R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-08-2004, 03:35 PM   #346
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to JDXray

I know i am not mike but, moving the batteries closer to the shaft, makes the weight more to the center= more center of gravity.
JDXray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 04:29 PM   #347
Tech Rookie

Mike,
I think this is the most important question I'll ask from pro guys like you.
I find my self not improvin racewise Im on a slump, Im prepared to kick bad habits( drivin) .
If you were to advice a new guy and you know he will spend time and effort

1.what will be the best Practice advice you can give?

2. w/ regards to settin whats the fastest,surest way you check your tweak in the car

3. how do you go about checkin your car durin races,coz I know there is like a semi ritual you guys do

i notice this coz some guys learn faster than others and then there are some who know nothin about setup but has talents in drivin.

Last edited by Bon Ramat; 05-08-2004 at 06:42 PM.
Bon Ramat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 04:39 PM   #348
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to BigDogRacing

Quote:
Originally posted by JDXray
I know i am not mike but, moving the batteries closer to the shaft, makes the weight more to the center= more center of gravity.
Wrong. Changing the location of the batteries laterally doesn't change the center of gravity. It moves the weight closer to the center of rotation and therefore allows the weight to shift quicker. The center of gravity will still be the same hieght and the roll moment stays the same. Transition time is the benefit, but it's not always beneficial to our cars. Look at the Pro3- it had the batteries down the center but it didn't make it faster than any other cometitive sedan. In fact, from what I understad the car was hard to tune at a national level event. I think it's track record is a good indication.
BigDogRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 06:12 PM   #349
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to JDXray

thanks BigDogRacing, for clearing it up for the person and myself, my bad.
JDXray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 10:27 PM   #350
Tech Elite

NP JD, glad to be of help. Hope I didn't cut in on Mike's thread too much- he might hit me with a gold club!!! Well, that's not gonna happen either; I'm only 34yo so I'm not old enough to play golf
Old 05-09-2004, 02:41 PM   #351
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

set-up/motor...

what type of gear ratio and/or rollout would you use on a 9x2 4mag mod motor on a onroad track that is 185x100ft in dimensions.....not that technical.

we run foams...so wondering what's a better starting point....a indoor foam set-up like yours from recent races or a asphault rubber tire setup like b.bakers from the reedy race....didn't find any asphault foam tire set-ups on AE's site.

thanks in advance.
Old 05-10-2004, 09:53 AM   #352
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Blackstock
JohnB.. Try a .075 with trinity red stuff on dampner and the front king pins with .020 springs .. Sounds like your rear dampning might have been off.. Where you using the center screw ??? Run 40 wt in the center shock with the green or silver spring you might have been too soft.. purple front tires and pink rears or whites.... Try this .. Glad you like the pt...

Mike Blackstock
Hello. Had a great race Sat. night. The car was better with stiffer dampening, but still hopping a little. I think we've determined it's the track though. I'm not the only one with the problem. Even some sedans with aggresive drivers are having problems.
I ended up with 50 wt. oil, .075 T bar w/ 3 screws, purple fronts and gray rear and an old school front end. Most importantly was just driving VERY smooth. If I accelerated smooth out of the corner I could control the hop without hurting lap times to much.
It would get a little loose the last minute and my lap times would drop about .5 sec. Must be from such a stiff setup.

take care
john
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 09:11 PM   #353
Tech Addict

Bon Ramat..... As for advice. PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE.. Try running different setups as much as you can to learn what the car do's etc...

As for tweak . I set ride heights then set the tweak on the track. Then after i get it where i think it is correct. Then i will set it on a tweak board and see where it is then go back to that setting before each run....

Before the race i do not have a ritual . I just make sure the car feels balanced and not tweaked if possible. But nothing out of the ordinary...

Nexus.. For that motor on that size track try starting around 29-30 / 100 .. then go from there.. I would try a carpet setup for outdoors with foams. I think they will be closer to what you want then a rubber one...

JohnB.. Try running the exact setup you run with pink rears.. This will stop the traction from going away.. This seems to be all we run now...
Old 05-10-2004, 09:52 PM   #354
Tech Master

Mike (or anyone else): I'm getting my foot in the door of Mod-Foam-Carpet (I have the outdoor curse too) I got two sets of 37-40 shores with a package I just got...What spring combo would be a good starting point? I'm having trobule translating Jaco's color code into Shore #'s so I'd like a bit of imput from an experienced hand on what springs go with these tires, 40 wt oil on carpet...
The Black Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 12:25 AM   #355
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to fatbear
Default Mike you have a PM

Mike you have a PM from me.
JConcepts www.jconcepts.net
Ace Hobby Distributors www.acehobbyaustralia.com
fatbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 07:27 AM   #356
Tech Elite

Quote:
Before the race i do not have a ritual . I just make sure the car feels balanced and not tweaked if possible. But nothing out of the ordinary...
What about that thing you do where you sit indian style with your hands on your knees in a toga sheet while humming very low and touching your nose with the tip of your tongue?
Old 05-11-2004, 07:36 AM   #357
Tech Addict

The Black Kat.. Goto: http://www.rc10.com/racerhub/setup/0setups_onroad.htm Look for any of the carpet setups there and give one a try.. As for the tires i think a 37-40 shore is like a purple as long as it is not front rubber ... wich should be ok on the rear of the car but not the front.. For the front you will need a purple/orange or a double pink/orange tire anbd the rear we run double pinks or purples.. These are the codes that jaco use's..

BigDogRacing.. SHHHHH... LOL.. Now that is funny......

Mike
Old 05-11-2004, 08:36 AM   #358
Tech Master

Mike. Greetings from Malta.

Could you tell me what turn mod motors you guys were running at the Worlds warm up.

TC3s are still cleaning up out here despite almost being elligible for a pension.

Regards

Joe from sunny Malta.
johnbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 08:46 AM   #359
Tech Master

Quote:
The Black Kat.. Goto: http://www.rc10.com/racerhub/setup/0setups_onroad.htm Look for any of the carpet setups there and give one a try.. As for the tires i think a 37-40 shore is like a purple as long as it is not front rubber ... wich should be ok on the rear of the car but not the front.. For the front you will need a purple/orange or a double pink/orange tire anbd the rear we run double pinks or purples.. These are the codes that jaco use's..
You guys use dual compound fronts? I just use discount rack TRC's (the old kind that come in a tube, its within budget at $6.99 a pair)

I'll start with Purple/Copper & work my way from there
The Black Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 09:05 AM   #360
Tech Addict

johnbull .. we were using 8X2 doubles... Glad the car is working so good for you there still...

The Black Kat .. Yea we do use combo fronts.. It makes the car drive so much easier then running with purple fronts...

See ya

Mike