R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   TC3 48 pitch gearing questions for stock and 19T motors (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/35796-tc3-48-pitch-gearing-questions-stock-19t-motors.html)

Cain 03-15-2004 07:28 AM

TC3 48 pitch gearing questions for stock and 19T motors

Hi all,

I am getting back into the touring scene but I don't want to currently switch to 64 pitch gears as I may be moving to a track that will run a rally class or go back to offroad racing. I figure this would be fun to pass the time.

So basically I am sticking with 48 pitch gears. What are some good gearing recommendations for a TC3 using either a Narrow brush MVP motor and a Reedy Quad Mag motor?

Seems the manual says use a 28 pitch gear for a stock motor. I guess to me this seems really high. Any ideas? Also, from what I have seen so far you have to gear up the Quad mag. So I am worried that I may have to run a 30 tooth pinion to get the gearing right.

mb racer 03-15-2004 09:39 AM

Re: TC3 48 pitch gearing questions for stock and 19T motors

Originally posted by Cain
Hi all,

I am getting back into the touring scene but I don't want to currently switch to 64 pitch gears as I may be moving to a track that will run a rally class or go back to offroad racing. I figure this would be fun to pass the time.

So basically I am sticking with 48 pitch gears. What are some good gearing recommendations for a TC3 using either a Narrow brush MVP motor and a Reedy Quad Mag motor?

Seems the manual says use a 28 pitch gear for a stock motor. I guess to me this seems really high. Any ideas? Also, from what I have seen so far you have to gear up the Quad mag. So I am worried that I may have to run a 30 tooth pinion to get the gearing right.

REEDY quad mag; use any where from 28 to 30 depending on the track layout ..i geared a C2 at 29/72 and was very fast . F/D at 6.21 .... i also gear quads the same ..

Cain 03-15-2004 10:23 AM

wow, anyone know where I can get pinions that big? I am considering going 64P if this is going to be an issue.

Thanks.

PitCrew 03-15-2004 10:31 AM

64 pitch gears have a larger pitch diameter than 48 pitch gears. In other words, to get the same gear ration the motor is going to be more towards the outside. (basically larger gears.)

And no, 30-32 for a stock motor on a large track is just right. 28-30 for a 19 turn is good. 26-29 for mods. with 72 tooth spur. I run a 75 tooth spur to move the motor more outside to counter balance the weight of the batterie, and for a more efficient drivetrain.

Cain 03-15-2004 12:05 PM

Thanks for the info. I will see what my LHS has in stock. I think since I will be primarily running 19 turn and stock motors, I will get a 28 - 30 pinion set to start with.

Thanks!