R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-02-2010, 08:01 PM   #736
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Teacher View Post
kid TT-01, how wide are you running your car front and rear? Stock my car feels good but I do think with a more flexable chassis I would get more mechanical grip. I run on a parking lot track with med to low grip so the car is not as planted as I would like.

Has anyone tried this car on carpet? What are your thoughts...?
Teacher,

I to run on low-medium grip tracks as well. I definetly suggest narrowing the rear of the car. Im running the Narrow rear blocks, this settled the rear end alot then the kit blocks. Im also running the stiffer deck with 4 screws out.

In terms of carpet racing i ran the car almost kit form except for stiff deck and HPI Gold front Silver Rear springs. I managed to tie for 1st place in 17.5 at the ACT Indoor Carpet State Titles. The car was on rails that weekend.

Alex. .
Old 09-03-2010, 08:05 AM   #737
Tech Elite

Does anyone drift a Sakura Zero?

how is it?
Old 09-03-2010, 01:43 PM   #738
Tech Adept

Default uk hardcore

Hi yes ,one of our driver in malaysia have tested the sakura for drift but they did some modification on the pulley for counter steel purpose i saw the car drift super fast
why_pay_more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 01:17 AM   #739
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Had the first run with the newly blinged out car last night, previously car was eseentially kit, new parts tried include

Narrow lower deck
taller shock towers
narrow rear blcks
4mm rear hexes
dual diffs (kit oil in rear 300k in front)
new hard arms.
revised screwed layshaft pulley mounts

Initially i started off with 450 wt oil, and HPI blues, car felt pretty good but a little docile, i made a few changes, slightly shortening rear top link, went to HPI Silvers, and played with shock angle. Car ended up feeling pretty good, too good, started to traction roll. This is a high grip indoor treated track. I seem to be able to make any car TR. So some more changes needed to balance docile and TR.

Overall the car felt a lot more balanced to drive than before, left to right was more consistent, and the rear end had a lot more traction. Mid corner off power had a tendancy to have push.

The narrow chassis really transforms the visual appeal of the car IMO, it just looks super slick and clean. Im still not sure if i like the lipo reatiners (looks) though they do a good job of preventing the pack from moving around.

Looking forward to trying out more changes in setup, and giving it a go at some low grip outdoor tracks in the near future.
Old 09-04-2010, 03:19 AM   #740
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hi Besercoe

Did you try the narrow rear blocks with the 4mm hexes, did you have even more traction, and agreed the narrow chassis looks a lot better more slick.
Adelaide RC Team Mechanic
www.adelaiderc.com.au
12scale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 03:34 AM   #741
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12scale View Post
Hi Besercoe

Did you try the narrow rear blocks with the 4mm hexes, did you have even more traction, and agreed the narrow chassis looks a lot better more slick.
Yes i used both the narrow blocks and 4mm Hex in rear, i just checked and this shows the front (kit) at 188 and the rear at 187. I will have to check where this compares to my other chassis. But this is far better than the kit spec where the rear end is actually over max legal width.
IMO shorter arms would have been the correct solution, but the narrower blocks are a good start.

Like i said, this was really high traction, but the car felt quite balanced given its first runs, looking forward to trying on some low traction, a track where we have an upcoming state title.
Old 09-04-2010, 05:29 AM   #742
Tech Adept

You say with the standard blocks the car is over 190 mm in the rear?
Foodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 05:53 AM   #743
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foodie View Post
You say with the standard blocks the car is over 190 mm in the rear?
Kit blocks, and kit 5mm hex on normal offset rims = 191mm wide.
Depending on rims used of course, eg sorex rims are -1mm offset, to it would be 189.

Technically illegal, however i have never been to an event where track width is actually measured. I even remember reading a Paul L post saying he often runs wider than 190 on foam to get better handling.

