Ask Paul Lemieux, RC America/MOTIV/Gravity RC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ask Paul Lemieux, RC America/MOTIV/Gravity RC

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 10:13 AM
Gravity RC

Im off to the Gas Nats this week so i will be back around early next week to catch up with any questions.

Thanks
Old 09-19-2011, 11:13 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

What Speed Control is that Paul?
Old 09-19-2011, 11:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Owen RaCing

What Speed Control is that Paul?
Since Paul is incommunicado at the moment I'll chime in for him. One of the great traits of TPRC is that they don't "rest on their laurels." With that being said, it's a proto speedo
Old 09-19-2011, 11:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Awesome, Thanks Fred.
Old 09-20-2011, 06:14 AM
Tech Master

Hello Paul !

I'm looking to buy the 2012 Xray when it comes out . Since all my cars are Xrays ( 1/10 touring with a T1 , 1/10 T1R"ally" , M18 ) I'd rather keep using these splendid machines but the problem is that these cars are a very rare sight these days at my track , since everybody else is running mostly AE cars . This means that the closest I can get to parts is in a neighbouring country . My question is , which parts do you reccomend buying with the kit , just to be safe ? Also , what can I expect from the 2012 kit ?

Denis
Old 09-20-2011, 02:16 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Shouldn't the capacitor be glued to the chassis ???
Old 09-20-2011, 02:20 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

If Tp could come with a speedy capable of running 2.5t motors with some timing, that would be great ! Right now, Novak , lrp, and speedpassion are the only real choice for mod motors faster than 4.5t ....
Old 09-21-2011, 09:57 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default Asphalt 2 Carpet

Paul,

I hear guys talk about switching their chassis over from Summer Asphalt to Winter Carpet.

Question #1: What kind of changes should I be looking at to make the change from Asphalt to Carpet.?.?.?

Question #2: I am building an XRay T3 2010 and am just getting ready to build the shocks. Can you give me any helpful hints on how to build my XRay shocks? I have heard they can be tricky to build.

Last edited by StarrRacing; 09-22-2011 at 06:00 AM.
Old 09-26-2011, 08:22 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Paul L
Hi.
For carpet saucing i normally just use the sauce for everything. at big races we almost always have a spec sauce, so i will simply clean the tires with sauce then sauce after. i could definitely see your wd40 then sauce working very well also.
Paul - I was doing a search on the forum for Jaco blue tires on carpet and how to prep. I found you answered someone with that information.

Could I also ask if you do anything to the jaco blue tires before this step(file them etc) and I have heard these tires take quite a few runs to get to optimum. Do you find this to be the case?

I am heading to IIC and heard JACO will be the handout tire. I never used this brand before so I thought I would get your experienced input. Just need to know if one set of tires will be enough or should I plan to practice with a set and race with a few sets...

Thanks for your time.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:01 AM
Gravity RC

Originally Posted by UrabusDenis
Hello Paul !

I'm looking to buy the 2012 Xray when it comes out . Since all my cars are Xrays ( 1/10 touring with a T1 , 1/10 T1R"ally" , M18 ) I'd rather keep using these splendid machines but the problem is that these cars are a very rare sight these days at my track , since everybody else is running mostly AE cars . This means that the closest I can get to parts is in a neighbouring country . My question is , which parts do you reccomend buying with the kit , just to be safe ? Also , what can I expect from the 2012 kit ?

Denis
Hi Dennis. The Most common thing to break on the Xrays are the steering knuckls so i would go ahead and get 2 or three spairs of those, i would carry a spair set of hinge pins, suspension arms and rear uprights also. it is very rare to break a suspension arm or upright but it could happen. on the secondary parts I would carry spur gears (obvious) and a pair of shock bodys, after that you should be pretty good.

Im not sure what the new car will bring us yet but i do know now that it is in the works.

