R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-24-2010, 12:03 AM   #46
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToysRUsKid View Post
you got a part number for those springs? I want to make sure I get the right set.
HPI87320 HPI Shock Spring Set (Hard) (6)
ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 05:23 AM   #47
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to ToysRUsKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben73 View Post
HPI87320 HPI Shock Spring Set (Hard) (6)
thanks.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:08 AM   #48
Tech Regular

Had my first run with the link car and was disappointed did eveything that was suggested and the car was twitchy tried different tires but the car just didn't feel the same as my Tbar car. I will keep working on the car for the next couple of weeks we have left and hope it work out.
Ramyuras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 08:17 AM   #49
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramyuras View Post
Had my first run with the link car and was disappointed did eveything that was suggested and the car was twitchy tried different tires but the car just didn't feel the same as my Tbar car. I will keep working on the car for the next couple of weeks we have left and hope it work out.
I agree, the car is a little twitchy when driving compared to the t-bar car. I think it's mostly setup and understanding of that car that's needed to fix it. I can see from driving it even while "twitchy", it can be fast. I'm going to work on it some more. Maybe the way it handles has something to do with the way it mounts the servo (flat compared to angled). I'll probably order the tweak free servo plate to do a back to back comparison.

Hopefully we get more people working with the car. right now it seems like there are very few that drive it and not many posting.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:39 AM   #50
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I recently started running the new link car and yes i found it twitchy too. I was able to smooth the steering response somewhat by moving some upper hinge pin shims forward and reducing caster. Also, I'm running very little front camber and toe out. Ideal compounds for this car seem to be black front / gray rear although purple and pink will work, for our old Ozite track.

Hope this helps, it's all I have so far.
pcar951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 08:43 AM   #51
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to EAMotorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramyuras View Post
I will post my setup on Xray's website later for you to try. My car was one of the easiest I have ever driven at the snowbirds....to easy as a matter of fact. could have been better with a little more exit steering.

EA
EAMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 08:47 AM   #52
Tech Initiate

Can we see some rtr pictures off the new car ?
jmellipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 10:26 AM   #53
Tech Regular

Thanks guys.
Ramyuras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 11:43 AM   #54
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I also drove the car for the first time this weekend at a high traction carpet track, running 13.5. I found the car to be very twitchy as well. I ran Paul L. snowbirds setup and started experimenting with shock spring, ended up with Associated Blue Spring, Lilac fronts, and Pink rears. I also used -10 steering expo which helped alittle but still was very twitchy.
Brian John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 12:01 PM   #55
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian John View Post
I also drove the car for the first time this weekend at a high traction carpet track, running 13.5. I found the car to be very twitchy as well. I ran Paul L. snowbirds setup and started experimenting with shock spring, ended up with Associated Blue Spring, Lilac fronts, and Pink rears. I also used -10 steering expo which helped alittle but still was very twitchy.
I ran Lilac fronts and pink rears also and it was still twitching but probably a little more setup attention would have fixed it. I tried Orange rear tires but the car would spin out a lot and the tires wore faster inside than outside.

I'll try the Assoc blue springs next time i run the car in maybe 2-3 weeks. Hopefully we can keep this going so we can work out the setup troubles together. I'm running on Ozite carpet also with Jack the Gripper traction compound.

I'm moving to Ohio soon and will most likely be running at Tri-State Hobbies. I'm still waiting for someone on that board to say what tires they run on 12th scale there.
Old 03-02-2010, 12:07 PM   #56
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmellipse View Post
Can we see some rtr pictures off the new car ?
I'll take a picture when I get home and post it. most likely it will change because i think the wires are touching the body and causing a little tweak.
Old 03-02-2010, 01:57 PM   #57
Team EAM

Quote:
Are you running the Xray center shock? I still think that even with the HB springs some guys are trying its going to make the car drive weird. I think the smaller hot bodies shock is going to be better until Xray gets their center spring set made with the correct weights.

EA
Old 03-02-2010, 03:04 PM   #58
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAMotorsports View Post
Are you running the Xray center shock? I still think that even with the HB springs some guys are trying its going to make the car drive weird. I think the smaller hot bodies shock is going to be better until Xray gets their center spring set made with the correct weights.

EA
Hi EA, I was indeed running the HB Shock with the Associated Spring. Someone suggested I cut the shaft down, because the pod had alot of movement when it was lifted off the ground. Any help you can give is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Brian
Old 03-02-2010, 04:15 PM   #59
Team EAM

Quote:
Hi EA, I was indeed running the HB Shock with the Associated Spring. Someone suggested I cut the shaft down, because the pod had alot of movement when it was lifted off the ground. Any help you can give is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Brian
Hey Brian,

Yes if you are running the Hot bodies shock you will have to cut the shaft down. It will make the car undriveable with it full length. The pod will have probably 5-6mm of up travel. I ran .5mm up travel at the birds. The more up travel you have the more off power steering it will have and be very pushing on power and twitchy. I will measure my overall shock length tonight and post.

EA
Old 03-02-2010, 05:27 PM   #60
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAMotorsports View Post
Hey Brian,

Yes if you are running the Hot bodies shock you will have to cut the shaft down. It will make the car undriveable with it full length. The pod will have probably 5-6mm of up travel. I ran .5mm up travel at the birds. The more up travel you have the more off power steering it will have and be very pushing on power and twitchy. I will measure my overall shock length tonight and post.

EA
I measured the total length of the shock (71.08mm) as shown in the picture. How are you measuring up travel. I measured it by taking the pod ride height (at full rest 3.5mm) then lifting the top of the pod up right before the tires came off the ground and measured the pod height again (6.1mm) so I guess I had 2.6mm of droop.
Attached Thumbnails
XRAY XII LINK-img_0073.jpg