R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-05-2002, 10:56 PM   #346
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to ZER01

Wacky, are the battery bars touching the cells? Meaning, is the bars flat on top of each cell or is there a gap between them when looking at them from the side?
ZER01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2002, 12:22 AM   #347
Tech Apprentice

Thanks Proudwinner:

Flat on the top of each cell ...... its on the positive side.
wacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2002, 02:23 AM   #348
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to ZER01

Okay Wacky, the battery bars that are soldered onto the positive tabs of each battery should not be touching it's OWN cell. If they do, they will "short" out that particular cell. That's why they make bars that are bent. Keep this in mind, the outside of a battery is negative and the positive is a core that runs through the middle of it. That pack is probally ruined by now. Next time make sure there is space between the bars and the batteries.
ZER01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2002, 07:54 AM   #349
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Well, I just made my first leap into the world of NiMH batteries. I decided to start with the 3000HV batteries.

Nothing fancy though. Just some middle of the road matched packs. I hope I'm happy with these things. I was very happy with the performance of the latest matched 2400 packs. I just wanted to give the new 3000HV cells a try and see how I like them.
Old 02-06-2002, 09:49 AM   #350
Tech Adept

Send a message via ICQ to ALFRED

hey guys, just a couple of questions. im still debating if i should get hv's or smh batteries. whats the difference? we're just running stock at our track so any info about these two types of batteries would be very much appreciated. thanks! emailing would be better.
ALFRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2002, 12:39 PM   #351
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Alfred... Boy you just asked one of the biggest questions. Be prepared to get all kinds of responces. It seems about 50/50 right now on what cell is best for stock. I have both and I prefer HV's. But you will hear that one cell is junk and the other one is great and the next guy will say just the oposite. I recomend that you buy a comperable pack of each and test for yourself. Also read the 3000 batt thread it has a lot of good info.
ottoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2002, 04:36 PM   #352
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

ALFRED: ottoman is right. Your going to hear all kinds of crazy stuff. Here is a rule of thumb though. Ignore anyone who says that they own one type and the other type sucks. Because, basically their full of $#!^.

You really can't go wrong with either that you get. I went with 3000HV because I have always had Sanyo cells, so why switch now?

Basically, I say start with what you want to spend on them, then go from there. Find the best pack of either of them you can, for the money you have to spend. Simple huh?

Good luck.
Old 02-06-2002, 05:42 PM   #353

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

I have a pack of HV's and three of SMH, and I can definately say that the SMH feel better for mod. Even though the numbers are far worse (1.123 av vs. 1.153 av) For stock, I have yet to try the SMH, but from what I have heard, the HV's are better.

For stock I don't think you can go wrong either way. Besides, both cells look damn cool

Speedo
Speedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2002, 06:05 PM   #354

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

So, now that you guys have had them for a while, how are they holding up? Do they have the on-track performance drop-off like other NiMH after about 30 cycles?
MarkA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2002, 06:13 PM   #355
Tech Regular

From an uneducated and inexperienced.

I'm also on the market for better cells to race right now.

I only have used Duratrax 1500 packs (cheap sanyo cells), Radio Shack 3000 packs (generic brand, made in China), and Team orion 3000H cell packs (sanyo).

My experience with sanyo NiMH cells so far is satisfactory to say the least.
I barely touch NiCD packs. (I guess mostly because of the run time and reusability in a day). I only use NiCD packs to practice at the parking lot.

I'm going to try sanyo 3000HV cells.

I thought about Sanyo RC2400 cells (for being the punchiest - many people claim and proven in the race), Panasonic 3000 SMH (for being first and staying competitive enough in the race so far), Sanyo 3000HV cells (for lots of great recommendation, review, test result, etc...)

First I wanted to go for RC2400 then my experience with NiCD cells really made me look at NiMH for being pretty maintenance free and being reusable many times in a same day.

Maybe I'm gonna buy 6 RC2400 cells to try it in the race once I gain enough skill to be competitive in the race just for the heat.

