Old 03-10-2002, 06:31 PM
AO
Tech Addict

Originally posted by Pyramid
Tamiya TRF414M

Comes complete with option parts
High quality material use
Admirable Design
Performance? just find the special new release memorial chassis, you'll find out.

Tips: If you running on parking lot, you defenetly should not get the Yokomo style bulkhead or you will end up spending more on maintanance of the car than driving it Oh yed it's true because I had two before.
Yet i agree with you. The car performance was good in hk 1 2. I think the m2 will be better as it is light and stronger.
Old 03-10-2002, 06:38 PM
Tech Master

AO,

you said EVO II is heavy?? that I have to disagree, If you say EVO1 is on the heavy side, that I will agree. EvO1 is a bit heavy, but the car has a very effiecent drivetrain, I think it does make up for it.

EVOII is much lighter car. And EVOII's suspension doesn't just (pass). It is much better than pass. It's pretty much the same geo as 414M's. So it's better than pass.

both are great cars, it really depends on the driver more than the car. I suck at driving RC car, so my car doesn't look fast when i'm driving it ( I have Evo 1) But it looks so much faster and smoother when other more experienced drivers are driving it.
Old 03-10-2002, 08:20 PM

Originally posted by AO

I have not own a Xray before so not much idea. But from the look of the car the performance from our local driver. It is a good car but no sponsor driver international. (I Think). But it is a car in kit form you will never need to buy anything else.
I believe the kit comes with plastic damper, no adjustable sway bar, etc. With Xray, you could not use Aero Disch Wheel because the dust will get into the pivot ball easly. Also, the original wheel screw keep getting lose.

Yes, it has infinite adjustment, but you have to keep them adjusted every single day/run (to make sure everything is in correct measurement). Think of its pivot ball ARMS, when you hit something or being hit by someone, wouldn't you care to check on its measurement on every incidents?

Moreover, there are too many options parts, many enough to make you confuse what to run. For example, flex upper deck, different battery layout (must use different chassis), etc..etc..etc.
Just go to their website and check, you will find that if you were wanted to have all the option, you need to spend more money than original chassis kit costs.

The only good thing about Xray is just its Ball Differential as it could be adjusted from outside.

Last but not least, it is just a matter of driving skill that counts.

Remember when Dave Jun drive his TA02 (if not mistaken), and win the National Title in the USA? Did you even think that the car ever be competitive enough to enter the race?

This is just an opinions of mine
Old 03-10-2002, 09:18 PM
Tech Addict

I think that many cars from the past 5 years can still be competitive. Its not so much what you've got but how you set it up and how you drive it.
Old 03-10-2002, 10:09 PM
Tech Master

I once thought the Xray had a revolutionary ball diff. But when I acquired my used Neo NR4, it also had the exact style i.e poke a sharp object into the hole, and depending on adjusting the tire to tighten/loosen the differential. So... no big deal.... also the amount of adjustments, it's really for the pros. Plus, pivot ball suspension. Needs integy or hudy setups -> expensive.

Pyramid: Wasn't it the TA03? Which is why they have a TA03 David Jun Special Edition?

My .02 on this: The best touring car is the one which you can handle
Old 03-10-2002, 11:01 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

First time i saw this thread, i knew this would all lead to one endless debate. everyone would have their own personal opinions and biases. i mentioned the xray t1 becuase i personally feel that it must be one of the top cars out there. i've been through HPI Pro2's TC3's Pro3's and the like. The XRay just couldn't match the quality and build of these cars. I know the Xray got its limitations and yes like you guys said... it does all boil down to setting up and driving skill.
Old 03-11-2002, 04:06 AM
Tech Master

I thought the quality of the Xray was the best I have every seen... the bulkheads cnc alum really appealed to me (as did the Tamiya TRF414M). However, the price, and the number of people running them did not appeal to me... it also has a "I am professional" stigma attached to it. Finally, it cannot be used for the closed Tamiya Series. Heh. For newbies like me, nah.

OTOH the stock Pro 3's build really seems bad *to me*... I did not like the feel of the plastic's texture (I used too much tamiya keke)... BUT... on track performance it is a real stunner. It seems to have a real bad reputation online (plus to hop it up it ain't cheap), but, whoa when the people at the track I run at (yuan ching) ask what brand car is the fast one, they did not believe it was a so-called sucky pro 3. And it isn't really hopped up ;-)

Equipment plays a significant part, but of more importance, rather, is individual skill and car setup. That particular pro 3 I mentioned, used a Yokomo 23T to qualify B3 in a MOD Motor Race! We were using from 9Ts and above, with ppl favouring between 11 to 13 turns (i ran 14x2), blew the pro 3's doors off at the straight for top speed (in a straight line!), but infield the pro 3's handling kicked some serious ass.
Old 03-11-2002, 06:23 AM
Tech Initiate

The best is the TRF 414M or the TA04 Pro Blue Collection. A lot of potential with its fantastic design and worlwide support. Versatile to any surface or track which makes rookies ans pro's smile. Pretty much contented by it and nothing more.
Old 03-11-2002, 06:41 PM
AO
Tech Addict

Originally posted by TRF-Powered
AO,

you said EVO II is heavy?? that I have to disagree, If you say EVO1 is on the heavy side, that I will agree. EvO1 is a bit heavy, but the car has a very effiecent drivetrain, I think it does make up for it.

