Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Ask Paul Lemieux, RC America/MOTIV/Gravity RC >

Ask Paul Lemieux, RC America/MOTIV/Gravity RC

Ask Paul Lemieux, RC America/MOTIV/Gravity RC

Old 07-12-2010, 03:13 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Paul L
Thanks guys , sorry i let you downLOL.
Thanks ED, sometimes it wasnt so pretty but in the end it was good.

Hi again, I do use servo tape to hold my battery in. I use a 5mm wide strip going across the battery at the very front of the battery and at the very rear.
This way the chassis flex's perfectly underneath. Keep the serfaces clean and it wont come out, dont use too much servo tape, otherwise you will never get it out. .
Thanks Paul for your response.
And i do not think you letting us down, i have really enjoyed to
watch and see you and of course all others driving the A-main.
I have to wait for a chassis like you, in the meantime I had a response from Xray that they are looking seriously for this chassis to make this as a option part, i hope they dont wait to long.
Regards YGM.

Ed
Old 07-13-2010, 08:24 AM
Gravity RC

Originally Posted by eded1
Thanks Paul for your response.
And i do not think you letting us down, i have really enjoyed to
watch and see you and of course all others driving the A-main.
I have to wait for a chassis like you, in the meantime I had a response from Xray that they are looking seriously for this chassis to make this as a option part, i hope they dont wait to long.
Regards YGM.

Ed

Cool, i think that they will do something like it for sure, they had chassis at the worlds that looked very nice but i did not have time to test it all. so we will see.

Thanks. Paul
Old 07-13-2010, 09:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Hey Paul,

Your Worlds setup sheet looks pretty empty, could you check it out, again. **Never mind, I guess I caught you inbetween working on it.

Whats a DNA wing look like compared to the other PF wings, is there a pic of this wing somewhere that a person can see what it looks like, AND why do you prefer that wing? Is that for asphalt, carpet or both?

Thanks, and thanks for your last response, exactly what I was looking for.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:04 AM
Gravity RC

Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone
Hey Paul,

Your Worlds setup sheet looks pretty empty, could you check it out, again. **Never mind, I guess I caught you inbetween working on it.

Whats a DNA wing look like compared to the other PF wings, is there a pic of this wing somewhere that a person can see what it looks like, AND why do you prefer that wing? Is that for asphalt, carpet or both?

Thanks, and thanks for your last response, exactly what I was looking for.

I think that wing has just a touch more high speed steering. it is the wing off of the protoform DNA Foam or Dna rubber body. I have run it on asphalt and carpet but i am more likely to use it for asphalt.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:37 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I was wondering why you take other routes to stiffen up the chassis than just using the chassis post. Like counter sinking the top deck, suspension arms, etc..
Old 07-13-2010, 11:35 AM
Gravity RC

Originally Posted by Way2Evl
I was wondering why you take other routes to stiffen up the chassis than just using the chassis post. Like counter sinking the top deck, suspension arms, etc..
Hi, I dont have a great answer for that, i countersink the top deck just because it is a more solid way to mount it, the chassis post reduces the flex a lot and also shorten's the distance between the pionts of flex, we have gome away from short top decks for that reason. on my really soft chassis car i did use the chassis post behind the steering to make it stiffer.
suspension material stiffness is a totally different thing but i have not been able to test it that well lately.
Old 07-13-2010, 12:06 PM
Tech Adept

And thank you for all your answers to my questions. I really appreciate it and it helps out tremendously!
Old 07-13-2010, 12:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Paul L
Hi, I wouldnt really change anything on my car but i think that my cars have well ballanced set ups right now. If your in the situation where your car works when its cool but dose not work well when its hot, then i think your set up is off in the first place. with good tires and a cool track almost every set up will work decent, its when the track is hot is where the set up flaws really show.
But i would thinka softer chassis and suspension when the track is
really hot could be better in a lot of cases. I would moove the shocks in on the arm to make things sofer instead of changing the oil and springs, that should work the tires much less.
So get the two hole arms front and rear to soften the car up? Why would you say try that over shock oil or a spring a spring change? Thanks!
Old 07-13-2010, 01:12 PM
Tech Adept

I think he said the outer hole of the two hole suspension stiffens up the car. I'll let him answer though.
Old 07-13-2010, 01:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

I think he said the outer hole of the two hole suspension stiffens up the car. I'll let him answer though.
He said to move the shocks in on the arm, and theres only one hole with the stock ones. Whats the difference with the two hole arms though, is both holes in a different spot or just one?
Old 07-13-2010, 02:32 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by BlackedOutREVO
He said to move the shocks in on the arm, and theres only one hole with the stock ones. Whats the difference with the two hole arms though, is both holes in a different spot or just one?
the holes are inside and outside of the one-hole IIRC
Old 07-13-2010, 04:36 PM
Tech Adept

Maybe he meant to move the shocks on the tower because he just told me The outer hole is stiffer and i think the inner hile is for more steering. The two hole suspension arms have a hole to the right and left of standard arms.
Old 07-13-2010, 05:14 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Paul's quotes:

" if you go with the outside holes the car just becomes stiffer, the shock has more travel that way so the car will drive much more direct. "

"I would moove the shocks in on the arm to make things sofer instead of changing the oil and springs, that should work the tires much less"

which makes sense, the leverage comes from the distance from the tire to the shock mount:
outside hole, arm has less leverage thus stiffer
inside hole, arm has more leverage thus softer
Old 07-14-2010, 05:47 AM
Gravity RC

And thank you for all your answers to my questions. I really appreciate it and it helps out tremendously!
No problem!

So get the two hole arms front and rear to soften the car up? Why would you say try that over shock oil or a spring a spring change? Thanks!
I say that because a spring change can get weird, in most spring sets the jump is not only its stiffness but its progression also with number of coils as well as wire size changing.
That being said, the arm change is Huge also but atleast you know your simply increasing or decreasing the moovement of the shock threw travel the suspensions travel, thus resulting in the car being stiffer or softer, "spring and oil".

yes the outer hole would be stiffer and the inner hole softer.

both holes on the two hole arms are defferent from the one hole arms. one to the inside and one to the outside.

Maybe he meant to move the shocks on the tower because he just told me The outer hole is stiffer and i think the inner hile is for more steering. The two hole suspension arms have a hole to the right and left of standard arms.
Maybe i told you something conflicting or we wernt on the same page.
jays post below should help when broken down like that.

Originally Posted by JayL
Paul's quotes:

" if you go with the outside holes the car just becomes stiffer, the shock has more travel that way so the car will drive much more direct. "

"I would moove the shocks in on the arm to make things sofer instead of changing the oil and springs, that should work the tires much less"

which makes sense, the leverage comes from the distance from the tire to the shock mount:
outside hole, arm has less leverage thus stiffer
inside hole, arm has more leverage thus softer

Thanks for the breakdown.
Old 07-14-2010, 05:53 AM
Gravity RC

I would like you guys to know that im not saying that the two hole arms are always better.

I honestly think that in many cases the one hole arms are the best. At the Worlds i used the 2 hole arms but their were reasons for that.
high minumum weight and big tires, if that race is 1350G minimum weight and normal size tires i most likely would have had one hole arms on my car.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.