R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-17-2010, 05:04 PM   #121
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Personally, I think the kit looks awesome! I can't see where buying the chassis kit is justified.

For that much money you should be able to get a newer used car cheaper that handles better.
Old 01-17-2010, 07:37 PM   #122
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-milz View Post
I usually run my trusty old TC3 for my local VTA class and I happened upon this kit. I know its rather expensive but I have a ton of parts left over from my NTC3. My question is: Is this kit worth the price? Does any one run this kit?

http://www.xtremercracing.com/TC3_Ca...iber_Parts.cfm
I know you have some spare parts etc.. but man a new Evo IV from Tamiya is only $230 new right now.
TwoTone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 08:07 PM   #123
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 245 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-milz View Post
I usually run my trusty old TC3 for my local VTA class and I happened upon this kit. I know its rather expensive but I have a ton of parts left over from my NTC3. My question is: Is this kit worth the price? Does any one run this kit?

http://www.xtremercracing.com/TC3_Ca...iber_Parts.cfm
Looks like somebody reverse engineered (copied) the old IRS chassis kit for the TC3, right down to the side rails. I think IRS still sells them, maybe a few bucks less by the time you buy the side rails.

Check the Diggity XLR8 as well.

As far as the nay-sayers, the neat thing with stuff like this is that it is a lot of fun for some people to be competitive with stuff that ISN'T run-of-the-mill same-as-everyone-elses we're-sheep-baaaaaaaaaa-watch-us-follow-the-leader stuff. TC3 parts are fully available, DIRT cheap, and a TON easier to get than Tamiya parts tend to be. I would also offer that with the VTA formula slowing down again that the TC3/4 is PLENTY competitive, in fact I would argue that in the lower power spec that existed originally it was extremely hard for belt cars to beat a properly set-up shafty with a spool for putting ALL of what little power there is straight down to the carpet.

THE REVOLUTION WILL NOT BE TELEVISED -Gil Scott-Heron (1949-2011)
Scottrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 10:51 PM   #124
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

So now on top of a new motor and ESC, I have to get a shaft driven car to be competitive?

Damn it!

I might have to get that Assasin direct drive kit for my RDX...
xevias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 10:57 PM   #125
Tech Champion

Not what was said, but if that's how you choose to read it I guess there's not much to be done about that.

Old 01-18-2010, 08:18 AM   #126
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Joking.

Weeeeeee!
xevias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 09:02 AM   #127
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default THUNDER TRANS-AM SERIES

after alot of thought, and racing in Cincy this weekend....Im asking all the guys that are racing VTA to turn off the boost/turbo/timming advance esc's.....if you like the way things are, I understand, but I have seen 1st hand how this is the best move for the VTA class as a whole.

New tech is coming in from all over that are making the "stock/spec" classes un-managable for entry level or even "fast" guys...so in the intrest of fairness I believe this is the best move for the remaining Thunder Trans-am Series races....it doesnt cost you anything and the speeds allow for everyone to truly have a shot at winning....

I hope nobody has a issue and understands where Im coming from. As you guys know Im not the boss, but I do what I can to help anywhere its needed and me putting the series together with Dirla is an attempt to give a little something back to the guys that come out weekend after weekend to support the on-road scene(VTA..lol)....and I feel that a small change like this will help in the long run....If you feel Im wrong or you know of any other solution, by all means PM me and we will discuss it behind close doors.

here is an example of what is needed

LRP SPX profile 1-4
LRP TC/SPEC profile 1-6
Tekin RS/Pro turbo off
Ko Propo stock setting

it will be noticable in a race is someone is using it...but Im asking the 40+ VTA racers here locally to be honest and dont embarass yourself and have your car pulled by a tech at the end of the race....

ps...tech of VTA cars will be after the heat and ramdom in the pits...

lets try and have a great raceday and put on a show for the outta towners that are coming to claim some victories....lets send them home happy and glad they came...but with NO HARDWARE!!!!!!..........lol...sort of?

