R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-26-2009, 03:51 PM   #16
Tech Adept

Send a message via Yahoo to JSeay

I think the most important thing that has been said is not necessarily what car to purchase but what your local hobby stores can support. Waiting for the slow boat from China does not make for a fun time with your hobby when your have a broken suspension part.

I would start with a survey of the manufactures that the local hobby stores carry and that will help you to narrow down your choices somewhat. Not all hobby stores can or are willing to carry full lines of parts for every car that a company makes, or from different manufactures.

If you are planning on stock driving\drifting and are looking at the TA05 you may also want to look at the TB03, it is Tamiya's latest shaft driven on-road and may be better suited to what you are thinking about doing.
JSeay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 04:29 PM   #17
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

For around the $200 price range a good condition corally rdx phi 08 edition can be found. In my opinion the 08 phi is far better the new one! But if you're really wanting to get a new kit the cyclone s can't be beat for the price! If you can come up with another $75 you can always go the xray t2r pro new from nexus. But at that price range with a little looking you can find a good condition xray t2 009. I'd take a used t2 009 In good shape over a new t2r pro though anyday, but the t2r pro is a great car!
AndysD8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 06:53 PM   #18
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeay View Post
I think the most important thing that has been said is not necessarily what car to purchase but what your local hobby stores can support. Waiting for the slow boat from China does not make for a fun time with your hobby when your have a broken suspension part.

I would start with a survey of the manufactures that the local hobby stores carry and that will help you to narrow down your choices somewhat. Not all hobby stores can or are willing to carry full lines of parts for every car that a company makes, or from different manufactures.

If you are planning on stock driving\drifting and are looking at the TA05 you may also want to look at the TB03, it is Tamiya's latest shaft driven on-road and may be better suited to what you are thinking about doing.
All that is good info, but doesn't always work in the real world. Not all shops will admit straight out that they don't carry a full range of spares and that some of those they don't, have to come from wherever and that takes time. One way I found was a good check is to get a complete list of parts for the car I intend to purchase and ask the shop if they have on the shelf the parts I think I might need in the future. If any of these are missing, I know I can not rely on the shop to get them in a hurry.

The best upgrade to any car is some driver skill.
niznai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 07:01 PM   #19
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by winner View Post
hey guys, i need help finding a decent car to race in a road course, maybe even some drifting. i really dont want to spend more then $200 on it. i was looking towards buying a tt-01 but one of my friends said they wernt very good for road courses. so now im looking at the ta-05 and maybe a tc4 any help or advice is greatly appricaited
if you have a local track near by go check out whats be drivin, do some internet research and if ya can drive someone elses car to see how you like it.............and no need for a golf ball, just get 2.4 radio or rubber duck " short rubber antenas"
Old 12-26-2009, 08:03 PM   #20
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by niznai View Post
All that is good info, but doesn't always work in the real world. Not all shops will admit straight out that they don't carry a full range of spares and that some of those they don't, have to come from wherever and that takes time. One way I found was a good check is to get a complete list of parts for the car I intend to purchase and ask the shop if they have on the shelf the parts I think I might need in the future. If any of these are missing, I know I can not rely on the shop to get them in a hurry.
already thought about that, between the two lhs around me hobbytown (i call it ripoff town), and some other store i cant think of right now has just about every name brand out there

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive2survive View Post
if you have a local track near by go check out whats be drivin, do some internet research and if ya can drive someone elses car to see how you like it.............and no need for a golf ball, just get 2.4 radio or rubber duck " short rubber antenas"
lol the nearest track i believe is the peach bowl, but im not really sure whats going on in that place, i heard someone else bought it then there website went down, but i hear people are still racing up there, however, its like 2 hours from my house and im 14 and cant drive yet. its even worse considering my parents hate rc's and it takes days to talk them into taking me any place rc related
winner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 08:38 PM   #21
Tech Adept

Send a message via Yahoo to JSeay

Quote:
Originally Posted by niznai View Post
I agree that no shop will ever admit that. Conversely, if you are new to this you may not know what spares you need, at least initially. A perusal of this forum and others will show countless what is the best car threads, with many of the same things that have been and will be recommended in this thread will bring out again.

Not to argue your point as your idea is also well thought out, and we are both recommending the same thing, you are in my opinion simply providing more poignant direction on how to do this where I did not.

What this forum really needs is a thread that is pinned to the top of the boards that gives recommendations on not only car types, but how to purchase a new car and what things to look for in terms of spares needed etc..
JSeay is offline   Reply With Quote