R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Competition Electronics GFX Charger (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/35341-competition-electronics-gfx-charger.html)

Still Bill 03-08-2004 10:39 PM

Competition Electronics GFX Charger
 
I have had a couple weeks to play around with the charge and discharge functions of my new CE GFX charger.

To start, it has enabled me to increase my charge rate from 5A to 6A for stock racing batteries. Definitely like that!

Decided to use the Motor Mode feature to break-in and test a batch of four Monster Pro Stock motors. During the initial break-in at 2 Volts, I noted that 3 of the motors initially had a run current of about 7.5-7.6 amps which dropped to about 6.9-7.0 amps after two minutes of break-in time. Motor #4 runs about .3 amps higher that the other 3; but, it is labeled as having lower rpms and higher torque than the others.

Is there any important information to derive from this?

Would the lower amp draw motor be the best scenario...or worst?

Any additional thoughts about things to do with the GFX would be appreciated.

Speedo 03-08-2004 10:58 PM

Unless the amp draw is really high, or really, really low, then you can't really detect any differences in performance between motors using the amp draw feature, especially with differences that small.

TSR6 03-08-2004 11:09 PM


Originally posted by Speedo
Unless the amp draw is really high, or really, really low, then you can't really detect any differences in performance between motors using the amp draw feature, especially with differences that small.
The main thing i use the amp draw feature for is to see if i need to rebuild the motor. Fresh, my motors will draw between 7-9a depending on the motor and brush cut. I know that if it's drawing really low for that individual motor, that i need to cut it, or at least de-glaze the brushes.

Tres 03-09-2004 06:52 AM

TSR6 is 100% correct...

Also, if Amp draw is to high, is it sign that something is not right...

A lot of guys relate Amp draw to torque of the motor....

True, to create more torque you need more amps......
But, it is not a dyno....

In general I listen to the motor for RPM and look at the amp draw..

Each Brush/spring/motor combo will be a little different..

Another thing to do is feel the motor for vibration during break in...

STLNLST 03-09-2004 06:53 AM

XXX-S Bill- are you practicing in stockton on Friday? If so come and find me. I'll be more than happy to give you some help. Good luck this weekend and let's have some fun. ;)

Still Bill 03-09-2004 07:02 AM


Originally posted by STLNLST
XXX-S Bill- are you practicing in stockton on Friday? If so come and find me. I'll be more than happy to give you some help. Good luck this weekend and let's have some fun. ;)
Gotta work on Friday...Drat!

Still expecting Todd Hodge to show too. Gonna be a SHOW!

Be there on Sat-Sun.

Thanks.

STLNLST 03-09-2004 07:04 AM


Originally posted by XXX-S Bill
Gotta work on Friday...Drat!

Still expecting Todd Hodge to show too. Gonna be a SHOW!

Be there on Sat-Sun.

Thanks.

come find me when ever you have a chance. We'll get you squared away.

Still Bill 03-09-2004 09:56 PM

Thanks all. This has been really helpful.

STLNLST,

See you at Stockton...If I can figure out who you actually are...he, he...

Sure we will have plenty of time between rounds...more he, he...

Bill
Car #76

James Nguyen 03-09-2004 10:03 PM

HE is the one THEY call the 19t KING! Just ask anyone if they know who the 19t king is, they will point you in his direction. :lol:

TSR6 03-09-2004 10:17 PM


Originally posted by Tres
TSR6 is 100% correct...


For example:

Today before the main, I was debating on replacing brushes. It was the 3'rd run on the brushes, but I could only get them to pull about 7.1 - 7.2 amps through my T-35 after deglazing them with a fiberglass stick. I took them to a buddy who has a grinder to re-surface the brushes ( not a re-serrator ), after re-seating the brushes, they would still only draw about 7.4 amps. I still ran the brushes, but I definately had a lack of power. :weird:

Still Bill 03-09-2004 10:19 PM


Originally posted by James Nguyen
HE is the one THEY call the 19t KING! Just ask anyone if they know who the 19t king is, they will point you in his direction. :lol:
Ah ha!

Thanks James.

Still Bill 03-09-2004 10:22 PM


Originally posted by TSR6
For example:

Today before the main, I was debating on replacing brushes. It was the 3'rd run on the brushes, but I could only get them to pull about 7.1 - 7.2 amps through my T-35 after deglazing them with a fiberglass stick. I took them to a buddy who has a grinder to re-surface the brushes ( not a re-serrator ), after re-seating the brushes, they would still only draw about 7.4 amps. I still ran the brushes, but I definately had a lack of power. :weird:

Thanks TSR6. I appreciate the extra details.

What voltage are you running the motor at when getting these readings?

TSR6 03-09-2004 10:24 PM


Originally posted by XXX-S Bill
Thanks TSR6. I appreciate the extra details.

What voltage are you running the motor at when getting these readings?

2 volts.

This was a binary motor, with cut brushes. New with the cut I use, they should draw amperage in the low to mid 9's. :)

Still Bill 03-09-2004 10:33 PM


Originally posted by TSR6
2 volts.

This was a binary motor, with cut brushes. New with the cut I use, they should draw amperage in the low to mid 9's. :)

Hmmmm. Would the binary have significantly more torque than a Monster Pro? Checking because all my readings are in the 7's at 2 volts, I don't quite relate to drawing power in the 9 amp range.

TSR6 03-09-2004 10:41 PM


Originally posted by XXX-S Bill
Hmmmm. Would the binary have significantly more torque than a Monster Pro? Checking because all my readings are in the 7's at 2 volts, I don't quite relate to drawing power in the 9 amp range.
My monster stocks would usually draw mid to high 9 amps. My Binarys draw slightly less amperage than my monster motors did with the same brush cut.

I am running a pretty odd-ball setup on my motor for brushes and springs. Each motor, and each motor setup will have a different amp draw, so you just need to find your own base, and go from there. :)


All times are GMT -7. It is currently 06:36 AM.

Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.3.8
Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.