Hey guys - I just realised that the final kit comes with a 2 degree rear block, so i guess this would keep it around the 190 mm wide. 191 would be with a 3 degree block. My car was an early proto in late January so it arrived in a bag, no instructions etc.

Last edited by Besercoe; 09-04-2010 at 06:15 AM.
Besercoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 06:20 AM   #744
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Besercoe View Post
revised screwed layshaft pulley mounts
Which one is this?
Old 09-04-2010, 07:10 AM   #745
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by dameetz View Post
Which one is this?

Not sure of the part number, check out 3racing.com.hk There are 2 types listed, the original is now discontinued, and the new one is shown with 4 small screws that bolt the 2 halves together, holding the spur gear tight, and minimising binding due to deflection of the 2 pieces.

Edit - I think it is SAK-U05. Original now discontinued was SAK-05
Old 09-04-2010, 10:15 AM   #746
Tech Elite

Quote:
Not sure of the part number, check out 3racing.com.hk There are 2 types listed, the original is now discontinued, and the new one is shown with 4 small screws that bolt the 2 halves together, holding the spur gear tight, and minimising binding due to deflection of the 2 pieces.

Edit - I think it is SAK-U05. Original now discontinued was SAK-05
Thanks for the info mate, just saw it on 3Racing site.
Old 09-08-2010, 11:02 PM   #747
Tech Rookie

Default Contact from Brazil

Hi Folks !

A Briefly introduce about myself......
My name is Paulo, age 46 and a RC Pilot in São Paulo city, Brazil.
I'm a member of a RC Club near house where I drive a GP car, but seems that situation will change as many pilots at our club are now starting to race with EP cars.
In this sense, I'm also planning to buy one for me and I'm interested in the Sakura due to it reasonable price and also easy to find the spare parts at the sites in China / Hong Kong.
In this sense, I'd like to ask if somebody here knows when 3 racing plans to also manufacture the actual plastic parts like "C Hubs" and "Knuckle Arms" in alluminium ????

best regards

Paulo
PAULTRIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 12:25 AM   #748
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAULTRIC View Post
Hi Folks !

A Briefly introduce about myself......
My name is Paulo, age 46 and a RC Pilot in São Paulo city, Brazil.
I'm a member of a RC Club near house where I drive a GP car, but seems that situation will change as many pilots at our club are now starting to race with EP cars.
In this sense, I'm also planning to buy one for me and I'm interested in the Sakura due to it reasonable price and also easy to find the spare parts at the sites in China / Hong Kong.
In this sense, I'd like to ask if somebody here knows when 3 racing plans to also manufacture the actual plastic parts like "C Hubs" and "Knuckle Arms" in alluminium ????

best regards

Paulo
I dont know if they have plans to do that, alloy pieces generally have lower performance than the plastic parts.
Also an alloy part will bend instead of break and cause major handling problems which you will be unable to diagnose. If you REALLY want alloy parts, the Xray plastics are interchangeable, and those are available in alloy.
Old 09-09-2010, 06:37 PM   #749
Tech Rookie

Quote:
I dont know if they have plans to do that, alloy pieces generally have lower performance than the plastic parts.
Also an alloy part will bend instead of break and cause major handling problems which you will be unable to diagnose. If you REALLY want alloy parts, the Xray plastics are interchangeable, and those are available in alloy.
Besercoe,

Thanks for yr answer !
Seems to me yr argument has a lot of sense, but here in Brasil the people like to change this plastics parts into alloy, believing they are more resistant for the impacts !!!!!!
Anyway, I'll stock these plastic itens and see how it goes after putting the car on the track !

regards

Paulo
PAULTRIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 08:50 PM   #750
Tech Apprentice

Besercoe,

Why is that ???

Quote:
alloy pieces generally have lower performance than the plastic parts.

I never really though of it like that. Now I'm have a different perspective on plastic part. Good One !!

Quote:
Also an alloy part will bend instead of break and cause major handling problems which you will be unable to diagnose.
kowkl is offline   Reply With Quote