R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-12-2004, 02:56 AM   #121
R/C Tech Founder
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Yea, Snowbirds was an exercise in sleep deprivation. I had all these plans to get around town a bit while I was there, and I barely left the hotel. I'll just keep telling myself that I'll do better in that department next year...
Old 03-12-2004, 10:12 AM   #122
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Shane.. LOL.. I here ya. After a race weekend like that it takes me two weeks to recover.. This time going to disney the next day was hard but well worth it....

Mike
Old 03-12-2004, 10:20 AM   #123
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Mike,

I believe you are mainly focused on electric whether it is 1/12 or TC. Have you considered running nitro classes?

Just wondering how tight you set your diff in your TC3?.
Da4head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 10:27 AM   #124
Tech Adept

Default Diff. Question?

Mike,

I was wondering what outdrives you use on your car. The stock ones or aluminum ones. Also how tight do you have them for a carpet setup? I usually run stock but i put a 19t in and ran that for a weekend and I was melting the D-ring into the plastic outdrives. I didn't have that problem with the stock motor.
29Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 10:32 AM   #125
Tech Addict

Da4head.. I used to run alot of gas.. I will be racing the nat's this year in toledo. I ran the nat's in cincinatti a few years back.. I should be getting a car in about 2 or 3 weeks to start getting ready for club racing in toledo....

29Dennis and Da4head.... For my diff i use IRS aluminum diffs. I usually tighten them all the way down then back off about a 1/4 turn or alittle more. Not to tight but not too loose to slip.. I run my front diff tighter then my rear diff.. As for melting the plastic diff's you may have had them too loose.. The reason we do not run them is when they get hot they can loosen or tighten. With 8 turns they also sometimes wear out too fast...

Mike
Old 03-12-2004, 08:25 PM   #126
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kave

mike you seem to be the king of mod thsee days so i got a q for you or anyoen eles, ive been running stock for awile and thsi weekend im going to run mod at a differnt track i race at, what are some of the things you have to do differnet setup wise or radio wise or motor wise? just trying to get some kind of jump start on the setup thing. Anyone can answer this pealse do
Kave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2004, 11:48 PM   #127
R/C Tech Founder
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

This may not be true for the pros, but I can tell you the best advice I ever got when I first ran mod indoors on a tight track (when I had never run anything but stock before).

When you enter a technical part of the track, try not to jump on and off the throttle as you would with a stock motor; because of the torque of a modified, the car kind of "jumps" from spot to spot and it will be much harder to drive for a first timer. If you go off/on/off you will end up being slower than if you kept it at about 50% the whole way, increasing in the spots you can but keeping the car moving. It might seem slower in parts but I think overall you'll be faster, and it will help you to get a feel for the power of the mod without blasting your car into a wall.

As you get more comfortable with the higher speed, you can start being more aggressive, and of course depending a lot on the car's setup and track conditions.

I'm sure Mike or someone else can give even better pointers, but when I first drove mod, that helped me out.
Old 03-13-2004, 07:48 AM   #128
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff Werner

Mike- that is cool news about running some nitro. Would love to hear about the NTC3 and your setup thoughts when you get to racing it...just getting into nitro myself this summer and the NTC3 will be my choice...keep us informed.

Thanks

Jeff
Jeff Werner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2004, 09:39 AM   #129
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to THeGame

Mike what time does the gate open on Sunday ?

were leaving like at 5am... see you there.....

Brandon...
THeGame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 06:58 AM   #130
Tech Addict

Jeff.. No problem.... Will be fun . Any thing i learn i will share on here...

Brandon.. Guess you figured out what time :-) Sorry.. Was there practicing...

pballkid21587.. For me when going from stock to mod. I need to make the car alittle more aggressive. also i do not change any speed controls settings or anything like that. Futureal is right about the approach also. Just try and find your right style and keep practicing. My belief is if you can get the mod car around good in practice you will be much better when you race stock....

Mike
Old 03-15-2004, 07:35 AM   #131
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Mike- For sedan racing which type of front diff do you mostly go with?? Regular diff, spool, or oneway? We run mostly oneways out at speedworld but I've been told that spools are just as fast but to me they seem harder to drive. Thanks in advance for your answer.
Old 03-15-2004, 07:49 AM   #132
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to trackdesigner71 Send a message via Yahoo to trackdesigner71

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Blackstock
trackdesigner71.. Looks good.. I have no idea what associated's plans are for races for next year, So we will have to wait and see... As for the worlds . I will be there. Chances? Well if my car is good the sky is the limit for anyone in the top 30 i think....No idea what the track is like other then big and outdoors ;-)

Mike
That's cool Mike. Would you personally like to come? Im hopin to get a bunch of factory guys together for a pan car "invitational class", possibly with brushless motors. How does that sound to you?
trackdesigner71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 11:52 AM   #133
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rayhuang
Default Helios

Mike-just FYI-I talked to KO this morning and they knew exactly whats going on-I'll tell at track this Sunday. Thanks for all the troubleshooting help Saturday-but in the end-there was nothing we could have done.

Ray
rayhuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 06:42 PM   #134
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Brandon Melton

Mike- For your ackerman set-up, it notes that you use the silver ball stud. I have two different ones. Do you use the short neck or long neck ball stud with the .080? I used alot of your set-up this weekend at a State race and I was pretty pleased with it. I was hesitant to try it because I thought I might find it too soft in the front (I had never run less than yellow). Have you found anything new that you like on the car while practicing at the gate recently. Thanks for helping us out and sharing your info with us.
Old 03-15-2004, 07:46 PM   #135
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to THeGame

you got pm Mike.....
THeGame is offline   Reply With Quote