R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-04-2010, 10:06 AM   #361
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dameetz View Post
Can somebody give the performance differences between SPX ss and SXX ss? I had experience using a friend's SPX ss and wanted to get a stock spec esc for my self, SXX ss is one on my list.
A year more development...

The SPX has only one mode to set. The SXX has 2 modes, one for "feel" and one for "boost" so more options for set up...
The SPX had mode 7 and 8 only with "stock" improving performance. The SXX has mode 3 to 10 for stock...

Old 03-04-2010, 10:54 AM   #362
Tech Regular

Default LRP vs SPX vs SXX vs TEKIN RS

Having owned all three at the same time and ran them all at the snowbirds.

Wouldnt waste your money on the SXX it isnt any better than the SPX in 17.5and 10.5 .
I sold my SXX and selling my SPX as the Tekin blows them both away.
tellan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 11:13 AM   #363
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by tellan View Post

Wouldnt waste your money on the SXX it isnt any better than the SPX in 17.5and 10.5 .
Are you really being serious here? - I've had a straight race with an SXX stock indoors, with me using an SPX and it has about 4 car lengths on it on a relatively short straight and this is both of us using a Novak 10.5ss.

I also think its an idea adding the Mamba Max Pro to the list here, as it's mind-blowingly rapid when set correctly also. So much so, that i'm buying one over the Tekins and LRPs.
maxg123456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 11:28 AM   #364
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:

Was this in 1/12th or touring?

I have a MK I that is absolutely phenomenal in rubber touring with a X-12 17.5.

However, with the MKII in 1/12th I could not get any speed out of it. On the bench it appeared OK, but it would not start ramping up until nearly 70-75ish % throttle. And on the track it would not begin to "boost" until the last few feet of a 90 foot straight.

I put in a trusted Snowbirds set-up (from an a-main finisher IIRC) and still no luck... Boost 10, Duo 1 17.5, middle timing with 1.75 tires and 43/76 and still no dice (along with feel 3-10).

I geared way down (34/76ish), to the point were I would probably need to change the spur to go any further and the boost would come on at about the 55-60 foot point of the straight. Gearing way up made it worse and I tried everything in between. I also tried all the above with an X-12 17.5 with 4 dot timing and still nothing.

I also swapped out sensor wire, battery packs, with a receiver pack and without, voltage cut-off on and off, re-setting the speedo, re-setting the radio, multiple boost and feel combinations, etc.... etc.... Each of the components worked excellently with my Black Diamond....

Honestly I am a bit stumped at this point and I am beginning to wonder if it is a bunk unit, I have gone completely incompetent, or if MKII neutered the speedo to deal with the issues?

The only thing I have yet to try is cranking the timing on the motors. In my past experience this was the only way to make the SPX fast in 1cell. In my opinion, I feel that the LRPs like to reach a certain RPM threshold before it starts dolling out the boost which would explain the 1 cell issue....

But, obviously it worked at the Birds in World GT and 17.5 1/12th...... Although those were MKI....

I loathe doing it, but the dreaded last step I can see is to pull the MKI from my touring car and see if it behaves the same or differently unless any of y'all have some suggestions.

Phew.... That was wordy....

So to simplify...

A) I'm a half blind monkey that should stick with touring (or the black diamond in 1/12th)...

B) It is a bum speedo....

C) MKII is "off"

Thanks,

Mike Slaughter
masterhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 11:37 AM   #365
Tech Master

The SXX driver ad my club complained about the acceleration. He told me acceleration was lower than the SPX and than it looked like there kicks in a Turbo.

As I see the 17,5T film posted earlier it also looked like that the first meters are the same as the SPX and after a few meters the car starts to accelerate.
Tekin Redline 10,5
Protoform LTC-R
mikky32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 11:54 AM   #366
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to chicky03

Quote:
Originally Posted by dameetz View Post
Can somebody give the performance differences between SPX ss and SXX ss? I had experience using a friend's SPX ss and wanted to get a stock spec esc for my self, SXX ss is one on my list.
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain stacker View Post
I would gather 0.5sec per lap.

from my understanding, the sxx is on par or just below the tekin. The spx is about 0.5-1.0 sec slower than the tekin.
Quote:

Let's be realistic about this and actually have some data to back it up.

