Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Team Integy Auto-Super Lathe?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2004, 07:30 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Team Integy Auto-Super Lathe?

Has anyone tried this lathe with the automaic feed? Is it worth the money? What are it's perks and downsides compared to the Xipp X-mod 2 and the Hudy lathe? Please give some help.
Thanks
Old 03-13-2004, 08:20 PM
Tech Master

dimples,
I will tell you that I have not used this lathe, but I do own the Hudy Tech Lathe, and did own the Xipp Mod lathe. I really like the Xipp lathe, it always cut very well. I came across a good deal on a brand new Hudy Lathe and Hudy bit, so I bought that and sold my old Xipp lathe. The Hudy cuts very well, although it is very expensive. The thing that I will say about the auto-lathe is that, not talking about you (but just in general), are too lazy to turn a wheel for 25 seconds, then maybe you should go race brushless, or just not race . On top of that, I always wantfull control over the 80 dollar bit that is in my lathe, I dont want a super fragile piece of diamond and metal to be at mercy of an automatic Wheel-Turner.
Old 03-13-2004, 08:59 PM
P2
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

MisFitz is right....get a manual lathe cause you don't want to ruin a new $80 bit. All lathes are good, what really determines the quality of the "cut" is how well the bit is set up.
Old 03-14-2004, 02:58 AM
Tech Apprentice

I was wondering how well the auto lathe worked and if it was comparable to the Xipp and Hudy or better or worse. I will most likely buy the Xipp due to price and it looks solid. My old cobra is about to find its way out the door.
Old 03-14-2004, 08:45 AM
Tech Master

well,
yes, the xipp lathe is very solid and it cuts very well. You can figure that the auto lathe is going to cut just as good (same bit set-up) as the non-auto lathe. It won't cut any better just because it is auto, it will only take the place of your hand turning the little wheel.
Old 03-14-2004, 09:20 AM
Tech Elite

I am still new to EP. I got myself a HUDY comm lathe. Hudy Advance Comm lathe. Tried,tested and proven. One of the best cos i compared it to other lathes other guys are using at the track. As for auto or manual, i would get a manual one over the AUTO. Cutting bit aint cheap. Might as well use the money on other RC parts.
Just my 0.02
Old 03-14-2004, 10:03 AM
P2
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I just retired my Cobra lathe after 10 long years.....picked up a Hudy and it's more accurate due to the finer pitch of the lead screws. I'm still using my old diamond bit and the cuts are flawless.
Just my $.02
Old 07-13-2004, 06:32 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 95 (100%+)
Default Team Integy Auto-Super Lathe

I have one and its "Awesome!". I got it at my local hobby shop for $180, they had the Hudy for $149 (With no bit) so I bought the Integy and I can tell you that it was a purchase I'm glad I made. Its easy to use and the cut is second to none! Hope this helps.

Tony
Old 07-21-2004, 07:01 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Team Integy Auto-Super Lathe

I will second that. The lathe is great! Easy to use. It also is a good value, since it comes with a drive motor, cutting bit, and a carrying case.
Old 07-22-2004, 03:34 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

As I posted on the other thread concerning comm lathes......It's very dificult to achieve the cut that you get from a high quality,properly set-up automatic lathe......this holds true not only for our little R/C pit lathes but for full size lathes as well.....an automatic lathes design, really has very little to do with being lazy or making the cutting of your comm faster.......you may think you can use the same input voltage and crank the wheel the same every time....but at times your further off than you think......Im not saying that one "needs" an automatic lathe to get a good quality cut, but there can be a noticable difference..especialy when your sweating and in a hurry between rounds on a race day.... my new Hudy executive auto lathe cuts more percise and more consistant with a better finish than even the top of the line Hudy manual lathe I had been using..... and the integy auto lathe is considered to be ,so top of the line that it's the first choice of motor builder Big Jim Greenemeyer with all of the motors he builds and shipps out....and for the price, it's about the best you can get........on the other hand if your a beginer or you have no confidence in your ability to simply turn a thumbwheel to set the automatic stops than I really dont know what to say
Old 07-22-2004, 05:13 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Also worth mentioning is that "bit set-up" or shimming is far from the "most" important thing that dictates the quality of a lathe or it's cutting ability.......High tollerance gibbs make a big difference.....adjustable Upright positioning.....Quality materials also make a big difference in how your guides will wear ,which can make a lathe cut completely out of round or cone shaped........designs that decrease vibration make a huge difference......feed speed.....the "armature being cut" speed.......my point is there's many things that make a good lathe a good lathe........
Old 07-23-2004, 05:17 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Old 07-23-2004, 06:55 PM
Tech Lord

here is a pic of a comm i just cut on my integy auto lathe that is straight and round within .0002
cant get much better than that and best of all,the other 6 i did after it were all identical.hope this helps
Attached Thumbnails Team Integy Auto-Super Lathe?-comm-cut.jpg  
Old 07-23-2004, 07:39 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Originally posted by protc3
here is a pic of a comm i just cut on my integy auto lathe that is straight and round within .0002
cant get much better than that and best of all,the other 6 i did after it were all identical.hope this helps
I need myself one of these lathes

- JayBee
Old 07-23-2004, 07:46 PM
Tech Lord

139.00 on ebay baby!!!
cant beat it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.