EVOII is much lighter car. And EVOII's suspension doesn't just (pass). It is much better than pass. It's pretty much the same geo as 414M's. So it's better than pass.

both are great cars, it really depends on the driver more than the car. I suck at driving RC car, so my car doesn't look fast when i'm driving it ( I have Evo 1) But it looks so much faster and smoother when other more experienced drivers are driving it.
. Lets put at anyway. Evo I was reform from the The older version of tamiya shaft driven car. So i will say evo 1 was the best shaft driven car, as it geo like the arms and shock position is the finest. But you take look at evo II it is just a change of bulkhead. the upper arm adjustment, the rear toe in.

When i weigh my car it is about 1.7kg but with evo i it is about 1.63.

With evo i the free play is much less like arms, shaft and c hubs.

Old 03-11-2002, 06:43 PM
AO
Tech Addict

Originally posted by Technoskid
The best is the TRF 414M or the TA04 Pro Blue Collection. A lot of potential with its fantastic design and worlwide support. Versatile to any surface or track which makes rookies ans pro's smile. Pretty much contented by it and nothing more.
Totally agree with you. I heard it coming inJune
Old 03-11-2002, 06:57 PM
Tech Master

I believe there are 5 or so cars that are the cream of the crop..

but the Losi car is the best car....

how can anyone argue with Losi winning the last 7 world Class sedan races.....that should tell ya something.
Old 03-11-2002, 07:45 PM
Tech Master

BLAZN420,
I believe you are refering to race results in other parts of the world. In Singapore, the A mainers drive Kawada SVII, Tamiya 414M, Yokomo MR4 Pros (Not sure about SP), XXXS (I think. Can't confirm), Kyosho KX1 and various other brands like the Atlas YM34T.

One of the persons representing us at the tamiya asian cup actually drove a TL01!

Also, like in races over asia, such as the Hong Kong Races
http://www.tamiya.com/english/produc...t/hongkong.htm

You will note a bias of different types of cars. In fact, at the track I run at, i have, to date, only seen one XXXS there, and it doesn't live up to the hype.

The fastests electric cars at my track are Xrays, 414Ms, Pro3 and TB01...

Finally, all the A-mainers i've noted, can drive virtually any car they can get their hands on, and STILL remain in A-mains. This proves the car is secondary, driver skill and setup primary. I've seen the same driver use 414m, SVII, and another team using TBEVO, Corally C4.x (variants), 04Pros and all consistently getting into the A-mains.
Old 03-11-2002, 08:35 PM
Tech Master

man, Im talking about the prestigious races that actually count as world class.

the reedy tc championships, tc3 won the invitational class with a losi in 2nd, a losi won the open mod. class

the european champs. losi #1

the U.S. indoor champs. losi #1

the ROAR national Champs. losi #1

the Snowbird Champs. losi 1, 2, 3

....races that have many world champions attending...

no disrespect to drivers from other parts of the world, but if guys like Kinwald, Pavidas, Spachete, Backer, Cryul, Easton arent there, its not a world class race.....

90% of the best electric racers are from the U.S.

since the xxxs was released, Losi has won every race of world class quality...

there are many good sedans, but when all the worlds best are there, Losi wins.....
Old 03-11-2002, 08:48 PM
Tech Master

If you say so, sir. I noticed your posts in the Pro 3 thread too, I hope this thread does not degenerate to that state. So, if you say the XXXS is fast, it is

And if Atsuishi Hara, who was in the Hong Kong Race is nobody, I wouldn't really know who is a good driver.

Also, is the "Backer" you mentioned Barry Baker? If it is the same person, he finished 8th Position in the Hong Kong Race.

Please visit the URL here, the bottom of the page contains the placings.
http://www.tamiya.com/english/produc...t/hongkong.htm

Why I keep mentioning it? Because my dream touring car, the Tamiya TRF 414M FINISHED FIRST AND SECOND PLACE there.

However, the fastest car, is still as you say, the Losi XXXS.

PS: I am only in RC for nearly 9 months. All the names above are alien to me. Kinwald? Is it Kimbrough? I use Kimbrough spurs.

Regards,
Alvin
Old 03-11-2002, 08:49 PM
Tech Elite

BLAZN420- I can garuntee you have a Losi. And you can't actually believe it is so great just because people driving losi's won. Sure it is a great car, but is it head and shoulders above everything else? No. Does it also have faults and strengths? Yes.

I also disagree with your statement, "90% of all the best electric racers are from the US" Please look at Masami, also the world champ, Hara.

You are extremely biased and should think about what you say before you write it.

Speedo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.