Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Classic US Vintage Trans Am Racing >

Classic US Vintage Trans Am Racing

Classic US Vintage Trans Am Racing

Old 01-03-2010, 08:57 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Of course, splintering off and starting a different class is a bad idea.

I believe the attitude of this thread is NOT to say "Rob is a jackass, his ideas are stupid, I'm going to start my own thing."

The vibe here is to encourage questions and get answers to those questions. In the original thread, if you express a concern, you are beaten up by keyboard bullies, or ignored, or rejected, or told if you don't like it - get out.

I'm currently encouraging the original poster to use this thread to educate track owners and the loyal casual racer so they can decide what rules (sugestions) to follow locally.
Old 01-04-2010, 12:02 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

ok...
Old 01-04-2010, 01:48 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by padailey
I've been basically scanning quickly through the posts but I don't think anyone has specifically answered the XXX-S gearing question of just how low of a FDR can you run. At the first TA nats I ran a XXX-S with the 108 spur and a 56 pinion... 3.52 I believe. I think a 57 might have fit but 56 was as big as I had.
Wow I would have never guessed that would fit ! Did you have to put the motor in with the pinion and then install the spur cuz I can't see it fitting throught the hole?
Old 01-04-2010, 09:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Lenman73
Wow I would have never guessed that would fit ! Did you have to put the motor in with the pinion and then install the spur cuz I can't see it fitting throught the hole?
No I installed it with the pinion on the motor and the spur installed. Motor is turned quite a bit so that it is quite a ways above the chassis but it fits.

Last edited by padailey; 01-05-2010 at 08:14 PM.
Old 01-05-2010, 08:43 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
I would like to type my opinion...

I think that this classic is a bad idea, even if I agree with alot of it...the problem is that we need to stick together...rather we agree or not...we need to back up Rob and the USVTA...it is what all got us to the dance to start with....you dont always agree with the prez, but you always support the troops....

if you want to change something I would just leave the current rules for your local club...and let that be the end of it...or maybe modify it some..exp..

current USVTA rules...except
no adv esc...incl SPX,RS,RS PRO,KO,ect..
any pre-1975 American Muscle Car
driver optional

and let that get you a very good starting point to an already great class...

dont change to much cause you will be right back to square one...and if thats the case, you need to start a totally new class....and since RCGT is taken, very slow TC sounds wrong..lol...just work with the current rules and see what happens...

I would like this class to start getting some respect in the r/c world..and if we dont start sticking together we will remain the bottom class of r/c racing, and not to mention getting pushed off major national races like Snowbirds and such...
This is dead on, I think instead of all the complaining about the "national rules" change individual clubs could just continue to run the old rules if they so choose. Just know that if you go to a sanctioned event you are going to be out of spec. We run on a large outdoor track in Dayton and I'm sure we will just keep the old rules from last year. I even remember seeing it posted somewhere that the new rules were meant for the indoor tracks. Personally I see a lot of people getting way too worked up about this, if your club wants to run old rules run 'em, if you like the new ones run those. Just my $.02
Old 01-05-2010, 05:50 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JCarr
This is dead on, I think instead of all the complaining about the "national rules" change individual clubs could just continue to run the old rules if they so choose. Just know that if you go to a sanctioned event you are going to be out of spec. We run on a large outdoor track in Dayton and I'm sure we will just keep the old rules from last year. I even remember seeing it posted somewhere that the new rules were meant for the indoor tracks. Personally I see a lot of people getting way too worked up about this, if your club wants to run old rules run 'em, if you like the new ones run those. Just my $.02
I agree with this also. So for clubs that want to run the 'old rules', we'll just call it the 'Classic' rules.

To respond to some earlier comments:

Honestly, I don't see a need to limit MAH. I heard people talking about it and threw it in there. In a way it would help balance the car out a bit, with the larger packs though.

It would be nice if Tekin still offered the quick check software to use though. In other words, No Turbo is allwed!

I really didn't want to split the classes, and I am dissapointed it did.
I was hoping the thread would have provided a more open discussion to the class than the other thread where people were shot down with their comments.
I have never met the 'Apexspeed' guy, but I have instantly gained admiration for him putting up with those whiners so long.

