R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-01-2010, 09:54 AM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default Classic US Vintage Trans Am Racing

This thread is meant for the people that do not want rules regarding Speed controls and are generally happy with the way the direction of the class is going.

As the title states, this is intended for to be run under the Classic VTA Rules that are currently used in 2009 and the first part 2010.

Mandatory
  • No extra driver interior parts to paint.
  • No rules on ESC's

Optional debate is possibly with the FDR and motor.

*The motor is the cheapest option to slow the car down if people deem it nescessary.

*IF people would like to slow the car down to a slower motor, there will not be a limit on which manufacture you have to choose.

Racers in the VTA Sportsman class can bump into this class at any event if the race director chooses to allow it.
Old 01-01-2010, 10:01 AM   #2
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Slotmachine

I like the direction we were going........No more limits!
Old 01-01-2010, 10:02 AM   #3
Tech Fanatic

It's still the cheapest Touring car racing there is!
Old 01-01-2010, 10:57 AM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 152 (100%+)
Default Now we are talkn...

With no ESC limit will it be ok to use timing advance and boost settings or will that be discuraged?

I really like the direction of this class as I am not willing to purchased yet more equipment to continue running a class I have already invested money into.

Lets keep it going!!!
JFuel11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 11:22 AM   #5
Tech Fanatic

I don't see a need to regulate ESC's, or the timing characteristics of them.

The base setting of all the esc's are different, so it will never a completely even playing field unless the same esc and motor are used. This would kill the class.
Even still, not one single ESC is dominating the racing scene. Hence, no rule on esc's.

If one thing should or could change, I feel it should be limited to the motor. That is what really is up for discusion.
Old 01-01-2010, 11:36 AM   #6
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

There are a few balance problems going on here with the newer rules.

I drove the 25.5 and like it. I think it will provide really fun racing. It's not the slow speeds as much as the lack of punch making you set up corners and passing. The resources to get to the 0* timing with a 25.5 maybe too much.

I'm on the fence. I think the best thing to do is see how things shake out in the next few months and be patient. Nine months is a long time to work stuff out.

Pros and cons of things we don't know yet:
* Will the slower speeds and heavier cars really provide closer racing? Or will it just slow down the B-main guys more, causing an even larger speed disparity?
* Will the closer racing cause more wrecks and will more races be determined by marshalls?
* Will tracks be litered with tiny lexan drivers after each heat?
* Will tires last a lot longer offsetting the costs of new motors over time?
* Will the slower speeds help the on-road class like the Slash has helped off-road?

Stay calm, be patient, and have fun.
xevias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 11:42 AM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

If a driver is ejected and you run him over, is it a stop and go penalty?

Bob- Hope to see ya tomorrow. NickA
TeamCarnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 11:46 AM   #8
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xevias View Post
* Will the slower speeds and heavier cars really provide closer racing? Or will it just slow down the B-main guys more, causing an even larger speed disparity?
Bingo!

The fast will just continue to be fast what ever the rules and class.

The decision makers at the top of racing organizations shouldn't penalize the fast for that reason, nor everyone else by coming up with new formulas to even the field.
Old 01-01-2010, 12:02 PM   #9
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamCarnage View Post
If a driver is ejected and you run him over, is it a stop and go penalty?

Bob- Hope to see ya tomorrow. NickA
The car is Black flagged until the driver is back in. Who ever heard of a car driving itself without a driver in it?? LOL Geez - Only RC racing doesnt have drivers
Old 01-01-2010, 12:14 PM   #10
Tech Fanatic

Xevias - you have some good points!

I've heard the 25 motor cars run smooth.

I'm open to a motor change, but hear my thoughts and voice yours:
  1. With the FDR changing that much, will older cars be able to gear up that high due to the drastic change in Spur and pinion size?
  2. If older cars can't gear high enough, does that now take out the affordability of it?
  3. It would seem that tires should last longer, is that a big enough payback to justify the cost of the motor?

Personally, I don't care for the heavier cars either. More mass when hitting something means more breaking , (cough) for beginners - lol

I'm ready for a new motor either way. I run off-road and oval and use teh same ESC for all of it. I'm too cheap to buy expensive esc that are only made for offroad or onroad. That is the reason I choose Tekin. Can't say it helped one bit, but it sure is fun to play with.
I really like Tekin quality for the motors, but the rebuild options of the new Novak stuff is super sweet!!

I feel track owners/operators should be the one's voicing the complaints. Every racers out there knows a keyboards junkie and when they cry enough they get the attention, deserved or not. How can we have the track owners be the voice of the operation in a 'majority rules' scenario?
Old 01-01-2010, 01:31 PM   #11
Tech Addict

I think Jesus already smacked down your gearing issue on the OGVTA thread.

Most of the work to fit tall gears in any TC (not just old ones) has already been done to get to the old limit of 4.2; plus the testing FDR of 3.6 might not even be right for everybody, the same way 4.2 wasn't automatically the best FDR.
Old 01-01-2010, 02:59 PM   #12
Tech Fanatic

Gearing isn't a total deal breaker either way. Gearing choices do get smaller when you run a smaller spur and larger pinion though. One tooth change will be a lot.
Thats cool if Jesus has tested all the older cars like the XXXS, JRXS and the T1 Xray Cars.

The way I look at it is this.
Touring cars are generally for the advanced RC car driver/enthusiast. These people are generally more of a high tech crowd with the appreciation of door to door racing and suspension tuning.
Slower racing is fun, but there is no low price touring car out there that is awesome for beginners. Thats why the Slash was such a hit. ($200 car ready to run w a battery).
If maybe Traxxas or HPI wanted to make a car cheap and we agreed on an open motor rule maybe they could offer a car that beginners could compete with. That would keep the class growing the easiest way.

Slowing down the high tech racers that are in the crowd that made it what it is, I feel isnt the answer.

What do you guys feel?

Last edited by Spdjunky; 01-01-2010 at 03:09 PM.
Spdjunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 04:33 PM   #13
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Here's an idea for ya if you like the 21.5 and the esc and the speeds instead of ripping off the USVTA start a class called RCST 21.5 motors and run modern street tuner cars like the Grand Am series does in the ST class with a spec tire.
It's slower than RCGT but faster than the "New VTA" you can run both rcgt and rcst cars together just like the big boys do.
Just something for you to think about.
smokefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 05:24 PM   #14
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spdjunky View Post
Gearing isn't a total deal breaker either way. Gearing choices do get smaller when you run a smaller spur and larger pinion though. One tooth change will be a lot.
Not to be jerk, but as the gear ratio gets taller the change in ratio from one tooth to another gets smaller. ie one tooth change will be a little.
Old 01-01-2010, 06:16 PM   #15
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by gacjr0 View Post
Not to be jerk, but as the gear ratio gets taller the change in ratio from one tooth to another gets smaller. ie one tooth change will be a little.
Originally Posted by Spdjunky

Your not being a jerk, you just need to review your gear chart. A one tooth change in pinion size on a small spur gear does in fact lead to a larger change in the Rollout or FDR as compared to the same change on a larger spur gear. Yep, Really, Spdjunky was correct.