Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sanyo 3000HV cells!

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2002, 03:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I have been running Danny's HV packs for a year now following his charge/discharge advicse... The packs are still performing! While SMH users are loosing the odd cells the HV users are not.

90% of the local racers here use HV. The threshold is fine and some use non nihm chargers to charge them since the HVs act like nicads.

You risk nothing going with the HV's
Old 08-26-2002, 11:11 AM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Wilfred: NiMh cells seem to lose some performance as they mature but the newer generation ones such as the HV's are holding up better but the new GP3300 seems to be even better. since this new cell has 30 - 60 extra seconds over the 3000's even if you do lose some runtime they will still be high capacity cells.
Old 08-26-2002, 08:50 PM
Tech Regular

Danny- Tnx for the info, I'm now ready to order 2 sets at our local hobby. After my 30 amp discharge at 5.4 volts, i continue to discharge the pack at 2amps at 5.4v. Is this practical or i don't need to do this with the HV?

Joel- Glad to hear your comments on the HV, tnx a lot for convincing me to buy the HV.
Old 08-26-2002, 09:00 PM
Tech Regular

Danny- How many volts and amps do you need to zapped one cell?
Old 08-27-2002, 02:30 AM
Tech Regular

I'm not Danny, but I use something from 45 to 70 V. This means that the peak current is in the kA range. And it works really well on old cells! I'm seeing a 0,1V increase for a pack at 30A discharge.
BR/ JesseT
Old 08-27-2002, 06:20 PM
Tech Regular

JesseT - I assume you make your own zapper, kinda difficult to look for that kind of transfomer here, are there any site that i can visit to make this type of tranformer? I'm know how to wind transformers if only there's some diagram or winding instructions. and JesseT, it's D.C.right?
Old 08-28-2002, 12:35 AM
Tech Regular

Yes I have my own system. Glad you noticed. You can't find any suitable transformers unless you use welding equipment or something. Anyhow, transformers are not usually used for the obvious reason. The most common approach seems to be to use large capacitors (up to 0.1 Farads). Charge them up slowly to whichever voltage you want and then discharge them across the Cell with a Thyristor (often also referred to as a SCR in the USA). Thyristor is about the only device that can switch such currents. Any mechanical switch would weld its contacts together instantly. If you are not familiar with electronics don't attempt to build one. There are always risks when playing with high voltages and currents. It's easy to blow up something if you wire something incorrectly.
Always glad to help with different gadgets.
Jesse Tuominen
Old 09-02-2002, 06:05 PM
Tech Apprentice

HELLO PEOPLE,I COULD DO WITH SOME ADVICE ON HOW TO CHARGE MY 3000HV (4-CELL) FOR MODIFIED 1/12TH 8MINS RACING,I HAVE A NOVAK MILLENIUM CHARGER,WHO MANY AMPS SHOULD I CHARGE THEM AT FOR 8MINS RACING & WHAT SHOULD I SET THE DELTA-PEAK (VOLT THRESHOLD)TOO,(WHAT IS THIS FUNCTION FOR/MEAN (DELTA PEAK/THRESHOLD)IS IT HOW WARM THE CELLS GET??I SEE IN THE INSTRUCTIONS IT SAYS 4mV/CELL,IS THERE ANY ADVANTAGE FOR GOING HIGHER/LOWER ETC?

I ALSO GOT MYSELF A INTRONICS DISHCHARGER I THINK IT DISCHARGES AT 20AMPS/COULD CHANGING THE 20AMP FUSE TO A 30AMP CHANGE IT TO A 30AMP DISCHARGE-& WOULD THIS BE BETTER ETC.IT ALSO HAS A FUNCTION FOR 4-CELLS BUT I THINK IT ONLY DISCHARGES TO 5.40,WHEN IT STOPS SHOULD I KEEP PRESSING START UNTIL THE LCD SAYS AN EXTRA 180MILLIAMPS-HOUR?
I REALISE I SHOULD BE IN THE ROOKIE SECTION,(NOVICE)
BUT IF ANY ONE CAN HELP,IT WOULD BE VERY MUCH APPRECIATED!?!?
THANX
STEVE
Old 09-03-2002, 04:55 AM
Tech Elite

First of all, stop "shouting" - using caps lock - it's bad web manners.