There are haters for me making this thread. However, there will be clubs that were going to run the 'Classic' rules anyway. Now it just makes it more formal.
Old 01-05-2010, 06:47 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I think it would be a lot of fun to run these with the current rules.http://www.rctech.net/forum/attachme...01-medium-.jpg
Old 01-05-2010, 06:58 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Slotmachine
I think it would be a lot of fun to run these with the current rules.http://www.rctech.net/forum/attachme...01-medium-.jpg
Pass that one around and share it while we think about it......
Old 01-05-2010, 07:08 PM
Tech Adept

I think having a no esc limit is good. Just stick with the fdr at being 4.2 or slower depending on track. I run a spx on profile 8, I like the speed. At our club track we have about 10-12 every week. We will continue to run the old rules just because everyone likes the speed. Since october when we started racing carpet, I have finally worn out my tires after racing every weekend and haven't broke anything since July when I ran asphalt.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mark_stnly
I think having a no esc limit is good. Just stick with the fdr at being 4.2 or slower depending on track. I run a spx on profile 8, I like the speed. At our club track we have about 10-12 every week. We will continue to run the old rules just because everyone likes the speed. Since october when we started racing carpet, I have finally worn out my tires after racing every weekend and haven't broke anything since July when I ran asphalt.
Lets us know after you run against some Tekins with the newest update.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:35 PM
Tech Adept

I do run with tekins w/ the new update, but what beat me last weekend was a shuey box stock car with a speed passion 2.0 esc. The guy that beat me is a bottom Amain to top Bmain driver at national level in stock touring. He is alot smoother than me on driving. There is guys running the Mamba pro they are right on my TC3 a$$. In order to make it all fair is for everyone run the same car chassis, same motor, same esc same gearing, same radio, and same body to keep everyone equal. With the rule changes this would make me go back to stock touring, less Bullcrap.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:47 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by mark_stnly
With the rule changes this would make me go back to stock touring, less Bullcrap.
I really do like running the older rules and the same tires, motor and gearing limits with the same brick bodies.

Your point is well taken and hard to argue with.
Old 01-06-2010, 03:42 PM
Tech Champion

Default THUNDER TRANS-AM SERIES

Just to let everyone know, THUNDER JAM CHAMPIONSHIP #2 is coming up on Jan 24th...this is considered a Snowbird warm-up race....we(me and Donald) original plan was for a Jr TA trophy race, and it grew to one of Thunder RC's biggest races of the year....this race will still have the VTA trophy race as well as other classes racing....here is the post from the web page....

Thunder Jam Onroad
Description: Open 9am Race noon
$20 first all entries with payout
junior TA $10 trophies
Pro TA TMPL rules
USVTA
17.5 TC Foam
17.5 12th scale
Rubber 17.5 if enough
Date: Sunday, January 24, 2010

THUNDER JAM CHAMPIONSHIP #2 TROPHY RACE

Race Specification:
- 5 minute qualifiers(3 each)
- 8 minute main
- Classes will include TA and Jr TA
- Sportsman and rookie classes if enough show(5 or more) NO TROPHY

Trophy VTA & JR TA:
- 1st
- 2nd
- 3rd

RULES for the event: ONLY FOR TROPHY
http://www.usvintagetransam.com/rules/index.html

THE USVTA RULES MUST BE FOLLOWED TO THE LETTER!

IF YOU WANT TO RUN IN THIS RACE UNDER SPORTSMAN OR ROOKIE, YOU CAN STILL USE TMPL RULES, BUT IT WONT HAVE A TROPHY FOR THE WINNERS....(GET A 21.5 MOTOR) RULES ARE POSTED HERE....

http://www.coolspringsracing.com/Rules.html

Prises for:
-fastest lap
-slowest lap
-worst body
-best body

Touring Car and 12th Scale are welcome to run on this day as well....

SPONSORED BY KRC & THUNDER RC RACEWAY
Old 01-06-2010, 08:35 PM
Tech Champion

I know that you guys arent slamming the USVTA and I commend you for that, but this still feels like some kind of mutiny. This bothers me something major. I also think its a misnomer to call the rules that are currently in play "Classic VTA". It just shows that you have only been running this class a short while. Classic VTA is four cells and 27 turns brushed. I dont hear anybody saying that they want to go back to that.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:34 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Semantics. The world is full of strange, inaccurate names.

In architecture we got a neo-classical style. The new-old style. We also have post-modern style. After the present. How can something be built in a style that is after the present? Once it's built - it IS in the present.

It's a valuable thread because some tracks aren't going to adopt the new rules. This thread can become a good resource for track directors trying to understand how to run a VTA class with LiPo/21.5/programable ESCs.

If VTA splinters into two classes it won't be because of this thread, but due to the new rules not fitting a local club. So this is thier place to discuss the older, mid-classic rules.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.