Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ask Paul Lemieux, RC America/MOTIV/Gravity RC

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 07:13 PM
Gravity RC

Originally Posted by pressure
Hey Paul It was nice meeting you When are you commming back to New Rochelle 360VII? I think Donnie gonna have a indoor season opener in September.
Hi, Thanks. It was a really fun race, really cool group you guys have!.
I have no plans right now as to when i will be back, in a perfect world i will come back to test 12th scale for the up coming worlds in July but i cant say if that will come true. otherwise i will try my best to make it back this fall sometime for a race. would be fun!

Thanks
Old 05-17-2012, 08:34 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Paul, it will be nice to see you out here in California for the Reedy! Are you going to be here for the club race, this Sunday?

Ryan
Old 05-18-2012, 06:47 AM
Gravity RC

Originally Posted by R Doyel
Paul, it will be nice to see you out here in California for the Reedy! Are you going to be here for the club race, this Sunday?

Ryan
Hi Ryan, Looking forward to getting out their!. I wont be in until wed though.
See ya!
Old 05-20-2012, 05:27 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Need a little more on power steering (t3 2012) on a low to mid traction track. I am running stock asphalt set up in mod. Any suggestions? I noticed the asphalt set up uses 2 piece mount in front. That is only difference in my set up. I currently only have the 1 piece block. Will this give me the on power steering I need?
Old 05-21-2012, 06:39 AM
Gravity RC

Originally Posted by Jamison R
Need a little more on power steering (t3 2012) on a low to mid traction track. I am running stock asphalt set up in mod. Any suggestions? I noticed the asphalt set up uses 2 piece mount in front. That is only difference in my set up. I currently only have the 1 piece block. Will this give me the on power steering I need?
Hi. The two piece front sus mount could help you a bit with steering but i wouldn't only look their, the car is surely tunable without worrying about sus mounts.
I would try adding some shimming to the steering ball studs. by shimming them forward 1mm it will give you less ackermann (tires will turn more equally) and the car should have more on power steering. That is what i would try first, secondly i would try and lay in the rear shocks

Thanks
Old 05-21-2012, 07:58 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hey Paul

I enjoyed your interview on the Radio Impound Podcast. I was just wondering if you ever had a situation where you kind of took on an apprentice. I mean I see you on here constantly helping out other racers, so I guess in a way thats what you are doing, but I was thinking more along the lines of taking on one person and pouring your experience into them.

Have you ever done that? Did anyone do that with you? Scotty maybe?
Old 05-21-2012, 09:38 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Paul L
Hi. The two piece front sus mount could help you a bit with steering but i wouldn't only look their, the car is surely tunable without worrying about sus mounts.
I would try adding some shimming to the steering ball studs. by shimming them forward 1mm it will give you less ackermann (tires will turn more equally) and the car should have more on power steering. That is what i would try first, secondly i would try and lay in the rear shocks

Thanks
Thanks. I will try those changes

Last edited by Jamison R; 05-21-2012 at 11:02 AM.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

Paul, need your input:

If you are in a situation (asphalt) where the car keeps over-rotating and wanting to spin, what changes do you make, and in what order? I have my set-up changes for stopping this but I think I tend to make the car harder to drive than it needs to be (not very responsive), I tend to make it into a push-mobile. Saying that steering is very good but the rear is just coming free too easily off-power, what would your series of changes be? Thanks for any/all input.
Old 05-21-2012, 02:56 PM
Gravity RC

Originally Posted by snoopyrc
Hey Paul

I enjoyed your interview on the Radio Impound Podcast. I was just wondering if you ever had a situation where you kind of took on an apprentice. I mean I see you on here constantly helping out other racers, so I guess in a way thats what you are doing, but I was thinking more along the lines of taking on one person and pouring your experience into them.

