul
Old 03-11-2010, 08:07 AM   #429
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecatts View Post
Hi all..Wanting to know if any one can post a start setting for 10.5 nemissi/duo 2using the SXX stock speck..
Large fast track....
Please..as I dont want to blow motors/esc..
Using the SPX stock spec...FDR of 8.1 with duo 2 10.5..Xray-T3...
FDR of 8.4 nemisis 10.5..
Mike
Quote:
8 fdr is too high for spx I would imagine, thats in the region of tekin 203.

I would go 1 fdr higher to start with the sxx ss, but why dont you do all the testing and get back to us
Quote:
half joking mate.

Hacker, Mikes asking for advice on this new speedy and this is not it mate. Seeing as your too lazy to do any testing here is an on board video of mikes and you can watch it and tell me that he has the wrong gearing at 8 fdr with spx and Duo2.
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Every track and driver is different and you are not adding anything constructive to this discussion...

Everyone else, I dont think the current problems are soft ware related as they seem to be hardware/sensor related. It will be a while before i get one of these as I bought a Tekin a month ago so itll be a while till the finance minister releases my next lot of funds IMO those who are giving advice on this speedy and have not used it should stop being keyboard experts as after all, its just an opinion without hard facts.

LRP have great products and this speedy is going to be no different. My 2c....

Walter Rc Hobby - Serpent 4X

Nosram - R1wurks - Sanwa - Hudy - Muchmore
Benzaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 08:25 AM   #430
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by burito View Post
I do believe I had mentioned this before but for sure it doesn't hurt to repeat.

That "occasional" hesitation is due to sensor errors, we have seen that as well sometimes during testing. It doesn't happen to everyone and not very often, but usually can be fixed with finetuning the motor as it is actually a problem of the motor itself and not the speed-control.

What we have found during our own recent testing is that all these new "super powerful" algorithms are sensitive to proper sensor alignment inside the motor, if you have a motor with too large distance between magnet and sensors or a misaligned sensor board (not entirely parallel or offcenter to magnet) such problems can happen. It seems as problems are much smaller with our X12's, due to the very precise sensor alignment, but some of our competitors motors are more prone to sensor misalignment and therefore that results in more of such "micro stuttering".

Also something to consider is wiring, having sensor-/power-wires wrapped together can already cause massive problems! So it's better to have them completely separated.

We're also looking at ways to improve the sensor handling inside the speed-control even better then it is in Mk2, so it works 100% even with poor sensor alignment. It's my job to consistently improve the product of course...
hi reto,
thx for your answer. at least somebody from lrp gives information to us and tries to solve the problems.

however, what do you mean by finetuning the motor??
with the x11 we have, there are no shimms inside and there is simply no space to add shimms to get the rotors closer to the sensors. we tried to do that also with the SP motors, but had little to no success. both of the motors (x11 and SP) were brand new and out of the box.

what other ways despite our efforts with the rotor and the allignment of the sensorcalbes and motorcables, could there be to get this da.. thing to run properly?

thx again
cheers

ps: is lrp working on something like mk3 at the moment? or anything to solve the problems?
Old 03-11-2010, 08:44 AM   #431
Tech Apprentice

So, Reto, when Mk3 is finally ready, we have to send our Mk2 to LRP again and get updated to Mk3?
Old 03-11-2010, 08:51 AM   #432
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Great info Paul, thanks. I'll be at the track a lot in the coming weeks preparing for our 3 day race. I'll report back with my findings using DUO and SP motors.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 08:59 AM   #433
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzaah View Post
Hacker, Mikes asking for advice on this new speedy and this is not it mate. Seeing as your too lazy to do any testing here is an on board video of mikes and you can watch it and tell me that he has the wrong gearing at 8 fdr with spx and Duo2.
Every track and driver is different and you are not adding anything constructive to this discussion...

LRP have great products and this speedy is going to be no different. My 2c....
theres nothing wrong with going 1fdr higher as a starting point to what he was usually gearing his spx. You gotta start somewhere!

8fdr at first does sound high for a 10.5 spx!
Most I know are in the 6's and some 7's, but there are the odd exception.
But whatever works for him.

and your post wasn't constructive either
Old 03-11-2010, 09:43 AM   #434
Tech Adept

Default gearing SXX

as for gearing i would suggest the following: when using a x11 or speedp. motor gearing should be in the 5.5 fdr range for a large track. we drove at the ETS in warsaw which had a approx. 40m straight and a fast layout. FDRs were approx. 5.3 to 5.5. programs were 3-4-8-0 with the speedpassion.

if you would gear shorter (meaning in the fdr 7.0 region) the motor will run in a un-efficient window and produce way more gearing than when run with 5.5 fdr.

every motor has an optimal fdr window. as for the 13.5T motors (at least for the x11 and the sp13.5T) this would be arround 5.5 fdr, in my mind. also the motor will run cooler.

i tryed fdr 6 at the ETS race and the motor came off at 100C after 5 min. when geared 5.4 it came off at 70C. both with using a motor fan.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:57 AM   #435
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitomon View Post
as for gearing i would suggest the following: when using a x11 or speedp. motor gearing should be in the 5.5 fdr range for a large track. we drove at the ETS in warsaw which had a approx. 40m straight and a fast layout. FDRs were approx. 5.3 to 5.5. programs were 3-4-8-0 with the speedpassion.

if you would gear shorter (meaning in the fdr 7.0 region) the motor will run in a un-efficient window and produce way more gearing than when run with 5.5 fdr.

every motor has an optimal fdr window. as for the 13.5T motors (at least for the x11 and the sp13.5T) this would be arround 5.5 fdr, in my mind. also the motor will run cooler.

i tryed fdr 6 at the ETS race and the motor came off at 100C after 5 min. when geared 5.4 it came off at 70C. both with using a motor fan.
To light gearing can also cause head in the motor. The last ETS had 2 quit long straights especially for an indoor track.
Tekin Redline 10,5
Protoform LTC-R
mikky32 is offline   Reply With Quote