R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-23-2005, 03:39 PM   #796
Tech Adept

Location: San Marcos/San Antonio, Tx but chillin in Orlando, FL for now.
Send a message via AIM to MikeDeadly

Mike, Could you go over what you do do with your batteries then. I mainly race stock and would like a perspective from a pro as to battery maint. and storage.
THanks

--Mike
MikeDeadly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 04:08 PM   #797
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

For anyone else that wants to know

Mike Blackstock's 2005 Snowbirds Setup
Old 02-23-2005, 09:06 PM   #798
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

newbee_racer.. Thanks for the kind words.. I am only here to try and help the best i can.... as for me running novak.. Well i was under contract with them before i moved to associated and have had a VERY GOOD relationship with them for over 12 years now.. So all in all why screw up a good thing..... The novak GTX is my choice of speedcontrol and can not say there is anything above and beyond better out there....

\

MikeDeadly... SURE.... Here is my process for racing and maintaining my batt's ,,, I usually put them on a novak discharge tray to .9 a cell before i charge them the get all the cells equalized then charge @ 6 amps for touring and 5.0 for 1/12th scale with a .02 cut off or make sure the pack do's not go over 120 degree's this is crucial in my opinion.. Then i peak once at the same amps making sure not to go above the 120 Degree mark once again..If my pack gets done withine 5 minutes before i race i do not peak ..... since this will get the battery's too hot unless they are well under 120 .... After i am done running them i discharge to 1volt a cell and put them away till the next time i run wich is usally once a week for each pack.. I have had little if any drop in runtime whiles the voltage has increased some... Hope this helps....

Jack Smash.. Thanks... I did not see that they posted it... I know it is alittle wierd from the normal setups of the past. But i feel like this is going in the right direction.. The car is very easy to drive and very stable.. Hope you all enjoy.. This will be the setup i start with at the nationals at hobby chamber , as i continue to learn the car....

Mike
Old 02-23-2005, 09:47 PM   #799
Tech Fanatic

Hi Mike.....I posted this on the 1/12 scale thread but did not find many plasable answers for this dilema. Thought I'd fire it across your bow......

About a hundred or so pages ago, I posted a problem I was having with my 1/12 scale car, 12L3 on a asphalt track (SoCal).

Problem consisted of the car entering the turn well, but as it transisitions to the last third of the turn, it develops an substantial increase in oversteer, to the point that it snaps around. This occurs about the time you would begin to ease-off the steering to square the car up for the straight.

I somewhat corrected this thinking it was a diff problem, and running a very tight diff. Sometimes the car is good (matched Kinwalds mod sedan times for ten or so laps), and sometimes it does not correct it and I have to drive with a very light hand.

As of late, I have wondered if it was not the diff, but actually a pod/damper problem. I run a teflon disc on the damper with no oil or fluid.

My question to the 1/12 community is this: Does this problem sound like something you guys have run into or is this just the nature of this type of car?

I thought the oil would free up the damper, which sounded bad to me, but now I wonder if it actually increases the dampening?

Can anyone enlighten me on this?

.075 "T-bar".....3mm ride height, .1mm toe-out (went .1mm incraments from 1mm toe-in to 1mm toe-out, .1 mm out seems most consistant) 1.75 to 2.125 camber dependent on wear.

Current tires are pink front/white rear. I have run and prefer purple/grey, but the pink/white thing works.
Car is sound and tight with nothing binding.

4cell, usually a 7x1 or 8x1. There is virtually no 1/12 scale class here, so hard to find someone with answers.....
Graphitedust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 10:19 PM   #800
Tech Addict

Graphitedust... hmm sounds like the car is to reactive? how much caster ?? I would try more caster and maybe 5 degree blocks.....

This would help some... always run alitle toe-out... and try trinity red stuff on the front kingpins and dampners.....

also make sure front springs are not collapsed or have slop

Mike
Old 02-23-2005, 10:20 PM   #801
Tech Elite

I looked at the setup and found it surprisingly close to what I was running. You are running a softer bar with a stiffer spring on the front and about 20wt thicker oil with a softer spring than I was running. My car felt very good but was about .3 tenths a lap off of the x-rays. We arent weighing the cars for club races so I wonder how much that is helping them.
Old 02-23-2005, 10:41 PM   #802
Tech Addict

Jack Smash .. Good to know we are all going in the same direction... As for the weight.. well only time will tell i gues.. keep playing.. it is getting better ;-)
Old 02-24-2005, 10:41 AM   #803
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Exclamation Tc4 Oval Set up

Hi Mike,
I do not know if you have ever run oval or not. I have zero experience but purchased a new Tc4 to run in our state oval series. They have a sedan class. Is there ANYWAY you can help with set up for 6 cell, rubber tire, asphalt racing. I do not have a clue as far as set up. I was hoping if you dont know where to begin, you may know someone at AE who does. Noone currently runs the Tc4 in that class, they all run the Xray, Corally or Tc3.........Thanks.
Ginsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 12:13 PM   #804
Tech Rookie

Default Setup TC4

Hello Mike!

Congratulation to your 2nd place at Snowbirds in Orlando.
I come from austria and want to drive my new TC4 in sommer at austrian championchip (with 17x2 motor).
I have some questions.

1. In your setup sheet from Orlando I have seen that you have driven one shim under the circle arm and none under the triangle at the front suspension. Is this correct?

2. Do you drive with ceramic berarings and do you know if it is better to dirve with some?

3. I need a good starting setup for the new season outside. The tracks are asphalt tracks with medium traction. Can you help me?

Thanks atom99
atom99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 04:34 PM   #805
Tech Addict

mike....check your PM and shoot me an email.
Joneser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 04:35 PM   #806
Tech Apprentice

On the tc4 i saw that barry baker was using carbonfiber shock tower. Do you know where i can get some?
ms2005fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 04:46 PM   #807
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by ms2005fl
On the tc4 i saw that barry baker was using carbonfiber shock tower. Do you know where i can get some?

That was Homemade
PhatPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 04:54 PM   #808
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to squarehead Send a message via MSN to squarehead Send a message via Yahoo to squarehead Send a message via Skype™ to squarehead

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Blackstock
ApexSpeed... I am pretty positive they are out already.. here is the part # for them #3985

Just to let you guys know, the part number for this shock kit is a bag that contains two shocks and internal parts; not a complete set of 4 like the previsou TC threaded shock kit and no springs. The retail/sticker price for a complete set of these "hard anodized" shocks would be well over $80, and you still would need springs and oil. They are almost silver, they have such a weak hard anodized coating on them. Just thought no one else should be surprised when they get them, and still need two more.
squarehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 05:00 PM   #809
Tech Elite

Or you could buy 2 packages of 3990 at $19.99 each and have just the shock bodies.

note: this is not meant sarcastically, just informatively
Old 02-24-2005, 05:08 PM   #810
Tech Adept

Location: San Marcos/San Antonio, Tx but chillin in Orlando, FL for now.
Send a message via AIM to MikeDeadly

What is the difference between those and the regular blue ones that come with the TC4 kit? Besides color..... And what exactly is "hard annodized"? I thought the blue ones were hard anodized as well.

--Mike
MikeDeadly is offline   Reply With Quote