R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-09-2010, 02:49 PM   #436
Tech Regular

In case someone is looking for an editable setup sheet, find one here

For those who want to share setup or encountering issue with the document, you can drop me an e-mail (address on the sheet, make sure to get rid off the bracket).

Last edited by Arn0; 05-09-2010 at 03:03 PM.
Arn0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 02:56 PM   #437
Tech Adept

Send a message via MSN to kúv!n

A full review of this great looking kit can also be found here.
kúv!n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 08:12 PM   #438
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dameetz View Post
Troy which tamiya extra hard white spring is that? Do you have the part no for it?

My orders of Tamiya short springs #53333 and #42168 have arrived yesterday. Basically both sets are the same its just the difference in colours.

So I sort of mini tested the car today using these springs, in my hands,I felt that the springs are too soft. This was confirmed when I tested the car on the track. The car has too much roll and the chassis was easily bottoming out during braking and hard corners. I m sure if I get a proper hardness springs that the car should be as good as I like it to be. One more thing when using these springs, I can't get ride height lower than 6mm at the front, and thats already with 0 preload on the shock collar. Now I m just waiting for 3Racing to release the springs set next week as mentioned by RCMarket, until then I m going to try out some shorts springs thats available here locally, the ABC Hobby springs for their mini 4wd and the Active hobby A210SS springs, hopefully it will work as I really intend to race this car by next week's FEMCA indoor carpet race.

Overall I m more than satisfied with this car, the quality is amazing, fit and finish is the best that I have seen (yes, above my Tamiya 416x standards), no shims to add anywhere to minimized slops (well except 2 places, the spur gears which i had to add 0.2mm shims on both side of the shaft and under the diff bearing eccentric upper cover which I had to add 0.3mm shims on all 8 screws to free up the diff bearings).
I used these http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=263602_263622

I could get 5mm of ride height easy with these but they gave me way too much roll with blue up front and yellow in the rear. My car had so much grip but like you experienced, I was rolling too much and my chassis would pick up traction on the edges from 180s where the chassis dipped way too much. So I had a friend with serpent white springs, I put the white springs up front but I could only get my ride height to 6mm so I left it like that. I put the blues on rear and put the ride height for 6mm all around. The car handles so much better now but I still have too much traction. I went up in my sway bars and played with camber and it feels really good right now but I know it can go faster.

-Troy
Old 05-09-2010, 08:22 PM   #439
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy1x View Post
I used these http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=263602_263622

I could get 5mm of ride height easy with these but they gave me way too much roll with blue up front and yellow in the rear. My car had so much grip but like you experienced, I was rolling too much and my chassis would pick up traction on the edges from 180s where the chassis dipped way too much. So I had a friend with serpent white springs, I put the white springs up front but I could only get my ride height to 6mm so I left it like that. I put the blues on rear and put the ride height for 6mm all around. The car handles so much better now but I still have too much traction. I went up in my sway bars and played with camber and it feels really good right now but I know it can go faster.

-Troy

Troy, what oils are you using?
Also, if you dont have problems with traction rolling, try raising the arm mounts with regular 3mm spacers, try 0.5 or 1.0mm to start with, as the arm mounts are the same height as a tamiya arm mount, which is in turn 1mm higher than a cyclone style mount.

So if you are looking at other cars setups it can give you a starting point to work from.
Old 05-09-2010, 08:27 PM   #440
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Besercoe View Post
An update on my car with the switched servo possie, the car felt immediately very smooth to drive, no real difference in steering speed was noticeable.

Overall the car felt much more nimble and balanced left to right with the servo change and the belt swap.

I will have to post some pics on monday when i am back at work.

I also mounted the hard top deck, running on a very high grip treated track, the car felt much smoother through the corner, although at the expense of some steering, which could be gained back with setup changes. Interestingly the hard deck is the smae shape at the rear, only thicker through the front and middle, so it can be used as a tuning aid on all surfaces to increas and decrease front end grip as needed.

After racing finished, i tried to mount the 21tooth centre pullies, the rear is fine, but the front belt on the loosest setting is like a buitar string, so not sure if there should be some different belts coming to match up with the new pullies.

