R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-06-2010, 01:13 PM   #16
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by phisher View Post
http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=58331

Great car, great price and still has tons of hop up parts available.
+1 on this. Great price to boot.
My next choice would be TB-03. The IFS suspension allows you to run the bad a$$ bodies.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:21 AM   #17
Tech Elite

[QUOTE=djmike;6814566]
Quote:
Originally Posted by niznai View Post
It's a bit nonsensical to ask what to buy for bashing. You can bash anything, you don't need advice.

I have to totally disagree with you. If I didnt need the advice I wouldnt have come here and asked in a forum, where there are all walks of hobby lovers from newbie to pros. I already got some good advice as belt driven to shaft driven. I was looking to buy a car along the lines of a TC5 but would have encountered problems later with possibilities of debris breaking belts. It may have sounded like a noob question but it was an honest one. I know NOTHING about road/touring cars and thats why I asked for the advice. I am not looking for a Walmart car or I would have bashed with something along those lines. I am looking for something of higher quality that can also be upgraded. There are so many manufacturers out there so how do you choose for the right one?
You missed my point entirely.

700$ is serious money. Not quite enough for a top end racer but way more money that anyone in their right mind would put in a basher. Bashing by its very nature is taxing on cars and soon you'll realise you're just putting money down the drain for a bit of fun. The normal step up will be to go racing and then you'll regret all the dosh dished out when you'll realise you won't recover at all by selling your car. But hey, I'm not trying to stop you doing what you feel you like. By all means, knock yourself out.

The best upgrade to any car is some driver skill.
niznai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:17 AM   #18
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

[QUOTE=niznai;6819414]
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmike View Post

You missed my point entirely.

700$ is serious money. Not quite enough for a top end racer but way more money that anyone in their right mind would put in a basher. Bashing by its very nature is taxing on cars and soon you'll realise you're just putting money down the drain for a bit of fun. The normal step up will be to go racing and then you'll regret all the dosh dished out when you'll realise you won't recover at all by selling your car. But hey, I'm not trying to stop you doing what you feel you like. By all means, knock yourself out.
Thank you. Thats the point I was trying to make. You would do just as well to get plastic tub shaft drive TC and put a mamba max in it to go impress the spectators at WalMart. Theres no need to do that to a T3. Plus a car on that level would not be worth anything once you had abused the CF Plate and scraped it around on the asphalt.

Do what you want but I wouldnt.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:28 AM   #19
Tech Elite

I think our friend doesn't realise that 700$ will buy him the top of the tops in TC cars at the moment (not enough to get it race ready, that's true, but a really brilliant top rolling chassis). Later when he'll realise he has blown this kind of money on a basher will probably kick himself, but hey, it's not my money!

The best upgrade to any car is some driver skill.
niznai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:55 AM   #20
Tech Master

That's the point I wanted to make. If you are serious about the money you will be investing, you shouldn't be satisfied with mediocre equipment. I've been through the basher path a long time ago, and I actually wasted lots of money. I wish I bought myself a better car back then. The first real racer I bought was a TA05. It was a competitive car, but you just can't stop spending money on it(damn you Tamiya). Before long, I spent more than what I could have gotten a 415MSX on that car. I still love my mid level cars, but if you are even thinking about getting serious, get one of the top level cars. That's just my 2 cents.

Well, the TB03 is no better in terms of spending, so I haven't learned my lesson yet
redbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 11:28 AM   #21
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to iPearl Send a message via MSN to iPearl

so whats considered an all mighty godly high end car ?

A cheap E4RS does as well as a Known jrx-s Type R.
A old TC4 can easily keep up with a TC5.

Its all on the driver and knowing the car and feel comfortable with it.
Old 01-07-2010, 02:51 PM   #22
Tech Addict

$700 budget: Tamiya Evo 5. Just get a chassis protector for the underneath of the car. You will still have money left for motor/esc.
http://www.ampdraw.com/product/12136...ution-V-MS-Kit

Shaft drive(with fully enclosed gears) & Tub chassis are whats best for car park racing. Doesnt leave alot of options for a 'high end' car.
The biggest problem will be grit/stones ruining spur/pinion if they arnt enclosed
You may even find some belt drive cars that are reasonably immune to rocks & stones (Cyclone S)

TC4: still available new

or mini M03, M05. This is the most fun of any car I'd had. Lots of upgrades available, most arnt needed.
1101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 03:12 PM   #23
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

$700 is actually quite enough money to get you started if you're willing to start with a roller...

You'll be able to find some of the $400+ cars sell as a roller around $150 to $200 range... You can then, buy a MX-3FG 2.4GHz radio set for about $100-ish, a Hobbywing + 13.5 speedy and motor combo for $100, then the rest of the $300 for batteries and charger from Hobbycity...

As for parts, you'll always will need to have parts... Not breaking and/or not wearing the parts out is impossible... i.e. Tires, diff, belts, etc...

$700 is a lot...
Old 01-07-2010, 09:39 PM   #24
Regional Moderator

http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...sell-fast.html

Can't beat an Xray '008 EU for $200.
CarbonJoe is offline   Reply With Quote