Wiki Posts
Search

Ask Paul Lemieux, RC America/MOTIV/Gravity RC

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 02:18 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Paul L
Hi, Im sorry that i missed this question. I do not reccomend LG for carpet racing. LG1 will work on carpet but i dont reccomend or even try and market it to carpet racers BC of the indoor conditions with the smell of the product. LG2 will also work well in some applications for carpet but again i dont reccomend it BC of its high oil content, LG2 does not smell but i would be afraid of the kind of groove it would build if everyone was using it.

So yes i have used it and it works but i dont reccomend iether, but for different reasons. LOl

LGC (carpet) will be on the way sometime.
thank you for your reply paul how long before lgc will be avaible
Old 10-29-2011, 02:56 PM
Gravity RC

Originally Posted by Craig W
thank you for your reply paul how long before lgc will be avaible
Im not sure yet, sorry.
Old 10-30-2011, 06:07 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Hey Paul, hope all is well and Skewes recovered from his ghost pepper incident

I just have a question about shock oil. I see a lot of the current setups went away from the 2 hole pistons in front and back to the 3 hole. Also seeing that some guys are running same front and rear oil ie. 500 f/r. Would you recommend this for stock racing or is this just mainly for mod? I run pretty much your basic setup from the carpet nats last year and it feels pretty good. Sometimes I feel like I am waiting for the car just a little to turn. Would it help just softening up the front by going to a 3 hole piston? Otherwise it feels good. Any help is much appreciated.
Old 10-30-2011, 12:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Hey Paul,

What are your thoughts on the wing hole cut-outs? I run 17.5 blinky and thought I should leave them closed but others report to open them up.

I don't actually get what they are for. I posted this topic and got some pretty techie answers but no real world experienced answers.

What do you do?
Old 10-30-2011, 12:57 PM
Tech Regular

hello!

How to gear Z3R-M 4.5T Modified motors on indoor carpet track?
and setup in the ESC? use like SXX v2
Old 10-30-2011, 02:27 PM
Gravity RC

Originally Posted by WIITA
Hey Paul, hope all is well and Skewes recovered from his ghost pepper incident

I just have a question about shock oil. I see a lot of the current setups went away from the 2 hole pistons in front and back to the 3 hole. Also seeing that some guys are running same front and rear oil ie. 500 f/r. Would you recommend this for stock racing or is this just mainly for mod? I run pretty much your basic setup from the carpet nats last year and it feels pretty good. Sometimes I feel like I am waiting for the car just a little to turn. Would it help just softening up the front by going to a 3 hole piston? Otherwise it feels good. Any help is much appreciated.
Hi, i think skewes is all recovered .
I still prefer the thicker front shock set up most of the time. weather its 2hole 500 or 3hole 700 in the front i think that the performance is similar. i have had some set ups lately that had 3hole 500 all around but that is BC im kinda lost and trying stuff. So i still think that 500 2holeF 3holeR is still a prefered set up. no prob!

Originally Posted by Mera'din
Hey Paul,

What are your thoughts on the wing hole cut-outs? I run 17.5 blinky and thought I should leave them closed but others report to open them up.

I don't actually get what they are for. I posted this topic and got some pretty techie answers but no real world experienced answers.

What do you do?
I cant say that i really know for sure, sorry. if you test it please post your findings for us.

Originally Posted by Zooberg
hello!

How to gear Z3R-M 4.5T Modified motors on indoor carpet track?
and setup in the ESC? use like SXX v2
Hi, i would start it at 8.5 overall with 15deg timing to start. 2,1,1,3 for settings. that should be pretty close.

Thanks
Old 10-30-2011, 06:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

So What you are saying is that you leave the wing holes filled? Don't cut them out?

I cut mine out and it seemed like I kinda washed out on corner exit. To be fair, it was a new car and the first time I ran laps with it. I am going to try and cover the holes with tape and see if I can notice a difference.

Here is a quote from the other thread...

"Basically... what happens is as speeds rise, more air flows through the holes. This decreases drag on the straightaway. However, the air does not lay as low on the body in the rear when you brake. So, the air hits the top of the spoiler creating downforce for that turn you need to take. It's a very simple way to keep speeds up on the straights and your downforce up in the corners. It won't be perfect for every track or every setup, but should work well in MOST conditions."
Old 10-31-2011, 06:31 AM
Gravity RC

Originally Posted by Mera'din
So What you are saying is that you leave the wing holes filled? Don't cut them out?

I cut mine out and it seemed like I kinda washed out on corner exit. To be fair, it was a new car and the first time I ran laps with it. I am going to try and cover the holes with tape and see if I can notice a difference.

Here is a quote from the other thread...

"Basically... what happens is as speeds rise, more air flows through the holes. This decreases drag on the straightaway. However, the air does not lay as low on the body in the rear when you brake. So, the air hits the top of the spoiler creating downforce for that turn you need to take. It's a very simple way to keep speeds up on the straights and your downforce up in the corners. It won't be perfect for every track or every setup, but should work well in MOST conditions."
cool, my first thought would have been a turbulence thing.
I dont cut out the slots in my wings but im not against it at all.

Thanks
Old 11-01-2011, 08:18 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Just an FYI for everybody.....I have recovered but i have Chucky E Cheese craving now! LOL
Old 11-04-2011, 08:43 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default shock question

HI Paul

I saw on the x ray setup sheet that the foam insert and o-ring on the shaft can be removed from the shocks, what do you gain by removing the one or the other or even both? I always build the shocks as the manual says but i never have the filling that i'm doing them right.

thank you
Old 11-04-2011, 11:07 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Corally_27
HI Paul

I saw on the x ray setup sheet that the foam insert and o-ring on the shaft can be removed from the shocks, what do you gain by removing the one or the other or even both? I always build the shocks as the manual says but i never have the filling that i'm doing them right.

thank you
The O-ring on the shock shaft limits the travel of the shock, a bit like a 'bump stop', It's mainly used to help prevent grip roll etc.
Old 11-04-2011, 11:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

What's up Paul , quick Q for ya. In a grip role situation in mid corner area do we go stiffer or softer wile tring to keep the overall feel the same?
I don't run sway bars and only spec
Can't wait for dalas next week see u then
Old 11-05-2011, 01:48 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hi Paul

what fdr would run on 21.5t in tc boosted plz
Old 11-05-2011, 05:14 AM
Tech Adept

Hi Paul,

On one of your setup sheets you mention that you find it better not to use the big O-ring in the XRAY gear diff.

Could you explain why, or even just if you have to make any measures to stop the diff leaking without this in?

Regards,

AndyM
Old 11-05-2011, 05:32 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Craig W
Hi Paul

what fdr would run on 21.5t in tc boosted plz
You're going to have to give him a lot more info than that for a suitable answer.
What size track, what ESC and motor etc. And that's if he can give any info on a class he hasn't run. Isn't there someone at your track who runs similar equipment?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.