Community
Wiki Posts
Search

car data recorder

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2004, 03:45 PM
Tech Initiate

Default car data recorder

We all want more data from our cars, thats a given. But I found a car system data recorder while cruising the net, does anyone know how good the system works?

The manufacturer claims it records RPM, throttle (ESC) steering servo, and two temps (motor and batt) at 1-10 cycles per second, then you download it to a computer to replay your run with respect to these parameters.

Here is the link:

http://www.eagletreesystems.com/CarD...roductInfo.htm
Old 03-08-2004, 05:22 PM
Tech Elite

Yep I saw one at the track on saturday, completely over the top imo. I say focus less on gagets and minor detail and more on driving.
Old 03-08-2004, 06:02 PM
Tech Adept

Would be good to gauge the difference in driving styles from yourself to a more experienced driver.....
I know when i let one of the pro's drive my car at the track they usually knock about a second off my lap time, would be nice to see the difference in controlling the car..

I think its a little over the top too.. But I love gadgets!!
Old 03-09-2004, 09:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Thumbs up

while this instrument may or may not be over the top, it's role in our hobby should be clearly defined. it's role is to quantify some of the many parameters governing our cars performance. what the user does with these numbers is entirely up to that person.

depending on the intelligence and creativity of the user, the conclusions that can be drawn from the aquisition of this data can be made much more quickly than from numerous performance evaluations on the track. furthermore, it takes out the extraneous variable of the driver's repeatability. for those who don't drive well, the act of getting valid data from the track is a very long and painstaking process.

if interpreted correctly, the conclusions that are arrived at will likely mirror those who have done so with only lap times at their disposal. it is just a different method of getting to the same point. another benefit of this method is the scientific data backing your conclusions. due to the many reasons that account for why someone is successful at the track, it is nice to put scientific data to what you believe is one, or more, of them.

i can't tell you how many times i've have heard successful racers say something that absolutely contradicts the laws of physics. for those who don't recognize this, it is believed as truth simply because it is coming from someone with more skill.

this instument can offer an alternative method of gaining knowledge quickly for those up-and-comers who are being treated poorly by local fast guys who think they've worked too hard to just share their knowledge with whomever approaches them.

personally, i would like to play with one of these for a few months in an effort to get true motor rpm data on the track. one of the aspects to being a good motor tuner is to identify the most important operating range of the motor. and lets face it, no one plans on coming to a full stop at any time durring their run, nor does our motor reach a maximum rpm more than once on a any given lap for a typical track layout. - get the idea here? i just don't think i'll be able to trade that money for something more tangible any time soon.
Old 03-20-2004, 01:53 PM
Tech Elite

Just to say the the unit is now being exclusively imported into the UK by rc-direct.

It really is an incredibly clever piece of kit, there is now a G-force sensor, and Exhaust Gas sensor available. WAY beyond what has ever been logged in an RC car before.