R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree4Likes

Old 05-25-2010, 05:03 PM   #61
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrabusDenis View Post
What's the fastest motors I can put in a non-modified M03 , and what parts would be needed to support stronger motors ?
I run a 9T Brushless Ezrun. (just for fun)
No issues with stock gears etc , they can handle it easily (6months use now)

A more powerful/faster motor would be a waste of time, the 9T just wheelspins for 1/3 of the back straight. 12T Ezrun is a more sensible option (but less fun)
Its very fast , but you still need to slow right down for corners
Expect to go through ALOT of Tamiya tires (Sweep tyres seem to last considerably longer). It wheelspins alot.
1101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 07:31 PM   #62
Tech Addict

Make sure you run a steel pinion or the Tamiya Hard Coated one. DO NOT run the crappy Tamiya AV pinions...they're complete junk and will destroy your spur gear in no time.
MatsNorway likes this.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:18 PM   #63
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)
Default M02

Hi I recently got a M02 and need a rear carrier. Will one from another M chassis work? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 09-10-2016, 05:03 PM   #64
Tech Initiate

Looking for recommendations for Foam tires for my M05. Can't seem to find where to buy some.

Also can I run a Lipo battery on the stock ESC/Motor without ruining anything?

Any help would be so appreciated.

Last edited by MiniU4IA; 09-14-2016 at 05:58 PM.
MiniU4IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 08:45 AM   #65
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

New life for an old ride (and an old thread!) Guess this is the right place to put this....

Cruising around on Shapeways, I found an interesting little conversion. It was an M04 rear motor conversion. After a little more digging, I found an "XL" version which stretched it out to 257mm (standard touring size) Using TL01 bits, it could be a rear motor 190mm touring car...interesting. Since I had a full option M04 on the shelf collecting dust and a TL01 long arm suspension on another shelf, I thought this might be a fun project.

The rear bolted right up, even the swaybars transferred right over.

The front parts also dropped right on, though the steering knuckle was way too short and bound up against the swaybar. I tried out a few and found that a TB02 knuckle fit perfect and was long enough to not hit the swaybar.

The rear motor conversion flips the rear clip around, and bolts to the chassis using the 4 rear bumper holes. Pretty slick idea. There's no provision for the swaybar though, and I had to improvise. I glued some CR01 spacers on to keep it centered vertically, and put a small piece of foam in between to keep it from moving laterally. Works like a charm.

Bolted up and ready to go!

Finished chassis....low and narrow! Vintage wheels and tires - the fat rear tires should help with grip out back. Flipping the suspension brings some toe out = no good. I swapped in some M06 hubs to get a little more toe in out back. I've got maybe a degree - not much.

Stock silvercan (out of little brother M06) until I get the suspension sorted out.

Love how low the entire chassis is..Tamiya's low profile bodies should have no trouble dropping on.

And seaking of bodywork...Rear wing took about an hour to get right. Holy cow!

Anyway, kinda went with my own scheme using the Jager decals and "team colors". I forgot to paint the grill black, sometimes reading the instructions comes in handy!

I took it for a test drive and it drives like a big M06 which is a good thing! Much different from my TT02 and other touring cars. It's a bit edgy, but that's what makes it fun! Eventually I'll be dropping in a 17.5 and calling it good.
MatsNorway likes this.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 08:52 AM   #66
Tech Regular

Keep us posted! I love it to death. Use double servo holder blocks to get the servo lower at the rear. At least it works on TL-01
MatsNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 08:03 PM   #67
Tech Addict

Took it out for a shakedown run on a big parking lot. Set up a course with some cones - long straights and some tight hairpins. It did really well, I was super impressed. Car is very stable in and out of mid to high speed turns. For the tight hairpins, I had some snap oversteer on braking - very little warning, would just 180 on me. Felt like an 80's porsche. I'm sure there's a way to tune it out. Already swapped over to some heavier springs up front.

Interestingly, my M06 rocked the same track...so I know the potential is there.

Looking forward to round 2!
Old 08-14-2017, 02:18 AM   #68
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

@OSRC: Awesome! That's my design M04RR-XL conversion piece. Great to finally see someone using the part. I've sold a few but never saw the results. I just happened to be searching Shapeways today on the forum and found your post.

I hope you like it! My personal M04 is not finished yet. I still have a few idea's for this conversion including a mirrored gearbox.

In case you're interested, I also offer a wide front shocktower on my Shapeways shop.
https://www.shapeways.com/product/YJ...ionId=63238362
JatoTheRipper and MatsNorway like this.

Shapeways store: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/tizerrc?li=pb
Tizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 07:00 AM   #69
Tech Addict

Very nice work good sir, fit perfectly! This old M04 has become one of my favorite runners.