R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-30-2009, 06:28 AM   #1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default New to electric, what do i need ?

looking at getting into electric onroad.
havent baught anything as yet, but would like to know a bit more about the Speedies, like which one, and motors. looking at 17.5 and 10.5 brushless.
AARCMCC have some approved motors and Li-Po , and these can only be used.

so id like to know what is working well, and bullet proof (as good as can be) . thanks in advance.
Serpent 811-TE REDs R5T
Pattojnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 06:39 AM   #2
Tech Regular

Default speed controls/motors

I have the LRP and Speed passion sc with no trouble from either,punch would go to my spx,I have a Novak,Speedpassion,Team wave and Fantom Ion,with the fantom the strongest,I* beleive the Fantom is a duo base,great motor!!I have 3 freinds with the ballistic from Novak that have had problems,they quit,I was using one at our ROAR region race this year and it quit,and not from heat 130deg.half through qualif when it quit,it was very quick.
tino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 06:48 AM   #3
Tech Elite

here is a link to the approved motors.
maybe it will be easier to choose whats good from this list.
thanks.

http://www.aarcmcc.org/docs/BL%20Spe...rs%20Jan09.pdf
Serpent 811-TE REDs R5T
Old 12-30-2009, 08:17 AM   #4
Tech Champion

I have used my tekin redline 13.5 from February, without a fault

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 08:59 AM   #5
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

When does the 2010 list come out? Reason I ask is because you may want to wait and see what will be approved for 2010 as some of the motors on the list are obsolete. For example, LRP just released the new X-12 motors that are much improved over the X-11.
bfong13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 09:20 AM   #6
Tech Elite

People are a bit confused, our OP friend is from Australia, so the approved list of motors may not be relevant to the US.

But I thought you were after speedy advice not motors?

Most of the people around WA are using LRP or SP, so I suppose there's a good host of knowledge about that. If you ask the same question in the Australian forum you might get people like Mok, jrx-s and others to chime in.

LRP have stock dedicated ESCs and some people tend to think these have some good profiles for stock.

For superstock/mod I don't think it makes any difference.

There is however a difficult comparison to make to timing-variable ESCs such as the Tekin offerings (and there are others on the market and there's more coming). These are infinitely tuneable, and you can define your own profile according to motor used, track, personal taste, etc. Of course, the price of freedom is some time spent on setup. of late however these speedies have come of age and there's plenty of info to help you.

Personally I run a Tekin system on road and am very happy with it.

The best upgrade to any car is some driver skill.

Last edited by niznai; 12-30-2009 at 10:25 AM.
niznai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 10:01 AM   #7
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Most guys at the track run either lrp or tekin speedis here
some of us run the kopropo
all great speedies jus depends how much you wanna get involved in set up
if you jus want set n forget go the lrp
if you like too fiddle wilt the set up too fine tune too your set up go either tekin or ko
tho prefer the ko myself as it has brakes unlike the tekin (from what I've seen) most tekins use the back of other cars too slow down lol

as for motors most ppl are running the fantom duo or the duo 2 seems popular too
ASSociated RC12L4
T.O.P PHOTON EX & Tamiya M05 - currently undergoing rigorous crash testing!
paraletic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 10:07 AM   #8
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfong13 View Post
When does the 2010 list come out? Reason I ask is because you may want to wait and see what will be approved for 2010 as some of the motors on the list are obsolete. For example, LRP just released the new X-12 motors that are much improved over the X-11.
this is the main reason why i havent purchased anything as yet. i am waiting to see if the list gets updated as there will be a big race in a few weeks. but wether the list gets updated ?? i was actually looking at the X-12 line.

Niznai.... i asked for Speedy advice as well as motor advice.
a speedy looks to me like the biggest factor, and expense, so im just trying to get it right the first time. motors arent as dear, so im not as fussed with the motors as yet. but some experiences with different motors would be apreciated. as Tino pointed out, i know some Nitro motors go hell fast then bang. so id like to have a good experience early on so i can work on the car setup rather than trying to get things to work with out pullling what hair i have left thanks for the input so far guys.
so at the moment, things are looking like LRP for motor choice, and possibly SpeedPassion for ESC , for ease of use. chassis still undecided, but looking towards Xray T2.
Serpent 811-TE REDs R5T
Old 12-30-2009, 10:10 AM   #9
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by paraletic View Post
Most guys at the track run either lrp or tekin speedis here
some of us run the kopropo
all great speedies jus depends how much you wanna get involved in set up
if you jus want set n forget go the lrp
if you like too fiddle wilt the set up too fine tune too your set up go either tekin or ko
tho prefer the ko myself as it has brakes unlike the tekin (from what I've seen) most tekins use the back of other cars too slow down lol

as for motors most ppl are running the fantom duo or the duo 2 seems popular too
so if i go tekin........ upgrade front bumper to ROO BAR ? or Nudge bar ? haha
Serpent 811-TE REDs R5T
Old 12-30-2009, 10:15 AM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to iPearl Send a message via MSN to iPearl

-Speed Passion Ease of use ^^ and have great punch just like most of the competition.
-Mamba Max Pro Is nice also, it can make motors scream. But from the looks people are complaining about it.
-Tekin Tiny Lots of features and support, its been around for a while and keep on getting updated, Just the software updates make this thing keep up with any new ESCs so they must have done something right with the hardware. (BUT HELLA expensive)
Old 12-30-2009, 10:36 AM   #11
Tech Elite

I have seen people complaining about the price of the Tekin ESC before, but I really don't understand why. Between the options we have here in Oz, this is one of the cheapest when pruchased overseas (in Oz I have heard of problems with distribution).

Back to motors, I have tried a 17.5 SP gen3 on a Tekin RSpro in an Xray T2008 and without any setup time for the electronics, just before the race it was way faster than anything else in stock. This was with a very conservative setup as I didn't want to risk a motor I knew nothing about or the speedy. To my surprise, the motor run without overheating for over 15 minutes continuously when the battery dumped, so my setup must have been pretty good. Keep in mind, we had people on the track who had run stock for a year so they probably had rather well developed setups.

In my experience brakes are a matter of proper setup. I have experienced this problem but a calibration of the ESC solved it. Turned out I had not done the calibration when I first set up the ESC. I have never had any problems with it since and I can lock the wheels on brake.

As for bulletproof I am not sure, but I have been trying for some time now to overheat a Hacker 17.5 motor and it didn't happen yet. I have a pinion larger than half the spur and still no heat issues. It is probably the most torquey motor I have seen.

The best upgrade to any car is some driver skill.
niznai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 12:37 PM   #12
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPearl View Post
Tekin Tiny Lots of features and support, its been around for a while and keep on getting updated, Just the software updates make this thing keep up with any new ESCs so they must have done something right with the hardware. (BUT HELLA expensive)
The RS is $159 at Stormer.
CarbonJoe is offline   Reply With Quote