R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-17-2009, 06:02 PM   #16
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitNamedGordie View Post

I'm really trying to make sure this doesn't turn into a brushed vs brushless debate. Because there is no debate on that issue.

I am just curious on why all brushless motors are hand wound when in the past stocks were machine wound and mods were hand wound. Also what are the performance differences in brushless if a brushless motor is machine wound. Also would there be a huge cost savings.

Are you certain ALL brushless motors, even the stuff from China like Castle's stuff and Hobbywings are hand-wound?

If that's the case, it can just be a classic economic issue. It might be that at the volume and the contract that these manufacturers have, manual/hand wound motors are cheaper than to setup an automation.

Full automation can be setup for any step to make our simple toys...

Have you guys seen full automation on very complicated things like full-sized automobiles? They have very intricate automations on those because of simple economics for the volume and amount of money they spend on labor.

But it's similar to agriculture in California. There's no push to automate it as much across the board because there is a huge pool of cheap labor...

Automation will eventually come back with a return on the investment, but from a cost point of view, how long does it take for this return of investment to come back? How much effort and risk did it take? Etc...
Old 12-17-2009, 06:08 PM   #17
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

The reason we still hand wind all of our BL motors is related to copper fill and consistency from motor to motor. The US sourced wire we use has a larger diameter with a higher copper fill than the motor wires from China that we have examined.

"Early on (5800), Adnan (Novak's motor designer of the original 540 sensored, BL motor and our new Ballistic series) investigated the possibility of designing custom tooling for machine-winding our motors. But, the consistency was not acceptable.

It might be cheaper and far less labor-intensive to offer machine wound motors, but customer satisfaction would probably diminish. Brushless motors offer racers a low maintenance, long lasting product worth the original investment.

The new spec wind BL motors are no faster than they have ever been; it's the escs that increase the speed. Eliminate advanced timing speed control adjustments and the entry-level track speeds will be manageable, once again."

Good information... Thanks for the explanation.
Old 12-17-2009, 06:12 PM   #18
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I want to add though, with a skillful operator, there's no comparison to attention to detail on winding motors from a person rather than a machine wound one...

I know back in brushed days, a good motor winder (is that an appropriate adjective?), knew how to wind motors that would come out much tighter and much more cleaner than a machine wound one...

But the cost of it was just ridiculous for the average, club racer...

Nowadays, $50-$80 for a brushless is a great deal... Provided the bearings don't blow out or the sensor port doesn't become FUBAR.
Old 12-17-2009, 06:27 PM   #19
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to PitNamedGordie Send a message via Yahoo to PitNamedGordie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_chang79 View Post
Are you certain ALL brushless motors, even the stuff from China like Castle's stuff and Hobbywings are hand-wound?
Good point...no I am not. And the Hobbywings motor can be had for like $40 I believe. So maybe they are machine wound.

As for the ROI for automation...who knows. But if it's you can make the proper profit margins hand winding motors why lay out the capital trying to automate.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:56 PM   #20
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

you sir, get the "hey I started a thread and stuck to the subject award"

as a bonus, you also get the " hey, I actually got a answer" award

release the dog now.
Old 12-17-2009, 11:05 PM   #21
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to PitNamedGordie Send a message via Yahoo to PitNamedGordie

Quote:
Originally Posted by skypilot View Post
you sir, get the "hey I started a thread and stuck to the subject award"

as a bonus, you also get the " hey, I actually got a answer" award

release the dog now.
LOL Thanks

It wasn't easy...I think I spent half of my work day posting on here LOL

Dog has been released...