Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Closed Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 09:33 AM   #76
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by abailey21 View Post
Hence the reason only unopened packages of tires are allowed to be teched
Do you not get it? He's refering to the 8.41v battery and your banned comment you made earlier.
Old 12-22-2009, 09:40 AM   #77
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bboard View Post
BTW unless you are teching in the pits how are you enforcing saftey? If a persons charger runs a battery up over 8.40, and they then discharge it to your limit, is there still not a risk of that dreaded lipo fire that your so afraid of? A lipo doesnt just spontaniastly combust, first it heats up then it swells all the time giving you a chance to unplug it and run it outside.

Most indoor facilities require LiPo bags, doesn't this solve the lipo fire problem?
well then they are going to have to do roar approved chargers as well! then you are going to have those teched also

I cannot for the life of me belive that this rule was changed for saftey. I have never had damage to a pack because it overgarged to 8.44. And I have been using lipos in my planes before roar even knew we used them.
Old 12-22-2009, 09:41 AM   #78
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

bboard, if you think I'm posting on here because I'm trying to sell chargers you are mistaken. I'm posting in here because i'll be the Roar tech official at all 3 electric races in 2010

In the drivers meeting it will be said if you are allowed to turn your radio's on in the pits or not.

Roar has officials roaming the event to see if anyone is breaking the rules

NO - just because you have a LiPo sack does not mean your 100% free of fire in your pits, I have watched 90% of all LiPo sacks on the market fail.

Sorry if I took Cpt. America's comment more literally then sarcastic, I didn't mean to offend you bboard.

Rules are in place for safety bboard, not "the dreaded lipo fire" but the overall safety of the event.
Old 12-22-2009, 09:57 AM   #79
Tech Master

Quote:
If a person spent good money to come to an event and at the end of the day is not following the rules I have zero sympathy for them. .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt.America View Post
"sorry, the tires you opened out of the package are .0001 milimiters too wide, you are DQ'd and banned from the event.... Sorry you wasted $1000 with car rental fees, gas, hotel fees for a week, and a week off work, but rules are rules!".
this thread speaks great volume of how roar treats and respects the particapants that come to there big events, I understand the area of rules and cheating, but saying you feel zero sympathy for someone who comes with a charger and it charges over, so you send them home, WTF happend to this hobby, and you guys wonder why there are fights everywhere over scale rc cars.

I mean you guys need to get your nose out of the rule book and take a HUGE step back and look at the bigger picture here. Look at what you are doing to it, are you REALLY making things any better, seriously?
Old 12-22-2009, 10:03 AM   #80
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by interplanet View Post
this thread speaks great volume of how roar treats and respects the particapants that come to there big events, I understand the area of rules and cheating, but saying you feel zero sympathy for someone who comes with a charger and it charges over, so you send them home, WTF happend to this hobby, and you guys wonder why there are fights everywhere over scale rc cars.

I mean you guys need to get your nose out of the rule book and take a HUGE step back and look at the bigger picture here. Look at what you are doing to it, are you REALLY making things any better, seriously?
Exactly... Don't get me wrong, I tend to be a stickler for the rules... but the way Bailey speaks in this thread will keep me far far away from any official ROAR race. The rule of 8.4 with no variance is just fine... its the authoritarian, all-mighty, don't cross me or ill ban you from the event, kind of attitude that is a major turn off.
- RCSpecialties -

Last edited by Cpt.America; 12-22-2009 at 10:54 AM.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:04 AM   #81
Tech Master

Quote:
Exactly... Don't get me wrong, I tend to be a stickler for the rules... but the way Bailey speaks in this thread will keep me far far away from any official ROAR race. The rule of 8.4 with no variance is just fine... its the authoritarian, all-mighty, don't cross me or ill ban you from the even, kind of attitude that is a major turn off.
Bingo
Old 12-22-2009, 10:13 AM   #82
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by interplanet View Post

I'm pretty sure you took that way out of context. The charger has NOTHING to do with it. I have tools available to ensure that your batteries are within the 8.40 maximum allowance, if you as the racer decides NOT you utilize them, and you as the racer intentionally heats your batteries, and you as the racer intentionally over charges you battery packs I have no sympathy for that. I have no sympathy for the intentionally unsafe racer.

