R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-23-2001, 09:44 PM   #91
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Dang, two hours! If it takes that long to cool, I see why people only get to use them twice on a race day.

These 3000HV cells will be my first leap into the world of NiMH cells. I just hope when I get them, that I don't do anything to screw them up.
Old 10-23-2001, 10:00 PM   #92

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Darkside- as long as you have a decent charger, and don't use Trinity's method for maintaining them, you'll be OK

Well, I am at the track for about 14 hours on race day, so I should be able to use them a bit
Speedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2001, 10:08 PM   #93
R/C Tech Founder

What was Trinity's method of maintaining them, and what was wrong with it?
Old 10-23-2001, 10:10 PM   #94

Storing them with charge. I store mine without charge, and they have gotten a bit better after using big T's method.
Speedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2001, 06:16 AM   #95
RCTech Member #2

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to TSR6

Speedo - From everything i have read.. and expirianced with my 3k' H packs is that if you store with a charge, you loose less runtime. If you store without a charge you lose some runtime, but gain voltage.
RCTech Member #2

The postings and views expressed on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the positions, strategies, or opinions of any company I may be employed by.
TSR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2001, 07:17 AM   #96
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

store them charged, store them uncharged, store them charged ...now I'm confused :| ...I've been taking them down to 5.4 volts with a 10 light (soon to be 15 light) setup with a cutoff black box and storing them like that till next time.
HarshGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2001, 07:48 AM   #97
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

If you use your packs every week you don't need to worry about keeping charge in them. If you plan on storing them for a long period of time I suggest you cycle them every couple of weeks.

The Powers GT3000R has great shelf life and doesn't need to be cycled or partially charged when storing them. So far I see that the RC3000HV has similar charecteristics of the GT3000R but it's still to early to tell how the shelf life will be.
Danny/SMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2001, 09:16 AM   #98
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to stefan
Default NiMh storage

Ok, here is my run down on NiMh storage and treatment.

I'm running Pro-Match batteries and I got really good cells from Jeff when the first blue Panasonics came out.
Nobody knew how to treat them, so we listened to what Trinity told everybody: store them with partial charge.

This ruined mine and about everybody elses packs pretty quickly.

Basically the same happened when the first Sanyo 3000's hit the market.

I was getting pretty frustrated with the NiMh technology and settled for 2400's.

Then, after the release of the SMH's I got a call from Jeff, telling me how good they look and he send me a pack to try them.

I read on a board somewhere that Schumacher drivers are actually deadshorting their SMH cells and since I felt this couldn't have worse results than the Trinity method, I decided to give it a shot.

I never actually deadshorted mine,but I keep them on Pro-Match smart trays between cycles, which is usually a week.

In the meantime I'm using SMH batteries exclusively. My packs are as good or even better than when I got them.
The first pack dates back to May 2001 and it still has awesome numbers and performs incredible.

When Pro-Match cleaned out their blue Panasonics, I got two packs as practice packs.
Encouraged by the results of the SMH's, I treated the blue Panasonics the same way and they are holding up great.
Lost about 20 sec runtime @25 amps and voltage is still improving.

So, bottom line, I recommend to treat NiMh's actually the same way that you trear NiCad's.
stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2001, 11:38 AM   #99
Regional Moderator

This seems to be the biggest problem with the MiMH batteries. Their are so many conflicting reports on what to do and what not to do with them. Thats why I have avoided them up until now.

I mean the part of the hype surrounding the NiMH cells is that you don't have to go through some of the stuff you go through with NiCD cells. But, I have many people seem to be doing the exact same crap with the NiMH cells that they do with the NiCDs!

People are storing them discharged-supposedly your supposed to store them charge.

People are only using them once or at max twice a day-supposedly when the NiMH cells first came out, you could use them all day if you wanted. What happened to that?

Is anything we were told when the cells first came out still true?

If what stefan says is true, then most of the supposed advantages that the NiMh technology brought was pretty much crap. Aside from the extended run time, which isn't needed in stock class, whats the point of running NiMH cells?
Old 10-24-2001, 11:59 AM   #100
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Way back in the early days of electric racing we went through a lot of the same trials and tribulations you're seeing now with the NIMH cells. Back then, no one really knew for sure what it took to get the NICADs to work real well and last. The battery manufacturers gave us advice, which we dutifully followed and it turned out to not be of much value. It took some time, but eventually we figured out how to get the most out of our cells.

NIMH is new technology in R/C, and the conflicting stories will be there for a while until everyone figures out what really works and what doesn't, just like back in the early days of NiCAD racing.

The advnatages to NIMH are the increased run time, and the very flat discharge curve. NiCADs may still be a bit more punchy at the start of a run, but NIMH cells are way better through the middle and to the end.

For now, I run my NIMH packs once or twice at the track (I'd NEVER run a NiCAD race pack twice in the same day) then I discharge whatever remains in the pack after the run at 30A to .9V per cell, then put the pack in a ProMatch Smart TrayII which takes the cells down to .5V/cell. I store them in that state, and I either run them or cycle them every week. This seems to work pretty well for me so far.

Trips
Old 10-24-2001, 12:03 PM   #101
Company Representative

Darkside: The number one probelm is that when a company like Sanyo or Panasonic comes out with a new cell it's impossible for us to know how to take care of them until we get them and use them for awhile.

The newer NiMH's like the SMH's and RC3000Hv have increased voltage so they seem to be good in stock. Are they way better than nicads I don't think so. In fact the 2001 stock sedan carpet champ used our RC-2400's to win. He was racing against SMH's. It's amazing what you can accomplish by haveing the best setup and driving.

On another note you can also use your nicads more than once per day without any problems.
Old 10-24-2001, 12:39 PM   #102
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to stefan

Have you guys seen the Powers ad in the new Xtreme mag?

3 3 0 0 mAh
stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2001, 01:15 PM   #103
Company Representative

This is the GT3000R cell that has been available for 1 year now. It has the best capacity of any NiMH cell but the voltage is a bit lower.
Old 10-24-2001, 01:35 PM   #104
Regional Moderator

Danny/SMC: I know your right, because I do use my NiCDs more than once on a race day. I have never followed the supposed 'must do' stuff for batteries and very rarely miss the A-main. I don't cycle regularly and only discharge my packs to the point where the car wont move anymore. No discharge trays, dischargers or any of that. Heck I only have two matched packs and feel secure about racing with unmatched packs. Yet, as I said, I am an A-main regular and contender at all three of our local tracks. I just don't believe all the crap some people go through with these batteries is neccesary.

I know, I know, some people say;"Maybe if you did do all this stuff to your cells, you would win more often" yeah, yeah, I know......everyone who does the cycling and using each pack only once a day and all that always win

I'm not trying to become a battery expert and I'm not looking to create the most powerful pack around when I try the 3000HV cells, I just want info that will keep me from destroying them!

I don't mind having differing opinions on how to make the cells better and stronger, thats normal. What worries me is that some of the fundamental info on caring for the NiMH packs, seems to be contridicting each other.

O'well I guess I'll listen to all of it and comb through it to find the good stuff. But, one things for sure, I'm not going to buy an $80 pack and deadshort it! Thats one thing I am sure of.
Old 10-24-2001, 03:38 PM   #105
Company Representative

The number one thing to remember if you want to be competitive in RC racing is to drive perfectly which is real hard and always setup your car perfectly which is also real hard.

Yes it's confusing to see everyone has there own battery rituals. Just use one that seems logical and stick with it.