Secondly, 4mv per cell is too low for the HV's, you want to be closer to 10-12mV per cell - yes, higher peak delta's have an impact on how hot the battery gets, but that's not the only reason they're important.

6A charge should be an ok starting point - a lower amp rate will give fractionally longer runtimes with less voltage.

I personally would not mess around with the discharger - 5.4v is way too high a voltage for a 4-cell pack to have dumped in fact it would be at the start of it's run), and pressing the button again and again to clip a little more capacity out sounds like a good way to hurt the cells - they like to be treated smoothly when cycling them.

3000's in theory don't need a discharge, but I like to do a cycle once every few weeks, seems to freshen them up a little (also tells me how the cells numbers are holding up).

If you want to discharge, try and find a 4-cell discharger.

Or turn to 6-cell stock racing.
Old 09-03-2002, 12:11 PM
Tech Regular

What do you think of the new Sanyo 3300HV cells? i know there are no real numbers yet but what do u think they'll be like. I was thinking about getting some new 3000HVs but I may wait for the 3300s to come out. Any more info?

PS: It's on the orion site, here
Old 09-03-2002, 05:00 PM
Tech Regular

What Happens if you charge your HVs at 4mv only and for a long period of time? Does under charging damages the HV? Or will it be just low on performance?
Old 09-03-2002, 05:41 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thumbs up

Cheers sosidge,didnt realise about the caps lock, you can take the cotton wool out of your ear's now,ill try to be a little quieter "shh"
unfortanatly up to now ive also been using 4mv-because of the instructions.should i also charge my panasonics-stock metal hydride around 10mv ?also i have a intronics discharger £90 etc
its able to discharge multi or single cells and has a button for 4,6 and 7 cells,but i don't think its discharging (4-cell to 360)-but don't quote me on that,could you explain what the mv for,or is it to complicated.thanx once again steve
(I like the yokomo off-road on your web site)when off-road was in,i use to have a super dog fighter,it was exellent!

Last edited by Stevie; 09-03-2002 at 05:53 PM.
Old 09-04-2002, 04:43 AM
Tech Elite

The SMH's should still be charged at around 4mV per cell - they're not as sturdy as the Sanyo HV's.

By 360, do you mean 3.6v? That's what you want to bring the 4-cell packs down to (0.9v per cell).

The mV (millivolts, 1/1000th of a volt) refers to the "peak delta", which is the downward turn in the voltage curve once a cell is charged, which peak chargers use to turn themselves off.

As a cell is charged, it's voltage gradually increases, then when it reaches a full charge, the voltage begins to drop again - it's the size of this drop that is measured in mV.

Bigger mV "peak deltas" equal more juice in the cells, which also equals more heat.

And overcharging and heat equals cell damage.

Glad you like the site.
Old 09-07-2002, 07:15 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Storing HV

Now that outdoor season is almost over in my area, I need to store my HV's over the winter. How should I go about doing it ? I won't be using the batts until April next year, so do I need to cycle them every two weeks or so? Or can I just leave them partially charged for several months? Maybe I will sell the batts and buy some new ones next year , rather than wasting them. Thanks

Henry
Old 09-07-2002, 04:48 PM
Tech Elite

I have some Sanyo 3000HV Corallys which are acting kinda wierd. My normal routine is to charge at 4.5 amp with 10mv cutoff run the cells, discharge at 20amp and put on the Trinity realtime until the lights go out. Store empty.

Anyhow recently one of my packs has been false peaking a ton. At around 1/3 of the way thru the charge it stops, if I restart it it completes. However it does not seem to take a full charge. The cells get quite warm but my Indi 16x5 indicates only about 2800-2900mah getting into the packs. Also when it is discharging it only gets around 2400-2600mah out of the pack. The pack is equalised. I get decent runtime, around 460-480 seconds and the discharge average voltage is around 6.66 mostly. Should I be concerned that it is not getting the full mah???

Lastly when charging it will be progressing at around 8.8 volts nicely, then suddenly drop down to 8.3 volts for about 10 seconds and shoot back up to where it was.

Can anyone shed some light on this??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.