R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-02-2001, 06:40 AM   #166
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Joehwee: I would set my peak detect at .07.

If you have been using a tray on your packs it's normal to lose capacity. 2500 mAh isn't to bad considering most RC3000H were 2650 - 2900 mAh.

mike webb: Relative IR has nothing to do with cell performance. The only reason why the Sanyo HV's have a higher R-IR is because of it's construction so they have a higher peak voltage which tricks the R-IR.
Danny/SMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2001, 01:06 PM   #167
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to mike_Webb

Danny- What are normal Mah for the SMH cells... I usually peak out at about 2900-3100mah

Mike Webb
mike_Webb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2001, 06:55 AM   #168
Tech Adept

Send a message via ICQ to melvin
Default Battery

The problem is with your Eagle CD charger. I have good success with my LRP mircro charger and my 3000 mah cells are still giving 2900 min anytime after using them for play and race for almost 9 months now.

Quote:
Originally posted by Joehwee
Danny: Do you think you can tell me what is the right peak detection for RC3000H charging on my Eagle CDC charger? I seem to have probelm with those RC3000 as most of my pack capacity had drop to about 2500mah, those pack are only about 4-5 months old and only be use for racing. Any advise.
melvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2001, 09:25 PM   #169
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Melvin: Stop Dreaming
Joehwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2001, 04:36 PM   #170
Company Representative

mike webb: It's hard to judge mAh by what the charger is telling you.

If you take to packs with 360 seconds @ 30 amps which equals 3000 mAh. The pack with the lower internal resistance in milliohms will take less time to charge so your charger will give a lower mAh reading. The only true way to get a mAh reading is to do a constant load discharge.

This is why I never pay attention to what my Pitbull is giving for mAh.
Old 11-04-2001, 11:19 PM   #171
Tech Regular

Danny,
That is SOOOOO true! All of the chargers provide a MAH rating during charge, but this is NOTHING more than a calculated value based on charge time and current......provides NO information about the battery at all.

Unfortunately, people are trying to infer how good/poor a battery is in relation to the MAH info provided by the various chargers during charging. As you stated, MAH rating needs to be given during a discharge cycle....when the battery is under a load and working.

I have been trying to dispell this myth for quite some time.
acloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2001, 07:49 AM   #172
Company Representative

Hopefuly people will read this info and pass it on next time they hear someone talk about how much mAh a pack took to charge.
Old 11-05-2001, 08:13 AM   #173
dtm
Tech Champion

Send a message via ICQ to dtm

On this point... does the difference between the charge and discharge capacity mean anything? I have a pack of SMH which charges to 308xmah and discharges at 298xmah. This is an extremely low difference compared to my other packs of SMH!
dtm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2001, 10:47 AM   #174
Tech Adept

Danny:

Hi, glad you found this forum. I race in Grand Rapids Mi with Terry Rot, Chuck Lonergan, Jason Exelby. we mostly run stock sedan/foams on a 40x70 track. I do know that Jason is running only your cells (2400) and Chuck is running some too. I have watched Jason run your new 3000HV's after the race and go faster with them than he did in the main. I really dont get to race all that much as my work load is way to much for me to spend any time to try to get serious at it.
for the guys who say the Sanyo 3000HV's are flat..... the AMB doesn't lie. in traffic after the mains Jason went just as fast as Chuck did in the main. ( Jason was a lap down on the computer not the track in the main). all Jason's dad did was charge up a pack of 300HV's clean off the car and check ride height and camber. put the cells in and turned Jason looose on the track. I was wacthing him all day as I haven't seen Jason run at all this summer and this was his 2nd race day on carpet. after the 5 minutes were up he ran the same laps as Chuck did. with more traffic on the track.
I do know that Jason's dad is looking for some of your cells for a big race that's coming up soon.
I have raced with some SMH cells (not mine) and can't wait to try some of the new 3000HV cells (maybe Jason will let me try them after the big race).

I think from what I have seen the new 3000hv's work just as good if not better in stock sedan/foam than the SMH cells and seem stronger at the end of the run (5 minutes).

You had said something about traying 3000's. is this for the older cells??? and do you tray them until they are totaly discharged????
I am running Jason's 3000's from last year and I am somewhat new to the non NiCad cells. so any unfo about these cells would help.

Thanks
Fakk2

Last edited by Fakk2; 11-08-2001 at 10:50 AM.
Fakk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2001, 10:55 AM   #175
Company Representative

fakk2: Gald to hear that they work great in stock sedan. It's also good to hear that what I have mentioned about this cell is the truth. Some people said that I had an interest in making sure this cell would be popular but that wasn't/isn't true. I just say it as I see it.

As far as traying goes it will reduce some runtime but will increase voltage. On the old cells I would tray for sure because they would lose voltage if not trayed. The new cell won't lose it's voltage but can gain some if trayed.
Old 11-08-2001, 06:42 PM   #176
Tech Addict

Send a message via ICQ to SirSpeedy Send a message via AIM to SirSpeedy Send a message via Yahoo to SirSpeedy

Danny-

Did you ever give any more thought to producing some inexpensive trays? I remeber talking to you about it a while back....just wondering......
Old 11-08-2001, 07:13 PM   #177
Tech Initiate

what are better the 3000 panasonics or the 3000 sanyos
Gump0220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2001, 07:19 PM   #178

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Danny seems pretty confident that the new sanyo HV's are better. They are also cheaper
Speedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2001, 08:55 AM   #179
Company Representative

sirspeedy: Were still working on that project. I'm testing various things. Originally I wanted to make one that only had resistors but lately I've been messing around with diode trays and they seem to be better.

Hopefully we will have one in the near future.

Gump0220: The SMH's and HV's are both great cells but so far the HV's are a bit better. They run real well and can be charged at different amp rates to get different performance and they seem to finish stronger at the end of the races.
Old 11-09-2001, 09:24 AM   #180
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Danny, I have a "generic" question and then a "non-standard battery" question

My generic question -- I've always reshrinkwrapped cells before building them, keeps them cleaner as in I redo them when they start to get worn looking and the labels are still nice looking. Someone told me that doing this will cause the cells to contain more heat and is bad for them ....fact or fiction?

Non standard batter question (2 parter) -- I've picked up one of these Micro's and a Team Orion 1100 MAH 5 cell pack for it, the little paper said to charge at 1 amp but nothing about cutoff, I set my cutoff at .04 (like the HV's) only took about 40 minutes to charge, which may be because the bats had some charge already? Anyhow question part 1 - any idea on what to use for a cutoff? Part 2 whould I be discharging this pack after a days run? Someone mentioned they read somewhere that you should discharge them with 1 2 amp bulb.
HarshGuy is offline   Reply With Quote