Originally Posted by bertrandsv87
If Tp could come with a speedy capable of running 2.5t motors with some timing, that would be great ! Right now, Novak , lrp, and speedpassion are the only real choice for mod motors faster than 4.5t ....
The speed control in my car is really just a skeleton for testing software. I have more production hardware to test now along with new software so we will see. I truley think that their is no need for a 2.5,3.0 or 3.5 in racing or anything at that, I always use a 4.0 and with the right speedo have never lacked for power or top speed on even the largest tracks. a speedo that would handle a 2.5 turn in all situations would be Very hard to make and manufactures dont have a huge need to focus on such a task BC of the 4.0, 4.5 being so fast already.

Thanks
Old 09-27-2011, 07:21 AM
Gravity RC

Originally Posted by StarrRacing
Paul,

I hear guys talk about switching their chassis over from Summer Asphalt to Winter Carpet.

Question #1: What kind of changes should I be looking at to make the change from Asphalt to Carpet.?.?.?

Hi. normally on carpet i run a car that is a little more front heavy, i run a car that has a little more scrub in the front (wider front hexs), I would consitter running the rear end more narrow, and possibly a bit of outboard toe instead of inboard toe. any of those changes to make the car roll more over the rear. Those arent nessissary changes at all but examples of what i have done in the past

Question #2: I am building an XRay T3 2010 and am just getting ready to build the shocks. Can you give me any helpful hints on how to build my XRay shocks? I have heard they can be tricky to build.
I find the shocks to be pretty easy to build, here is what i do.

fill the shock. pump the piston and return the piston to the bottom, (air comes up from under the piston.), re fill the shock to the very top. Put bladder in, push down on the center of the bladder with a tool to extend the bladder in the oil (oil bleeding out the side of bladder.) Screw on cap.
Then i flip the shock upside down and let it sit for a minute or two, (any air will now come to the bottom of the shock.) With the shock still upside down i now remove the bottom cap and push the piston slowly down all the way, when the piston is all the way down i then turn on the bottom cap on.

99% of the time when bleeding it this way the air will bleed out as you push the piston in and it will result in a fairly dead shock with no air.

Thanks.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:30 AM
Gravity RC

Originally Posted by TheZoof
Paul - I was doing a search on the forum for Jaco blue tires on carpet and how to prep. I found you answered someone with that information.

Could I also ask if you do anything to the jaco blue tires before this step(file them etc) and I have heard these tires take quite a few runs to get to optimum. Do you find this to be the case?

I am heading to IIC and heard JACO will be the handout tire. I never used this brand before so I thought I would get your experienced input. Just need to know if one set of tires will be enough or should I plan to practice with a set and race with a few sets...

Thanks for your time.

At handout races it can be tricky, at a club level i find that Jacos can be faster the older they get. In Vegas for instance Old tires will be best at the begining of practice for sure, as the track gets grooved in the newer tires will begin to perform better. Every year seemd to be different also.

I would for sure prep the tire, New tires i would clean with motor spray then sauce for atleast 1hr before running. on re run tires i would clean them with sauce then sauce 30min before you run.

All in all i think that you will definately want more than one set. To be safe i would run two sets in practice, one set just run once then put them away, continue to run the other set. from their i would ask around and moniter the situation to see if in the end of qualifing you want to use those scuffs that you saved or not.

see you in vegas..
Old 09-27-2011, 11:50 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Paul L
one set just run once then put them away, continue to run the other set. from their i would ask around and monitor the situation to see if in the end of qualifying you want to use those scuffs that you saved or not.
Thanks for the information. That's a great idea. One follow up question... I will be running a couple of sedan classes. Do you think it would be a good idea to run one set of tires on both cars during practice. That would mean I have one really worn set that potentially could perform better and a few one runs, if needed.

I have never seen a tire that reacted that way. I am used to the 2nd run being the fastest and after that performance going down...

Yup... see you at Vegas! should be fun...
Old 09-27-2011, 02:14 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Thanks Paul....

http://www.rctech.net/forum/wisconsi...ml#post9711028
Old 09-27-2011, 04:38 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

hi,
paul i was wondering if you knew what the new T3"12 will be like when it comes out some people are saying it will be like the 2011 with updated parts was just wondering.also do you use some sort of shock slime to built shocks.also for the gear diff do you use and sort of grease on the outdrives.
thanks
jake

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.