At Vegas guys were using tekins and SPX both at the time similar speeds for both speed controls, and mod were and still are using the same thing. For the Vegas race the fastest lap turned in 13.5 rubber was a 10.68 and in mod 10.25. exactly .43 faster in mod for fast lap. The over all times between TQ, mod and 13.5 were 9 seconds apart.

Then we moved to the snowbirds where the new generation speedos for 13.5 were used and the mod guys still were using similar speedos and motors. For 13.5 the fastest lap was a 11.4 and mod 11.2. The over all TQ times were 7 seconds apart. Fastest lap was set in 13.5 buy a tekin for qualifying and in the main the fastest lap was a LRPSS. Also at the snowbirds in 17.5 12th a LRPSS had the fastest laps all weekend.

To me it looks like the 13.5 guys gained about .2 for hot lap and only 2 seconds on a 5 minute run. To say the new speedos are .5 or 1 second per lap faster are a greatly out of order.

At the Snowbirds both speedos were competitive and most of it comes down to making sure you have the right settings on the speedo and gearing. If you ran 3 different speedos at the snowbirds I can gaurantee you did not have time optimize anyone of them except that maybe you got a setup from someone fast running a tekin and of course since it was optimized by them, it was the fastest for you. The stock spec for sure is better than the SPX as you can see by the data above from 2 different races.

Paul

Last edited by chicky03; 03-04-2010 at 12:07 PM.
chicky03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 11:55 AM   #367
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikky32 View Post
The SXX driver ad my club complained about the acceleration. He told me acceleration was lower than the SPX and than it looked like there kicks in a Turbo.

As I see the 17,5T film posted earlier it also looked like that the first meters are the same as the SPX and after a few meters the car starts to accelerate.
In 1 cell or 2 cell, and MKI or MKII?

My 2 cell 17.5 touring is pure rip from the get go.... My Black Diamond is pure rip in 1 cell 17.5....

Thanks,

Mike Slaughter
Old 03-04-2010, 11:58 AM   #368
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterhit View Post
Was this in 1/12th or touring?

I have a MK I that is absolutely phenomenal in rubber touring with a X-12 17.5.

However, with the MKII in 1/12th I could not get any speed out of it. On the bench it appeared OK, but it would not start ramping up until nearly 70-75ish % throttle. And on the track it would not begin to "boost" until the last few feet of a 90 foot straight.

I put in a trusted Snowbirds set-up (from an a-main finisher IIRC) and still no luck... Boost 10, Duo 1 17.5, middle timing with 1.75 tires and 43/76 and still no dice (along with feel 3-10).

I geared way down (34/76ish), to the point were I would probably need to change the spur to go any further and the boost would come on at about the 55-60 foot point of the straight. Gearing way up made it worse and I tried everything in between. I also tried all the above with an X-12 17.5 with 4 dot timing and still nothing.

I also swapped out sensor wire, battery packs, with a receiver pack and without, voltage cut-off on and off, re-setting the speedo, re-setting the radio, multiple boost and feel combinations, etc.... etc.... Each of the components worked excellently with my Black Diamond....

Honestly I am a bit stumped at this point and I am beginning to wonder if it is a bunk unit, I have gone completely incompetent, or if MKII neutered the speedo to deal with the issues?

The only thing I have yet to try is cranking the timing on the motors. In my past experience this was the only way to make the SPX fast in 1cell. In my opinion, I feel that the LRPs like to reach a certain RPM threshold before it starts dolling out the boost which would explain the 1 cell issue....

But, obviously it worked at the Birds in World GT and 17.5 1/12th...... Although those were MKI....

I loathe doing it, but the dreaded last step I can see is to pull the MKI from my touring car and see if it behaves the same or differently unless any of y'all have some suggestions.

Phew.... That was wordy....

So to simplify...

A) I'm a half blind monkey that should stick with touring (or the black diamond in 1/12th)...

B) It is a bum speedo....

C) MKII is "off"

Thanks,

Mike Slaughter
Hey Mike,

Maybe try a lower boost setting, I know Joe ran 10 but maybe it does not work for your motor.

Paul
Old 03-04-2010, 12:05 PM   #369
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicky03 View Post
Hey Mike,

Maybe try a lower boost setting, I know Joe ran 10 but maybe it does not work for your motor.

