Motor questions

Old 03-15-2004, 09:53 AM
Tech Adept

Default Motor questions

I have the binary2 stock motor, which has the capacitors already on it and was wondering if I need to add a schottky diode still? Also, what about the Novak schottky diode motor module? Is that something worth getting?
Old 03-15-2004, 09:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Yes definetly add either the schottky diode or the Novak schottky diode. Either one will make a big difference. Just be sure to install it directly on the motor, not in line or attached to the speed control.

Later,
Old 03-15-2004, 09:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Re: Motor questions

Originally posted by Beeb
I have the binary2 stock motor, which has the capacitors already on it and was wondering if I need to add a schottky diode still? Also, what about the Novak schottky diode motor module? Is that something worth getting?
just get the novak motor module it attaches to the motor and is designed for the new hott motors like the binary's that takes the place of the diod on the motor .. it is worth it..
Old 03-15-2004, 10:38 AM
Tech Elite

Just be sure to install it directly on the motor, not in line or attached to the speed control.
uh, why not? Since electricity travels at roughly 10% the speed of light(186,000 miles per SECOND) through conductive material, the time it takes to travel the couple of inches is in better words 0 as in instant. Also, the resistance of the wire in this speedo/motor circuit is negligable. therefore, there is no real difference is you attach the diode at the motor or had 4 inches of wire between the motor and diode. It does the same thing.
Old 03-15-2004, 10:41 AM
Tech Fanatic

get the shotockly(sp) diode, done deal. I also run a B2, and the change in temp, and overall smoothness is amazing.
Old 03-15-2004, 10:47 AM
Tech Adept

I have the schottky diode from my LRP ESC, but I was just wondering since I've been out of RC for awhile and motors didn't come with those pc boards attached to them back then. I wasn't sure if they minaturized the s.diode and started putting them on the motors or if it was just the capacitors.

I remember having to put 2 caps and 1 diode on, and when I saw the motor with 3 caps on it I wasn't too sure.
Old 03-15-2004, 02:00 PM
Tech Fanatic

that little board is just the capacitors, you still should put the diode on.
Old 03-15-2004, 02:34 PM
Tech Elite

Yeah, and make sure you gear down a couple teeth on your binary. The way they work, you need to, and the perforamance will still be a bout the same.
Old 03-15-2004, 02:53 PM
Tech Addict

Is the shotckey diode needed for Keyence V Zero Extreme 4 cell oval high-bank track for B2 ?
Old 03-15-2004, 04:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally posted by PitCrew
uh, why not? Since electricity travels at roughly 10% the speed of light(186,000 miles per SECOND) through conductive material, the time it takes to travel the couple of inches is in better words 0 as in instant. Also, the resistance of the wire in this speedo/motor circuit is negligable. therefore, there is no real difference is you attach the diode at the motor or had 4 inches of wire between the motor and diode. It does the same thing.
Just repeating info I was given by Chuck from Novak, thats all. i figure if he says this is the way to do it then it must be.

Later,
Old 03-15-2004, 07:05 PM
Tech Adept

i got a new gt7 and its got a little box thing that im told is a very powerful diode so there is no need to install another so if you got one of those new gt7's with the box in the wire dont worry about installing a diode!
Old 03-15-2004, 08:10 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally posted by jeepnyy
Is the shotckey diode needed for Keyence V Zero Extreme 4 cell oval high-bank track for B2 ?
Do NOT run a diode. The keyence is weird. One of the local team guys blew a couple up running them, dunno why. Keyence actually states not to use one too, so go by the manufactures instructions.

-Sushi Boy
Old 03-16-2004, 12:08 PM
Tech Elite

To heck with Chuck @ novak. he is telling you that so you will buy their WAY WAY overpriced shotcky diode (that you could get for $.50 from RS) and put on one EVERY motor you own. Marketing.
Old 03-16-2004, 02:04 PM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by PitCrew
To heck with Chuck @ novak. he is telling you that so you will buy their WAY WAY overpriced shotcky diode (that you could get for $.50 from RS) and put on one EVERY motor you own. Marketing.
That sounds about right.
Old 03-16-2004, 06:39 PM
Tech Master

We're all consumers that buy over priced items, don't worry. Stores have to make atleast 20 - 30% of what they sell it for.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.