If you buy a charger from your LHS and it over charges your pack, lets say 8.41V it is just YOUR responsibility to make sure that voltage is no higher than 8.40V when it comes to tech, all while following the rules.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:21 AM   #83
Tech Legend

Gag !

If your battery is over the limit your not banned , you just don't pass tech till you discharge the pack to spec...

Its a good rule change ....

good for the sport & safety

No way does it stop anyone from enjoying a Roar event...
Old 12-22-2009, 10:22 AM   #84
Tech Master

Quote:
if you as the racer decides NOT you utilize them, and you as the racer intentionally heats your batteries, and you as the racer intentionally over charges you battery packs I have no sympathy for that. I have no sympathy for the intentionally unsafe racer.
the use of the word intentionally makes everyone else feel like if they are out of the rules for any reason whatsoever, it was intentional.

you have zero tolerence for mistakes or dont belive people make them.

I think thats the point that is being made here.

And Adam made his point before that if it is his choice you would be banned from the event.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:23 AM   #85
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 198 (100%+)

Quote:
1fastdude, you seem to be spearheading this "campaign" so tell me something...

I want you to prove to me in your next post EXACTLY what advantage your vehicle has by charging to 8.44V over 8.40V. How exactly and in exact detail does that give you an advantage? I would like to see specifics please.
If you think all chargers stop right at 8.4V your sadly mistaken. I remember at the 2008 carpet nats in Omaha I purchased a Core UDC-20 charger from the hobby shop there. I soon found out that this BRAND NEW OUT OF THE BOX charger was over charging by 8.45 volts my first time up to tech. The second time up to tech it was at 8.49V I had to go back to my Orion Advantage charger (better charger anyway) Had I not been at this race I would never had known this charger was bad out of the box and OVER CHARGING. It turns out I spend $6 to send it in to get another one doing the some other weird thing like not charging at all. So I send that one in never mind I no longer have this charger

back to the topic.... ROAR should have a tolerance with charging as there are to many variables with electronics. I saw put it to a vote. This has always been a problem for me with ROAR. People holding office making up rules that are not good ideas or something the racing community does not want. Nothing different from real politics I guess...

I am with you Eli on this one
Old 12-22-2009, 10:23 AM   #86
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 138 (100%+)

i like remote controller cars
Old 12-22-2009, 10:30 AM   #87
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 198 (100%+)

Quote:
The same battery is legal as last year, that's not different, for 1S I saw exactly one person at 4.21V all weekend, and the was one qual, every other racer was 4.20 or lower

We do sell chargers, and 3 of them over the past 2 years charged higher than 8.40V, they charge to 8.40V and are $99.99
There is no way I believe this statement. You are so arrogant to think that there is not a few hundred Core chargers overcharging by by .01 volt over the limit. Unless you are taking each one out of the package and testing them to make sure they work which I do not really think you all are.

Sounds like you have been reading to many science fiction books and rule books to understand the real world of chargers.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:30 AM   #88
Tech Champion

Quote:
authoritarian, all-mighty, don't cross me or ill ban you from the even, kind of attitude that is a major turn off.
This actually makes me laugh, you've obviously never met me at a race

I'm the furthest thing from authoritarian and all-mighty, and I have worked with multiple racers at events to make sure they are within the rules at every race I've worked and will continue to do nothing different at events.

racers are told to come up and check their voltage BEFORE they tech their cars, like I said earlier It's the first thing I pull out in the morning and the last thing to be put away at night. You can bring your battery up 30 times before you tech to make sure it's good, I actually encourage it so you can run all of your quals and mains.

And your not DQ'ed from the event if your over voltage, you do not run that specific qualifier.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:31 AM   #89
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

ROAR got it right with this one.

The damage done by slight overcharging is cumulative, and can eventually lead to a pack that's more prone to fire/damage. Also, people were using NiMH mode to "top off" their packs to 8.44v.

This is a no-brainer. Just like heating packs and charging at 1C. It's an easy fix, and any charger that's not broken should handle it just fine.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:37 AM   #90
Tech Champion

Kevin, yours is the charger I was talking about...

Other than yours, 2 other racers have contacted me with the same problem. So as far as I can see it was an isolated incident with 3 chargers?