Have you ever done that? Did anyone do that with you? Scotty maybe?
Hi, I have never really done that with one person, if the situation ever came about i would have fun doing so, I try and help everyone and i still learn a ton from others my self.
I definitely had and still have this with many of my close friends in RC. Scotty Ernst being the first to really take me under his wing and Jim Dieter after that. Scotty and Jim were the main two that have helped me but their have been dozens of others along the way that have shared their knowledge with me. Even today i would pick up the phone and call a number of people if i had something that i need to understand better. With the network of really smart people like i have i should be way smarter than i am, lol but seriously.

Originally Posted by nf_ekt
Paul, need your input:

If you are in a situation (asphalt) where the car keeps over-rotating and wanting to spin, what changes do you make, and in what order? I have my set-up changes for stopping this but I think I tend to make the car harder to drive than it needs to be (not very responsive), I tend to make it into a push-mobile. Saying that steering is very good but the rear is just coming free too easily off-power, what would your series of changes be? Thanks for any/all input.
Hi. It would likely depend on the situation but in general here is what i would likely do, assuming the obvious settings are normal like 3deg rear toe.

First i would take some camber out of the front and put some in to the rear, for asphalt i would not go less than 1deg in the front or more than 3deg in the rear.
Second i would move some weight forward in the car, possibly shorter front wheelbase.
Third i would go to a softer front sway bar (normally seems to make the car make rounder corners).

Then i would try some things like moving the rear wing back if it is a high speed thing, longer rear camber link from the inside, a touch of front anti dive and If its really bad i might consider a ball diff in the rear. But yea if you do all those things the car should push bad.

Hope that helps

Last edited by Paul L; 05-21-2012 at 05:10 PM.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:05 AM
Tech Apprentice

Hi, I run a Thunder Power 13.5T in my Touring Car, currently my FDR is 4.41 with 35* timing on the motor. The track I run at is medium/small technical track. I want more speed, but can I go higher on timing? Or should I gear higher?
Old 05-22-2012, 10:13 AM
Gravity RC

Originally Posted by Thomaseh
Hi, I run a Thunder Power 13.5T in my Touring Car, currently my FDR is 4.41 with 35* timing on the motor. The track I run at is medium/small technical track. I want more speed, but can I go higher on timing? Or should I gear higher?
That's a hard call, if you keep going up on timing it could go in to melt down mode easily. but also a 4.4 for gear is on the high side also. what temps are you seeing on the motor and do you have a fan on it? also which rotor are you running?

Thanks
Old 05-22-2012, 10:56 AM
Tech Apprentice

That's a hard call, if you keep going up on timing it could go in to melt down mode easily. but also a 4.4 for gear is on the high side also. what temps are you seeing on the motor and do you have a fan on it? also which rotor are you running?

Thanks
My friends run Speedpassion MMM motors with a FDR around 4.8 and they have the same speed, but have much more punch out of the corner.

After 5 minutes my motor is around 65 to 80 degrees celsius, and yes I have a fan on it. I use the standard rotor that came with the motor. I feel I have little punch out of the corners.

I run blinky on the ESC.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:19 PM
Gravity RC

Originally Posted by Thomaseh
My friends run Speedpassion MMM motors with a FDR around 4.8 and they have the same speed, but have much more punch out of the corner.

After 5 minutes my motor is around 65 to 80 degrees celsius, and yes I have a fan on it. I use the standard rotor that came with the motor. I feel I have little punch out of the corners.

I run blinky on the ESC.
I would leave the gear and timing and try the stronger Blue rotor. I think that with the standard rotor you could be overgeared. The temp that you are at is fine but keep an eye on it. Hope it helps.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:22 PM
Gravity RC

Hi all, I'm off to the Reedy race then the ETS and the worlds warm up. so i wont be on here for a good while. I will surely catch up when i get back though. Thanks!!
Old 05-22-2012, 10:52 PM
Tech Apprentice

I would leave the gear and timing and try the stronger Blue rotor. I think that with the standard rotor you could be overgeared. The temp that you are at is fine but keep an eye on it. Hope it helps.
Thanks alot for your help

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.