Paul
When I was first testing the speedo in 10.5 12th, we started with profile 8 and the gear we decided on was 28-88 then we decided the motor did not have the torque we needed so we kept going down on the profile and gearing up and it got better. We ended up on profile 6 with a 34-88. I'd keep your gearing and just try lower profiles and see what happens. If you start to go faster then you are on the right track. I can also help you out a little this weekend if you want.

Paul
Old 03-04-2010, 12:10 PM   #370
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicky03 View Post
I can also help you out a little this weekend if you want.

Paul
Sir, you just bought yourself a big-o'-bag of regret with that statement!

I did start at boost 5 and worked my way up to 10.

But seriously, I appreciate the help I have already gotten from you (any texts, or calls from Terry involving the words "LRP", "X-12", "slow", and "some jerk" are referring to me...).

And honestly, I want the answer to be something I'm doing wrong....

Thanks,

Mike Slaughter
Old 03-04-2010, 12:23 PM   #371
Tech Master

Quote:
Sir, you just bought yourself a big-o'-bag of regret with that statement!

I did start at boost 5 and worked my way up to 10.

But seriously, I appreciate the help I have already gotten from you (any texts, or calls from Terry involving the words "LRP", "X-12", "slow", and "some jerk" are referring to me...).

And honestly, I want the answer to be something I'm doing wrong....

Thanks,

Mike Slaughter
Ha Ha dont worry.

Just to show you the difference between the BD and LRPSS, the guys with duos and BD run 38/75 for 10.5 and we run 34/88 with the SS and X12 motor. I would have never thought the gearing difference but it is quite a bit.

I think if you were getting better with the 34/76 and not the other way we may just need to go further. Put on an 88 spur and go from there! We might end up with a way lower roll out that you thought possible.
Old 03-04-2010, 12:24 PM   #372
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

FM Control had noise !
RC MARKET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 12:36 PM   #373
Tech Master

Quote:
In 1 cell or 2 cell, and MKI or MKII?

My 2 cell 17.5 touring is pure rip from the get go.... My Black Diamond is pure rip in 1 cell 17.5....

Thanks,

Mike Slaughter
MKI and 2 cell lipo.
In a TC with a 10,5T LRP X11 motor.

He had also problem with driving away. The speedo makes than a noise if it can't find his sensor.
As it drives, that is gone. His acceleration is what he tels me slower than his SPX. He complains that the speed kicks in just before a corner in the infield and he misses infield rip.
Tekin Redline 10,5
Protoform LTC-R
Old 03-04-2010, 12:40 PM   #374
Tech Addict

I have had the chance to run the tekin vs. the stock spec on a fixed track over the course of several weeks. Between the two Speedos I can tell you this.

1. the stock spec is just as fast as the tekin, if not faster for one reason, it's easier to drive. Let's take a real look at our talent. With the tekin there are hundreds of combinations to set up timing and turbo ramps, and when these things activate. The Stock Spec "feels" like a old brushed motor Speedo, it's smooth and you can roll the throttle on and off more naturally. I found it way easier to drive, and could be way more consistent with it. When I ran the tekin, I was a tenth under my original hot lap, and had a harder time being consistent. I tried all kinds of settings 5-10,000:8-12,000: 9-18,000 and so on, ran the same motor and lipos, as well as same chassis and tires. The tekin, with all the adjustment in the world was always the same. I will say this, with the changes (Rpm settings, and turbo ramps) I did have to adjust my driving style each time. I had to adjust my lift points on the track as well as how much "off" the trigger I was to get the car to roll. With the stock spec this is just not an issue. In fact I ran the same gearing with the tekin, and stock spec, started the LRP at a low setting and with the help from Paul, (chicky03) every run went up in profile and temped the motor to be safe. With the tekin the motor came off at about 170 degrees, and when we finished adjusting the stock spec we were about the same.

The layout we have had down at the gate has been one of the most challenging ones to date, but I think it helped show a few things, Pure rip is only useful if you can control it and use it on the track. I have found that setting some of the "faster" drivers run might not work for everyone.

"I'm running the hottest setup from so and so, my car is wicked fast but the lap times are not showing it?"

Hum I wonder where the problem is?

could it be the increased speed is making you drive crapy lines? Why do you think that 17.5 is so close to 13.5?

Slower speeds= tighter lines and more consistency. When the car is controllable you can push it hard, most people are just tiring to "hold on" to there cars.