Note for high wind spec classes, you could easily go to a 22t centre pulley and use 416 diff pullies which are 37 instead of kit 38 for a lower internal ratio so you dont need to use stupid size gears.
Pic loaded, showing switched servo position.
And swapped belts.
There are also a number of other things i am trying in order to give feedback to 3Racing.
Attached Thumbnails
Sakura Zero - New Touring Car!-picture-1476.jpg  
Old 05-09-2010, 08:59 PM   #441
Tech Elite

Quote:
Pic loaded, showing switched servo position.
And swapped belts.
There are also a number of other things i am trying in order to give feedback to 3Racing.
Brad, are you using TRF shocks with the kit spring? How does it go?
Old 05-09-2010, 09:47 PM   #442
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by dameetz View Post
Brad, are you using TRF shocks with the kit spring? How does it go?
Hi Dameetz

I have been using the TRF shocks so i can easily run HPI springs.
The optional 3Racing springs are shorter than the "Kit" ones and will fit the std shocks perfectly, and will be available in a wide array of weights.
Old 05-10-2010, 06:00 AM   #443
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Troy, what oils are you using?
Also, if you dont have problems with traction rolling, try raising the arm mounts with regular 3mm spacers, try 0.5 or 1.0mm to start with, as the arm mounts are the same height as a tamiya arm mount, which is in turn 1mm higher than a cyclone style mount.

So if you are looking at other cars setups it can give you a starting point to work from.
I am using 35wt losi oil all around.

What do you mean by raising the arm mounts you talking about raising the roll center?

How does the TRF shocks work on the 3R car?

-Troy
Old 05-10-2010, 07:03 AM   #444
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy1x View Post
I am using 35wt losi oil all around.

What do you mean by raising the arm mounts you talking about raising the roll center?

How does the TRF shocks work on the 3R car?

-Troy
35wt is very light, try 50-60 and you will see the car will roll a lot slower, and not as far.

Yes raising the mounts will raise the RC, a small change goes a long way here, but on really high traction raising the RC too far will help induce traction roll.

TRF shocks are same in design as the 3r shocks, however the length of the top cap is shorter, allows low ride height with HPI springs. If your using the 3r springs, dont bother.
Old 05-10-2010, 07:14 AM   #445
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
35wt is very light, try 50-60 and you will see the car will roll a lot slower, and not as far.

Yes raising the mounts will raise the RC, a small change goes a long way here, but on really high traction raising the RC too far will help induce traction roll.

TRF shocks are same in design as the 3r shocks, however the length of the top cap is shorter, allows low ride height with HPI springs. If your using the 3r springs, dont bother.
I was thinking of trying 45/40 combo or 45/45. I am also getting the Hard Top deck this week.

I am waiting on the roll center shims to come out, I tried raising the roll center by 1.0mm all around with washers but I was only adding washers to the pivot block pins and when I screwing the block down it looked like I was bending the block, so I stopped. If I tried that again I would need washers for the screws as well as the pins, so the rear block would need four washers total.

So if I didn't want to go with 3racing springs, I could go out and buy a set of trf shocks and a set of HPI springs or Tamiya Springs and be all set?

-Troy
Old 05-10-2010, 07:17 AM   #446
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (92%+)
Default trf shocks

if your going to put trf shocks on this car, why not buy a 416x in the first place?
captain stacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 07:40 AM   #447
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Sakura replacement arrived !
Attached Thumbnails
Sakura Zero - New Touring Car!-sakura-replacement.jpg  
RC MARKET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 11:22 AM   #448
Tech Elite

Has anyone tried the roller diff bearing system yet?
Old 05-10-2010, 11:51 AM   #449
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

i decided to order this car today, but i have 2 questions,
1- it is out of stock in rcmarket, i usually make my shopping in rcmarket do you know another online shop that i can buy ( i live in turkey)
2- what spares or must have options should i buy with the car?
khaledome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 11:51 AM   #450
Tech Regular

Has anyone broken any parts? I'm wondering what weak points this car has and what kind of stock I'd need to keep in my pit bag.