R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-17-2009, 02:22 PM   #1
Tech Master
 
bcrazy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Grand Junction CO
Posts: 1,721
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default Serpent 966e

Does anyone have any information about the new brushless Serpent 966e?
__________________
Brian Branson Thank you Team Associated, Reedy, LRP, JConcepts, Byron Fuels, & Fastlane Graphix for your support in 2012 Paint by KustomRCGraphics kustomrcgraphics.com
ROAR Region 10 Director Arizona, Colorado, New Mexico, Utah, Wyoming. roarracing.com
Thank you to every track owner and or club president for giving racers like me a place to race.
bcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 12:11 PM   #2
Tech Elite
 
Tabushi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Chile - Southamerica
Posts: 3,029
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Tabushi Send a message via Yahoo to Tabushi
Default

Anyone have info about it ?

thanks,

Pat
Tabushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 04:44 PM   #3
Tech Master
 
Geezatec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,460
Default

Just as much known from the websight. Most 966 owner just have to purchase the electronic mod to convert. Just waiting on the product. Suppose to fit the Serpent 960 also.
Geezatec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 07:36 AM   #4
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Brunei Darussalam
Posts: 26
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to yellow_grey
Questions??

Cannot find any specs from Serpent website on the maximum thickness of saddle pack that will fit. I've downloaded the manual which is actually an addendum to supplement the 966 manual - nothing there. The plastic carriers are moulded to fit the saddle pack profile, but there is the middle deck which cover the lower 3 saddle packs. If this only fits a certain maximum thickness, then i think that will limit the maximum capacity of the battery it can take. Serpent states 4800mah or more..??

So far saddle pack heights & capacities available..

LRP 4800 40C - 23.5mm
LRP 5000 50C - 25.1mm
IP 5200 45C - 25.0mm
Zippy 5700 25C - 31mm

Anyone got the 966e already to comment? or maybe Serpent care to comment on maximum thickness of saddle pack that can be used. I've got one 966e kit in the cart and waiting for the shipping to take place, so now am looking for the right batteries... otherwise may have to wait until i get mine and measure it myself.
__________________
Radio: Fut 14MZ, Fut 12FG, Fut 4PK, KO EX-10
Rotary - Aurora 90, Vibe90SG, TT R90SE, A TREX600N Flybarless, 500SE, 450SE
F.Wing - Spot On120, Ultimate120, Tucano90, Mustang50, Ultimate40, Piper15
Jets - Baby Boomerang Jetcat P80, Rafale Jetcat P60SE, Skyhawk A4, Velox
On/Off Road - T2'009,T3,733,S18,Atlas Beat,MiniZ4WD,XB808,ZX-1,Savage Flux, TRF511,SCX10
yellow_grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 10:34 AM   #5
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Chicago Illinois USA
Posts: 9,107
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezatec View Post
Just as much known from the websight. Most 966 owner just have to purchase the electronic mod to convert. Just waiting on the product. Suppose to fit the Serpent 960 also.
I sure do HOPE that would fit 960 as well...but I think if they are different, still is possible to mod a little and fit it.
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 01:59 PM   #6
Tech Champion
 
RC MARKET's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: HK
Posts: 6,172
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

Conversion & Kit was released !
Attached Thumbnails
Serpent 966e-ser-904000.jpg   Serpent 966e-ser-904100.jpg  
RC MARKET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 05:13 PM   #7
Tech Master
 
Geezatec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,460
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solara View Post
I sure do HOPE that would fit 960 as well...but I think if they are different, still is possible to mod a little and fit it.
There you are bro!! You can see on Serpent websight. it will fit Serpent 960. I'm waiting for it to be released in US both for 966e and conversion.
Geezatec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 01:06 PM   #8
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 134
Default

Any news about which batteries that fit?
dark_luna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 01:11 PM   #9
Tech Champion
 
RC MARKET's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: HK
Posts: 6,172
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_luna View Post
Any news about which batteries that fit?
Intellect IP Saddle Pack
RC MARKET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 02:39 PM   #10
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 209
Default

I almost bought one of these the other day. The only thing that stopped me was that I realized the technology isn't there yet. There is no way this will run well on 4s for any decent amount of time. It will need to be no less than 5s to work well. Maybe if it was only 2wd then it would be ok on 4s but there is Pro10 that is much faster and have much longer run times.

I respect Serpent for having a go though and time will tell, but there just isn't enough space for the lipo's.