thanks,
Myron "BATTMAN" Kinnard
615-851-1876
1172 Park Ave, Murfreesboro, TN 37129
DARKSIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 09:15 AM   #128
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

are you wanting timing turned down to zero as well on the ESCs, or at the recommended USVTA Level? Not sure if you have guys running speed passion units, but they go by various timing settings, with odd numbers like 11.25 timing, etc.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:17 AM   #129
Tech Champion

motor timing is on the racer...dont have the specs on speed passion yet...Ive only seen maybe two ppl run them...but we will check the day of, unless someone knows what it is....

re-read....adv timing/boost/turbo ect on esc are to be off...not sure if you was talking about motors or esc...

for motors whatever you want...for esc's...it goto be off....
Old 01-18-2010, 10:44 AM   #130
Tech Legend

for ESCs is what I referring too, and what setting for timing on the ESCs. I don't think speed passion ESCs have a "boost" feature like Tekin. out here I have been setting my timing to the 11.25 value or the next one down (8.75) to try out and see the difference.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:01 AM   #131
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by xevias View Post
Joking.

Weeeeeee!
OH...I get it..."joking". You mean like THIS joke that responded to your attempted "slam" by spiking it back into your court:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottrik View Post
That said, if your RC racing isn't any closer to "real" racing than "vibro-football" is to NFL then I'd suggest your group might be better suited to SINGLE cell / 25.5. I've seen those "vibro-football" folks race...most folks call it "Novice Class". Put 'em on the grid, sound the buzzer, and off they go in whatever direction they happen to be aimed in when the trigger is pulled.
...that got you all butt-hurt:

Quote:
Originally Posted by xevias View Post
no reason to insult my club's collective driving skill. That was mean.
I hope you can understand my confusion. After that I figured you were all "Mr. Serious Man", but it turns out you (think you) have a sense of humor after all.

Will try to remember that. Xevias is joking, except when he's taking it all serious and stuff. Which one is it in any given post? Take a wild guess...

Weeeeee.

Old 01-18-2010, 11:28 AM   #132
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
for ESCs is what I referring too, and what setting for timing on the ESCs. I don't think speed passion ESCs have a "boost" feature like Tekin. out here I have been setting my timing to the 11.25 value or the next one down (8.75) to try out and see the difference.
let me know how that works...so I will have a guide line to use ...thx
Old 01-18-2010, 11:29 AM   #133
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to seaball

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKSIDE View Post
after alot of thought, and racing in Cincy this weekend....
thanks for coming out to the n.e.g.s. race. i hope you enjoyed yourself ....
Attached Thumbnails
Classic US Vintage Trans Am Racing-18p1050658-800.jpg   Classic US Vintage Trans Am Racing-10p1050643-640.jpg  
Old 01-18-2010, 11:38 AM   #134
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaball View Post
thanks for coming out to the negs race. i hope you enjoyed yourself. vta 'a-main' ....

sweeeeet...I really enjoyed myself....some quick thanks

thanks to the Tri-state family for the event and for babysitting after my wife and daughters took forever to come get me...(Zoo was nice for them)

thanks to all the VTA racers, love the class more all the time and the only reason I travel to race..(sorry Snowbirds, NO VTA)

thanks to AE and Kevin for the help on the shock issue, you are a class act. Nice to watch the guy out of the Magazine in person....

thanks to Rob King for coming and being true to the VTA class...

and thanks to Robert "Nashrcracer" Dirla for letting me know about the race

oh, my lovely wife Eboney, for allowing me the time to come and play with my toy cars....(she standing over my shoulder)....

Last edited by DARKSIDE; 01-18-2010 at 12:33 PM.
Old 01-18-2010, 12:23 PM   #135
Tech Legend

When I tried the timing settings on the ESCs, i didn't see a real difference than the guy running a Havoc 2S when I was using 11.25 degrees or the lower value, especially as I could just bump up the timing on the Novak Ballistic motor. Above the 11.25 degrees I started to notice a difference, a bit more revving at the top end.

I think Solara though could better answer than me, as the track I run on is a tighter track.