R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-05-2010, 08:59 PM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 100 (100%+)
Default Lipo Battery Capacity & Race Length

With all the chatter about limiting ESC development or going to a slower motor wouldn't reducing the mAh limit and increasing the race length effectively level the playing field in the 'stock' classes? You can add all the timing you want and gear to the moon but you might only make the first 3/4 of a race before you dump. Folks racing in 'stock' need more time driving anyways and lower mAH batteries should also reduce the cost of competing. Thoughts?
Old 01-05-2010, 10:40 PM   #2
Tech Fanatic

Limiting lipo capacity to maximum 5000mah and increasing runtime anywhere up to 6-8 minutes...

Increasing runtime only works best at events or competition that has fewer participation... those larger events that have up to 60 and above participants might have problems accommodating too many heats and finals....
Tpg racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 10:48 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

with nimh, sure run them down.

testing limits of a lipo at a local track... that might be a spectacle - not sure how many groups want lipo fires

http://www.facebook.com/VancouverRRR 🏁 http://www.facebook.com/OvergearedRacing
R3VoLuTiOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 10:58 PM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to Pablo Diablo

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimbikerun View Post
With all the chatter about limiting ESC development or going to a slower motor wouldn't reducing the mAh limit and increasing the race length effectively level the playing field in the 'stock' classes? You can add all the timing you want and gear to the moon but you might only make the first 3/4 of a race before you dump. Folks racing in 'stock' need more time driving anyways and lower mAH batteries should also reduce the cost of competing. Thoughts?
ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!

Then we go back to battery wars. Only the team drivers will get the lipos with a bit more run time and only they will be able to have good speed. Why can't everyone realize that there has never been a more fair time in the sport?

Losi Type R | Xray T3 | CRC Gen XL | CRC Gen X 10 ME(Messiah Edition) | Black Diamond

www.FlyingFoxRC.com | Advanced Electronics | Team CRC | Factory Messiah
Pablo Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 11:29 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

another thing is esc profile & settings not forgetting gearing. it does make an impact. usually they keep quiet bout it.
Toh WL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 02:00 AM   #6
Tech Champion

Modified : hopefully change to 6 minutes
Stock 23T : hopefully change to 9 minutes or 10 minutes

It will be like real car racing situation >>> tires overheating

edit : Big event racing ..... perhaps must go back to 5 minutes.

Last edited by asw7576; 01-06-2010 at 02:23 AM.
asw7576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 09:58 AM   #7
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toh WL View Post
another thing is esc profile & settings not forgetting gearing. it does make an impact. usually they keep quiet bout it.

The easiest is to set guidelines for motors to make the playing field even, leave everything else other than max. battery voltage unregulated. It dosn't necessary means slower motors. Sometimes too much regulation gets in the way of progress and fairness we all call for.

I think reasons why people talk about ESC and battery all the time in similar threads is because they think they are the easiest to understand and talk about. Right or wrong.

Nobody cares. Most folks get the latest ESC, lipo and motor because they like to get the best and also gives them an advantage.

Making it fair would require drastic changes to the rules and that is not going to happen any time soon as long as people can afford the best or until the current sanctioning body start some thinking.

As much as I like these discussions, I think they get nowhere. We "all" want it big; big cars and trucks, houses, meals, and if you want """less""" may be you need to start your own sanctioning body.
ozvena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 10:33 AM   #8
Tech Elite

Quote:
Bring battery capacity back into the equation would solve the problem. But you could end up with battery wars that have occurred in the past. Besides, most drivers do not want to have to think about driving in a way that conserves energy. It is a very difficult aspect of driving and car setup. Many will quit racing rather than adapt.
Rick Hohwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 10:47 AM   #9
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by asw7576 View Post
Modified : hopefully change to 6 minutes
Stock 23T : hopefully change to 9 minutes or 10 minutes

It will be like real car racing situation >>> tires overheating

edit : Big event racing ..... perhaps must go back to 5 minutes.
All electric classes under ROAR rules except for 1/12th are now 6 min. Hasn't made a bit of difference for modified racing.
schurcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 10:52 AM   #10
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Without ann industry standard of measurment and someone verifying it a mah cap doesn't work. What's to stop battery mfr A from taking their 30c 6000 mah battery and relabeling as a 40c 5000 mah battery? I can tell you that the mfrs don't want this kind of standardization.
schurcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 11:15 AM   #11
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by schurcr View Post
All electric classes under ROAR rules except for 1/12th are now 6 min. Hasn't made a bit of difference for modified racing.
pardon me... I don't live in usa .... that's why.

I will ask my friends in my country to vote for 6 minutes modified race.
asw7576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 11:33 AM   #12
Tech Regular

Can somebody tell me why this is an issue? Why can't you all buy $400 ESC, $200 motor, $200 battery and $500 car and be done with it? Why even regulate anything?

Seriously, if you are on a limited budget, then you need to race the class which you can afford. The right question is which class is it? The answer is; there is no such class unfortunately. I think such class would, citing one of the sanctioning body, "promote the sport of radio controlled model car racing".

Last edited by ozvena; 01-06-2010 at 12:04 PM.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:42 AM   #13
Tech Regular

Quote:
Without ann industry standard of measurment and someone verifying it a mah cap doesn't work. What's to stop battery mfr A from taking their 30c 6000 mah battery and relabeling as a 40c 5000 mah battery? I can tell you that the mfrs don't want this kind of standardization.
I think you did not provide the right reasons, but I agree with you that it makes no sense to limit capacity of batteries.

Surely ROAR is the body that can make any rules, ROAR dosn't need to wait for manufacturers to come up with standards. They will never do it, why would they even care? In addition, I thought the manufacturers pay for the submissions to ROAR and ROAR does do some tests. So again, your argument about testing dosn't seem valid to me, please correct me if I am wrong. Yes, ROAR can't prevent them from relabeling as they can't prevent them from relabeling motors. Again, your argument dosn't hold.
Old 01-06-2010, 12:05 PM   #14
Tech Elite

Quote:
A mAh limit won't work. But you can reduce the limit to a specific range by reducing the size of the case.
Rick Hohwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 12:08 PM   #15
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
The RCGT Showdown Series (www.rcgtshowdown.com) races for 7 mins with a 5200mah limit on batteries.
www.facebook.com/HebikiDesignWorks
Hebiki is offline   Reply With Quote