I have seen Montonica's new range of Electron cars and they look much better as they alow the lipo's to be saddled each side of the chassis which will be able to accomodate 6s easily, but what will the handling be like?
JIM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 05:13 PM   #11
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Chicago Illinois USA
Posts: 9,107
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIM1 View Post
I almost bought one of these the other day. The only thing that stopped me was that I realized the technology isn't there yet. There is no way this will run well on 4s for any decent amount of time. It will need to be no less than 5s to work well. Maybe if it was only 2wd then it would be ok on 4s but there is Pro10 that is much faster and have much longer run times.

I respect Serpent for having a go though and time will tell, but there just isn't enough space for the lipo's.

I have seen Montonica's new range of Electron cars and they look much better as they alow the lipo's to be saddled each side of the chassis which will be able to accomodate 6s easily, but what will the handling be like?
I want to agree with you....but I found these 2 videos from JAPAN and they are using Tekin 2650kv with 4S 4500 Saddles 40C.

I don't know about the handling (track is more for TC instead of 1/8th and does not look like they spray the track) but the SPEED of the 966e, I think it is as quick as a NITRO version...really excited to see that.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.


+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Last edited by Solara; 03-24-2010 at 05:26 PM.
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 06:15 PM   #12
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Chicago Illinois USA
Posts: 9,107
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow_grey View Post
Cannot find any specs from Serpent website on the maximum thickness of saddle pack that will fit. I've downloaded the manual which is actually an addendum to supplement the 966 manual - nothing there. The plastic carriers are moulded to fit the saddle pack profile, but there is the middle deck which cover the lower 3 saddle packs. If this only fits a certain maximum thickness, then i think that will limit the maximum capacity of the battery it can take. Serpent states 4800mah or more..??

So far saddle pack heights & capacities available..

LRP 4800 40C - 23.5mm
LRP 5000 50C - 25.1mm
IP 5200 45C - 25.0mm
Zippy 5700 25C - 31mm

Anyone got the 966e already to comment? or maybe Serpent care to comment on maximum thickness of saddle pack that can be used. I've got one 966e kit in the cart and waiting for the shipping to take place, so now am looking for the right batteries... otherwise may have to wait until i get mine and measure it myself.
I really wish it will fit the Zippy 5700 but I am 100% it won't.. However, I have look at the manual of the 966e and I am sure adding 6-8mm spacer above the bottom battery case screws positions then it will raise the upper case by 6-7mm in order to fit the 5700 saddle packs (assumed the width and lenght of the Zippy also work within the battery case)....it just won't SEAL the case completely. We are not running the 966 with mud or water so who cares.

The other concern is after it get raise, the BODY might have the clearence problem because the batteries are sitting higher now...
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 02:19 PM   #13
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Belgium
Posts: 128
Send a message via ICQ to CivicTuning
Default

anyone has an idea on the running time with 4S please ?

thanks,

Christoph
__________________
Capricorn LAB-C801
RB CX-R
Futaba 4PK
CivicTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 04:06 PM   #14
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Chicago Illinois USA
Posts: 9,107
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicTuning View Post
anyone has an idea on the running time with 4S please ?

thanks,

Christoph
The person who has the 966e above (from Japan) used Venom 50C lipo said he can run about 10 minutes, however, it is not a HARD race run...he said if it is racing condition, probably 6-7 the most for 4600mah.

Anything bigger then 4600mm might not fit the 966e battery case. Average 5000mah saddle packs are at least 31mm thick and the 966e battery case can fit only 26mm batteries...
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 04:33 AM   #15
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2
Default SERPENT966E

CIAO SONO ALESSIO DALL'ITALIA VI CONSIGLIO IL MOTORE LRP SPX8-VECTOTOR 8 CON PIGNONE 10 T E CORONA 45 T LE LIPO VI CONSIGLIO FLIGHTMAX 5700 IN VENDITA SU HOBBYKING
alessio966e is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sydney Model Autosports Inc [smaracing.org] The Ideas Man Australian Racing 25433 12-14-2017 05:42 PM
Serpent 966 madbeats Nitro On-Road 2237 10-29-2014 09:08 AM
Team Kamikaze Rc Racing Team Kamikaze Racing Forum 17924 08-31-2012 04:25 PM
Brushless Serpent 966 f1bmw Nitro On-Road 51 03-06-2010 09:43 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 04:40 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net