Bottom line it's up to you, from my stand point I have run 2 Speedos that can get it done right now. I ran the tekin at the 4th leg of the Northeast Grand slam race, and Tq'd Stock rubber.( I ran 3 tekins to be exact and smoked 2 of them, for reasons unknown)

I am going to run the stock spec this weekend at the Roar region 5 regional at the Gate, here in Cleveland. After last weeks practice with the Stock Spec, things are looking good!

Seaball you are in for a whipping....
"I vowed to never let this happen.."
chubbspeterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 12:47 PM   #375
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbspeterson View Post
I have had the chance to run the tekin vs. the stock spec on a fixed track over the course of several weeks. Between the two Speedos I can tell you this.

1. the stock spec is just as fast as the tekin, if not faster for one reason, it's easier to drive. Let's take a real look at our talent. With the tekin there are hundreds of combinations to set up timing and turbo ramps, and when these things activate. The Stock Spec "feels" like a old brushed motor Speedo, it's smooth and you can roll the throttle on and off more naturally. I found it way easier to drive, and could be way more consistent with it. When I ran the tekin, I was a tenth under my original hot lap, and had a harder time being consistent. I tried all kinds of settings 5-10,000:8-12,000: 9-18,000 and so on, ran the same motor and lipos, as well as same chassis and tires. The tekin, with all the adjustment in the world was always the same. I will say this, with the changes (Rpm settings, and turbo ramps) I did have to adjust my driving style each time. I had to adjust my lift points on the track as well as how much "off" the trigger I was to get the car to roll. With the stock spec this is just not an issue. In fact I ran the same gearing with the tekin, and stock spec, started the LRP at a low setting and with the help from Paul, (chicky03) every run went up in profile and temped the motor to be safe. With the tekin the motor came off at about 170 degrees, and when we finished adjusting the stock spec we were about the same.

The layout we have had down at the gate has been one of the most challenging ones to date, but I think it helped show a few things, Pure rip is only useful if you can control it and use it on the track. I have found that setting some of the "faster" drivers run might not work for everyone.

"I'm running the hottest setup from so and so, my car is wicked fast but the lap times are not showing it?"

Hum I wonder where the problem is?

could it be the increased speed is making you drive crapy lines? Why do you think that 17.5 is so close to 13.5?

Slower speeds= tighter lines and more consistency. When the car is controllable you can push it hard, most people are just tiring to "hold on" to there cars.

Bottom line it's up to you, from my stand point I have run 2 Speedos that can get it done right now. I ran the tekin at the 4th leg of the Northeast Grand slam race, and Tq'd Stock rubber.( I ran 3 tekins to be exact and smoked 2 of them, for reasons unknown)

I am going to run the stock spec this weekend at the Roar region 5 regional at the Gate, here in Cleveland. After last weeks practice with the Stock Spec, things are looking good!

Seaball you are in for a whipping....
Tell it to the SXX driver ad my club. He drove with my Tekin and was faster than he was with his SXX.
It is all in the setup. As you now how to set it up right you can race on almost all the tracks with one setup with the Tekin.

I agree that the SXX is easier to setup but I have my Tekin from when it came out and I now how it works.

You can get a smooth acceleration with the Tekin but it depends on the setup.
I love the more aggressive setup.

My club member thinks of getting the Tekin and selling his SXX. He found the infield rip much better.
Now has he only got problems with his LRP speedo's.
He had every month a new SPX because it became slower.
I have my Tekin when he had a LRP TC.
I still have that same speedo and he is now with his 11th or 12th LRP speedo.
1 LRP TC 1 LRP SXX and 9 or 10 SPX speedo's used when it came out.
He is not happy with it so it's a meter of time that he will switch.
An other club member changed to GM and sold his SXX tc.
He had problems with it and they didn't want to repair it for him because there was dirt in the speedo. They told him that he drove outdoor with it in the dirt wile he never has driven outdoor with that speedo.
After this happened he changed to GM and more are changing.
Belgium was for 90% LRP but now GM and Tekin are growing there and LRP is losing ground.
Ad my other club there are now 2 LRP drivers and they change also to Tekin.
They can't keep up with the GM and Tekin drivers.
So it's all in the setup.
Try the Tekin again and try a better setup. You see that you lose in the infield with the SXX and on top speed.
Tekin Redline 10,5
Protoform LTC-R

Last edited by mikky32; 03-04-2010 at 12:58 PM.