R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-06-2010, 07:51 AM   #181
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Quote:
As a side note, I notice if I do a "white trash tire wipe" (I.e. hold the car on the carpet and pull the trigger) it will stop after a few seconds almost as if there are some "don't be stupid" fail-safes built in.... I wonder if some of the bench free-wheeling is triggering these as well? Or perhaps I have just discovered another defect?
I was told buy one of the guys that went to the Snowbird race that there is a rev limiter built in to avoid bench testing or revving with no load. This practice is not good for the motor or esc, so they have tried to eliminate the need for you to send the esc back in for repair. Free-wheeling doesn't really tell you anything anyway. I believe that there is something in the instructions covering this, but we all know that racers don't need no stink'n instructions.
SteveL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 08:05 AM   #182
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

so is the speedo goin have sofewear updates like the Tekins?
I hear the frist batch did not have it..
Old 02-06-2010, 09:32 AM   #183
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicko View Post
kinda wondering about this too, I am either going to buy a tekin or this. I need something with the turbo and the boost or feel.
C_Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 10:06 AM   #184
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Quote:
I don't know if it would be a wise move to make the software update-able in the second batch, when it was never required to in the first place. You're just asking for more trouble and problems in the market place which is a bad thing. LRP would have to start over and revisit their requirements, possibly have to re-develop the software and test all if not most scenarios before releasing to the market. Plus, you throw another interface (e.g. hotwire) in place to do the software update which will need to be tested on all the different Windows\Mac\Unix platforms. And to do all that in a week or two would be scary unless they have 24hr shifts going.
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 10:48 AM   #185
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
I don't know if it would be a wise move to make the software update-able in the second batch, when it was never required to in the first place. You're just asking for more trouble and problems in the market place which is a bad thing. LRP would have to start over and revisit their requirements, possibly have to re-develop the software and test all if not most scenarios before releasing to the market. Plus, you throw another interface (e.g. hotwire) in place to do the software update which will need to be tested on all the different Windows\Mac\Unix platforms. And to do all that in a week or two would be scary unless they have 24hr shifts going.
Why do you say the fisrt one doesnt need it? Just curious. I would think it would be better with it being able to be updated.. Just me though. I like the thought of not having to buy a new ESC every year.
Old 02-06-2010, 11:05 AM   #186
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Money View Post
Why do you say the fisrt one doesnt need it? Just curious. I would think it would be better with it being able to be updated.. Just me though. I like the thought of not having to buy a new ESC every year.
I think you've read what I wrote incorrectly. I'm not saying update-ability is bad, it's good. The thing is the SXX Stock Spec from the beginning was never supposed to be software update-able to the public. I'm sure LRP does their initial software installs similar to the way the hotwire does. It's just that LRP's business model is to sell the speed control as is with no update-ability. For LRP to all of sudden say they are going to make the software update-able to the public without revisiting the whole development process is like shooting yourself in the foot. And to do all that in a week or two is just too short of a turnaround and rushing the product to market.
Old 02-06-2010, 11:37 AM   #187
Tech Master

I understand completely, it would be a massive fail more than likely.
Old 02-06-2010, 12:18 PM   #188
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

well here the issue with LRP then, when the Tekin came out we had the
LRP TC.. then spx now sxx stock spec... so we had to buy 3 different LRP speedo to keep up with the Tekin guy who just had to buy 1
so with out being able to update the sofewear, Its great for LRPs bottom line
but sucks for us who has to keep paying for them. if they made the sxx so we can update the sofewear then we would only have to buy it once
Old 02-06-2010, 12:51 PM   #189
Tech Elite

Quote:
LRP TC.. then spx now sxx stock spec... so we had to buy 3 different LRP speedo to keep up with the Tekin guy who just had to buy 1
but sucks for us who has to keep paying for them. if they made the sxx so we can update the sofewear then we would only have to buy it once
The way it looks to me all esc mfr's are going to offer software updates for their esc's eventually. It's just a matter of time and the age we live in. It seems LRP has brought it's quality up to the latest standard of the Advanced Electronics\Tekins\Castles\etc with the SXX Stock Spec. Who knows, maybe the SXX SS is update-able and LRP is working on a module to make it update-able as we write.
Old 02-06-2010, 02:57 PM   #190
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

Who knows, but I can't wait to actually try the new batch once they come in!

I have always loved the "feel" of LRP speedos... now with the SS, we also get turbo boost. Excellent!
Chris Furman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 03:28 PM   #191
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Quote:
Don't forget it's taken tekin a year of software updates to get ahead of the spx. That said, I think it's a massive oversight to not include software updates when everyone else is doing it, which is why the SP GT2.1 is looking good to me
Old 02-06-2010, 03:34 PM   #192
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i wanted to upgrade as i was being left behind at my local track

i used to use the SPX and it was a good speedo

but the lack of updates and no user setting's via USB i decided on the Tekin

cheep / reliable and easy to use

i do miss the blue though
sidecarphil1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 10:06 PM   #193
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

just want to give this one a shot.. because lugging a laptop to the track will eventually get old (even if its a netbook).

anyone know if the brakes on the SXX-SS is as strong as the SPX? the SPX had the "OMG I NEED TO STOP NOW" brakes on it. always good in case of an emergency (i.e. crap i blew my line and that wall is coming fast.)
Hebiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 10:08 PM   #194
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to EAMotorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebiki View Post
just want to give this one a shot.. because lugging a laptop to the track will eventually get old (even if its a netbook).

anyone know if the brakes on the SXX-SS is as strong as the SPX? the SPX had the "OMG I NEED TO STOP NOW" brakes on it. always good in case of an emergency (i.e. crap i blew my line and that wall is coming fast.)
I felt teh brakes were even stronger on this thing than the SPX!!

EA
EAMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 12:25 PM   #195
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Guys,

Latest news from Thailand (RC Addict Track) Ride Cup 2010

1. JILLES GROSKAMP
Tamiya 416x / LRP SXX Stock Spec / Orion 5400 45C

2. ATSUSHI HARA
HB TC / LRP SXX Stock Spec / Orion 5400 45C

3. SURIKARN C.
XRAY T3 / NOSRAM Stock / SMC 5400 50C

Source: http://www.rcblood.com/b2/?p=1066

How I wish I could get hold the SXX-SS for TITC!!!

jonest is offline   Reply With Quote