Second, Panasonic 3000NiMH. Simply my cheap charger (MRC super brain 959) can't handle the sensitivness of the cells I'm afraid. (low peak voltage drop)

Third, Sanyo 3000HV. I used 3000H cells for 2 weeks now. I really love them already. Pretty much maintenance free (less recycling required). I recharged and used as many as 10 times a day. I didn't detect any decrease in performance.
My charger peaks them pretty well (I charge them at 3.0 ~4.5A, 10mV). They are very solid and consistant eventhough I can't say that they're punchier than NiCD cells. I'm very satisfied for now. I think 3000HV would cure 'less puchier' part of the problem.

Power stays almost same till the pack's dumped while NiCD cells show decreasing power curve as it's discharged.
It won't matter much if you can find right gear ratio for the race to extract the best out of them though. But anyways less worry involved for people like me (carefree).

Thanks for reading blah, blah,...
Just wanted to share uneducated opinion since I'm also on the market. (I have a feeling that I already said this.)

Anyway, I'm going to at lease try out 3000HV cells, since millions people recommend them.

rcruv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2002, 07:38 PM   #356
Joe
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by rcruv

Second, Panasonic 3000NiMH. Simply my cheap charger (MRC super brain 959) can't handle the sensitivness of the cells I'm afraid. (low peak voltage drop)
I use a MRC 959 on my HV's and it seems to work just fine. Just set it to 40Mv and 4.5 A.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2002, 11:27 PM   #357
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by rcruv
From an uneducated and inexperienced.

I'm also on the market for better cells to race right now.

I only have used Duratrax 1500 packs (cheap sanyo cells), Radio Shack 3000 packs (generic brand, made in China), and Team orion 3000H cell packs (sanyo).

My experience with sanyo NiMH cells so far is satisfactory to say the least.
I barely touch NiCD packs. (I guess mostly because of the run time and reusability in a day). I only use NiCD packs to practice at the parking lot.

I'm going to try sanyo 3000HV cells.

I thought about Sanyo RC2400 cells (for being the punchiest - many people claim and proven in the race), Panasonic 3000 SMH (for being first and staying competitive enough in the race so far), Sanyo 3000HV cells (for lots of great recommendation, review, test result, etc...)

First I wanted to go for RC2400 then my experience with NiCD cells really made me look at NiMH for being pretty maintenance free and being reusable many times in a same day.

Maybe I'm gonna buy 6 RC2400 cells to try it in the race once I gain enough skill to be competitive in the race just for the heat.

Third, Sanyo 3000HV. I used 3000H cells for 2 weeks now. I really love them already. Pretty much maintenance free (less recycling required). I recharged and used as many as 10 times a day. I didn't detect any decrease in performance.
My charger peaks them pretty well (I charge them at 3.0 ~4.5A, 10mV). They are very solid and consistant eventhough I can't say that they're punchier than NiCD cells. I'm very satisfied for now. I think 3000HV would cure 'less puchier' part of the problem.

Power stays almost same till the pack's dumped while NiCD cells show decreasing power curve as it's discharged.
It won't matter much if you can find right gear ratio for the race to extract the best out of them though. But anyways less worry involved for people like me (carefree).

Thanks for reading blah, blah,...
Just wanted to share uneducated opinion since I'm also on the market. (I have a feeling that I already said this.)

Anyway, I'm going to at lease try out 3000HV cells, since millions people recommend them.

you can adjust the delta peak voltage on your super brain~
Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2002, 01:58 PM   #358
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to Koya Dale.com

Danny: does HV's get a lower mAh reading compared to the older sanyo's, my new pack only got up to 2987 but i havent tried it with the .07 threshold yet, mine was set on .04
Koya Dale.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2002, 03:04 PM   #359
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

A true 3000 mAh needs to equal 360 seconds at 30 amp discharge. Most of the HV's true runtime are in the 345-360 range so getting 3000 mAh out of them is already pusing the limit.

A charger will base the mAh rating by how long it took to charge a pack. A pack with high IR will take more time to charge than a pack with lower IR because the charger has a tougher time charging a high IR cell.

So in some cases a higher capacity pack or cell with low IR will charge faster than a lower capacity pack or cell with higher IR.

The only true way to get a mAh rating is by a using a constant discharge.

Hope this helps.
Danny/SMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2002, 08:51 PM   #360
Tech Fanatic

Thats great to hear, because I was getting the same sort of figures that Koya Dale.com did, and I was thinking my cells were toast!!
That makes me feel a whole lot better.
rccarracer is offline   Reply With Quote