Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-04-2010, 01:18 AM   #601
Tech Apprentice

They had a team at the TITC
martynp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 09:25 AM   #602
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Anyone heard any news on the gear diff for this car? Hell I haven't even had time to try the roller ball diff....
The Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 11:20 AM   #603
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Delay moment will release !
RC MARKET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 11:47 AM   #604
Tech Champion

Yeah what's with all these cars these days going to a gear diff? Seems like a step backwards to me.
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 10:39 PM   #605
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to seaball

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspGadgt View Post
Yeah what's with all these cars these days going to a gear diff? Seems like a step backwards to me.
gear diffs can be set looser than a ball diff w/o slipping. additionally, they are more consistent from run to run (especially with high powered motors) as they don't wear like a ball diff does. both of those functions are a step forward. they are probably more consistent over a run (due to less heat buildup) as well. and the idea of running multiple batteries in modified without a mandatory rebuild can be added to the list of positives over a typical ball diff.

a ball diff is a thrust bearing mis-applied by being subjected to a torque load. wasn't ever a great idea, but the weight savings probably made it worth it. that and most r/c guys haven't an engineer's brain, so when they heard you could put more ball bearings in the car... well, that just had to be a great idea.

it remains to be seen whether gear diffs will stay or just be a trend, but i think if designed and built properly, they'll make ball diffs ancient history in ep vehicles as they are in nitro.
Old 07-05-2010, 01:46 AM   #606
Tech Fanatic

And the most popular reason right now is most of WC racers had one in their cars. So gear diff makes me a better driver! lol
Old 07-05-2010, 01:49 AM   #607
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaball View Post
gear diffs can be set looser than a ball diff w/o slipping. additionally, they are more consistent from run to run (especially with high powered motors) as they don't wear like a ball diff does. both of those functions are a step forward. they are probably more consistent over a run (due to less heat buildup) as well. and the idea of running multiple batteries in modified without a mandatory rebuild can be added to the list of positives over a typical ball diff.

a ball diff is a thrust bearing mis-applied by being subjected to a torque load. wasn't ever a great idea, but the weight savings probably made it worth it. that and most r/c guys haven't an engineer's brain, so when they heard you could put more ball bearings in the car... well, that just had to be a great idea.

it remains to be seen whether gear diffs will stay or just be a trend, but i think if designed and built properly, they'll make ball diffs ancient history in ep vehicles as they are in nitro.
+1

A E - 12R5.2 _ S M - REV8 PRO
JayBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 04:16 AM   #608
Tech Champion

Quote:

Oh I understand all that...it's just back when I started out everyone was ditching gear diffs for ball diffs...and now people are starting to go back. That said today's gear diffs are a lot better than what was in cars in the early 90's. Back then they weren't sealed like today so tuning via different thicknesses of oil wasn't an option like it is today...not to mention no one was really making oils for that purpose. Now that we have that it is easier to build a gear diff and have it set the same every single time unlike a ball diff. Initially ball diffs worked more like a limited slip diff so the torque to the ground could be tuned somewhat...after slipper clutches came out that became unnecessary.
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 06:49 AM   #609
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

A gear diff is not without some issues....

It does wear to some degree. As it wears(gears, O-rings, diff case, etc..) you of course get a slightly looser setting.

Diff build/set-up/feel can be affected by many things too. Shims, O-rings drag/O-ring swelling, oil fill level, wear, gasket and/or sealant, screw tightness, variances in tolerance of moulded diff halves, etc..

And a gear diff does require some maintenance also, especially with the lighter diff oils that are used in EP touring. Diff oils do leak out slowly over time and that does affect the setting. I once found my MTX-3's rear diff empty after not checking it for several months. There were the usual slight oil trails coming from the outdrive shaft area and the diff halves were well sealed with the required gasket plus a light smearing of RTV silicone sealant, so it beat's me where all the oil went.

Sooo, i'm just saying a gear diff is not fool proof and/or maintenance free.
FREAKAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 08:08 PM   #610
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to seaball

Quote:
Originally Posted by FREAKAH View Post
A gear diff is not without some issues....

Sooo, i'm just saying a gear diff is not fool proof and/or maintenance free.
for sure. but i think it's a better platform to work from. again though, time will tell. maybe if we work with these for a while, we can replace the viscous fill with some kind of adjustable friction plate setup and they'll be even more hassle free. who knows. but i know i got tired of ball diffs on carpet, and eventually just had some one-off 20-ball pulleys made for my mi3/4's. and even those weren't bulletproof (however close).
Old 07-05-2010, 08:39 PM   #611
Tech Champion

Leave it to seaball to want extra balls...

Awesomatix USA/Pyscho Cells Racing/Tekin/Sweep Racing/RSD/180 Raceway/Johns Mobile Raceway/TQ Wire/Avid/Sanwa
geeunit1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 10:27 PM   #612
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeunit1014 View Post
Leave it to seaball to want extra balls...

Sorry seaball...........but that was hilarious!
Old 07-05-2010, 10:30 PM   #613
Tech Master

Quote:
for sure. but i think it's a better platform to work from. again though, time will tell. maybe if we work with these for a while, we can replace the viscous fill with some kind of adjustable friction plate setup and they'll be even more hassle free. who knows. but i know i got tired of ball diffs on carpet, and eventually just had some one-off 20-ball pulleys made for my mi3/4's. and even those weren't bulletproof (however close).
Yeah, it takes time(along with the mess) to get at a setting that you want but once you do it's all good. Just check the feel every once in a while.
Old 07-06-2010, 08:33 AM   #614
Tech Champion

New Narrow Suspension Mount
Attached Thumbnails
Sakura Zero - New Touring Car!-3r-sak-60pk.jpg   Sakura Zero - New Touring Car!-3r-sak-61pk.jpg   Sakura Zero - New Touring Car!-3r-sak-62pk.jpg   Sakura Zero - New Touring Car!-3r-sak-63pk.jpg   Sakura Zero - New Touring Car!-3r-sak-64pk.jpg  

RC MARKET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 08:59 PM   #615
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

seaball, you still rolling with Schumacher or did you get a 3 racing car...
The Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote