Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Your take on 3 carbon fibre touring cars >

Your take on 3 carbon fibre touring cars

Your take on 3 carbon fibre touring cars

Old 09-03-2005, 08:53 PM
Tech Adept

Default Your take on 3 carbon fibre touring cars

Hi guys, On-road season is coming soon for me and I am deciding on getting a new on-road car as I am selling my FT TC3 (great car) and would like to know what you guys like and dislike on the following cars. I am thinking about getting the new Hot Bodies Cyclone, Team Associated's FT TC4 and Team Losi's JRX-S.

I know the Hot bodies isn't out yet and you might not be able to say much about it, but any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 09-03-2005, 11:59 PM
Tech Elite

oh great another one of these, its gonna start off, all the cars you listed are good but you should consider a xray cause it won this (insert name) race another guy will say, get a tamiya it won this race, some else will say corrally, and on and on and on, there is no best car out there, there are only cars you feel comfortable driving and the higher the comfort level the better you will drive making you and the car faster. however there are cars out there that are pure "toys" but none of those are on your list or mine. now that thats outta the way,

seeing how you already have the tc3 and like it. why not up grade to the tc4, many of your parts will interchange.
Old 09-04-2005, 12:07 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Turtlemaster
oh great another one of these, its gonna start off, all the cars you listed are good but you should consider a xray cause it won this (insert name) race another guy will say, get a tamiya it won this race, some else will say corrally, and on and on and on, there is no best car out there, there are only cars you feel comfortable driving and the higher the comfort level the better you will drive making you and the car faster. however there are cars out there that are pure "toys" but none of those are on your list or mine. now that thats outta the way,

seeing how you already have the tc3 and like it. why not up grade to the tc4, many of your parts will interchange.
I`ll 2nd that..

Cheers
Old 09-04-2005, 12:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Of the car's you listed I would say the FT TC4. Here is why...

1. Cyclone isn't out yet.
2. TC4 won Reedy so it is proven against belts, plus it is brand new.
3. I had the JRS-X and personally loading the batteries from underneath & getting them to fit in the first place was a pain in the rear.
Old 09-04-2005, 02:40 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jamescam

3. I had the JRS-X and personally loading the batteries from underneath & getting them to fit in the first place was a pain in the rear.
I'll add another to that, I just ran mine for the first time tonight, & I have NO doubt it's a BIG improvement over my older cars(I also has a FT TC3 & a basic TC4 after that), I think you'll get comfortable with it VERY quickly(& comfort level I think is far more important than anything else with today's elite cars).....
Old 09-04-2005, 02:52 AM
Tech Initiate

Since you had the TC3, I would buy the FT TC4. You already know how your TC3 works. Now try the FT TC4. It doesn't matter who won what with what car. You are betteroff with the one your are experience with.
Old 09-04-2005, 07:04 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Also, just consider parts availability in your area.. you don't want to wait a few days for spare parts to be mailed to you, when you can just hop to your nearest LHS (or even better - race track ) and pick it up right there. If you can already get parts for your TC3, then the TC4 parts will be that much easier to get.
Old 09-05-2005, 05:45 PM
Tech Adept

I have broken my choices down now to the Factory Team TC4 and the HB Cyclone. As for parts, I will be able to get both very easily as the hobbyshop I work at carries both Hot Bodies and Associated parts, we do carry Losi but not many serious racers that would buy the JRXS and seems everyone in my town buys what the hobbyshop guys are running. I wouldn't mind running the Losi car but I don't think they would stock parts for one car in a city. Thanks for the info.
Old 09-10-2005, 09:16 AM

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

Originally Posted by jamescam

Cyclone looks interesting.
I've had a tc3. It was ok, a lil' too loud though. Tc4 is a great car if you want it.
I have a jrxs and love it. If you build it per the instructions, the batts. will fit w/out a prob. I didn't have any probs. Loading them only takes less than 10 sec. So unless you run back to back LeMans type enduro's.... you should have plenty of time in between runs. I know i'll have too much time in between heats to care about how long it takes to load/unload a batt.
Old 09-10-2005, 09:22 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

you should be considering the Yokomo BD, Schumacher MI2, Corally or the X-Ray.
Old 09-10-2005, 09:37 AM
TLRacing

Originally Posted by the dirt
I have broken my choices down now to the Factory Team TC4 and the HB Cyclone. As for parts, I will be able to get both very easily as the hobbyshop I work at carries both Hot Bodies and Associated parts, we do carry Losi but not many serious racers that would buy the JRXS and seems everyone in my town buys what the hobbyshop guys are running. I wouldn't mind running the Losi car but I don't think they would stock parts for one car in a city. Thanks for the info.

I am sure your shop will get whatever parts that are needed for the JRXS. Honestly all three cars are really good. There are positives and negatives behind all of them. The HB car is relatively expensive compared to the TL car. I am not sure what the cost is on the new TC4.

As for loading the batteries, they are not as bad as some may say. It is just different.
Old 09-10-2005, 09:46 AM
Tech Regular

Default Parts is Parts

I think it comes down to parts supply and familiarity with setups and ability to wrench. Coming from a TC3, it's obvious to go to a TC4, unless you llike buying a lot of other aftermarket parts and learning new things.

Reedy proved the TC4s ability, it finally comes down 1) to can you drive, 2) take care of batteries and 3) keep up with motors.

JMO
Old 09-10-2005, 10:16 AM

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

Jrxs comes with all you need. Except the large batt. tray. LOL Even a body.
Old 09-10-2005, 10:38 AM
Tech Master

There's also the Tamiya 415, the EVO IV and the HPI Pro4 to consider.
Old 09-10-2005, 10:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I find it amusing that the TC4 fans say DON'T base it one what race...but buythe TC4 because it won Reedy and is proven against belts....

the biggest problem that I had with my TC4's when I ran them was the absoultely wretched quality of the parts fit and finish.and the rate at which the parts would wear and get sloppy...even the graphite pieces...

You also need to take into consideration the surface you'll be running on...my understanding is that the Cyclone has been designed from the ground up to be an asphalt car...which is good if you race asphalt....but if you're a carpet racer it might cost you big $$ on top of the near $500 pricetag for the initial kit...

Based on your selections and not wanting to add another car to the mix...consider you can buy 2 FT TC4's for the price of 1 cyclone...

I'm partial to Xray based on handling, durability, adjustability and support....I could care less who won what race...but they're not on your list...so just buy whatever catches your eye...and run it..

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.