R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-06-2004, 05:27 PM   #226
R/C Tech Founder
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

You can find many of Mike's set ups on www.teamassociated.com I believe. I've seen them there before.

Mike, have you experimented with adding spacers underneath the shock towers for foam tire racing? It looks like it would lower the roll center of that side of the car, but reduce the camber gain as well. Is that correct?
Old 04-06-2004, 06:02 PM   #227
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Mike or someone else, can you give me a metric size for the washer/spacer your using to setup your ackerman? Are you using the silver ballcups similar to the ones used in the steering blocks?
berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 01:04 AM   #228
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by iamramos
Is there a common place where you post setups, Mike?
What up dawg?!
James Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 10:12 AM   #229
Tech Addict

Most of the setups we run can be found at www.teamassociated.com I try some different stuff from time to time i will post it here...

BERGER... I use a old t-bar and cut it to go accross the rack.. It is .075 thick... Then i use the Silver ball wich is .030 taller then the black ball end... Yes this is the steering block one...

Futureal.. We did this at some of the tracks this year when the car was lifting up. It would help that alot...

Mike
Old 04-07-2004, 10:19 AM   #230
Tech Adept

Mike,

Locally we run foam tires on asphalt, there aren't many setups for the TC3 using foam tires outdoors. What spring and shock oil/piston combination would you try? I know I need to be softer than the carpet setups just not sure how much softer.
Ozwald Bates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 02:14 PM   #231
Tech Adept

what-up foo
iamramos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 02:53 PM   #232
Tech Addict

Ozwald Bates.. Actually i ran outdoors once with foams and used real close to my carpet nat's setup... Alittle more caster but that was it and she rocked that day. Give it a try...

Mike
Old 04-07-2004, 03:14 PM   #233
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to stormperson

Mike- What does spacing the ballstuds out more accomplish by changing the ackerman? thanks!
stormperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 05:28 PM   #234
Tech Addict

stormperson... It is changing the ackerman to less.. I think gives the car a more aggressive feel...

Mike
Old 04-07-2004, 05:54 PM   #235
Tech Master

Mike...Wish I could ask whats been goin on since we last met, but we haven't met. What better time/place to fix that?

I've always wanted to be a racecar driver but that dream will not happen due to the lack of support (psyciologically and economically) from family and friends because I let them get into my head and force me to give up on that dream. Anyway, I honestly want to get into the R/C industry as a carrer. Preferrably working for Team Associated as a factory team driver. I was wondering if you can tell me some real specifics on the wheelman job, just anything you think I should know before I start chasing my new-found glory. I don't mind the pay (as long as its enough to buy myself meals and R/C stuff needed) because I'd rather be happy and competeing in the R/C circuit until I die than doing some job I don't like & having to retire....
The Black Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 05:59 PM   #236
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 32 (97%+)
Default the reedy

hey mike, how did you like the DIGGITY DESIGNS shaft i gave you at the nats in cleveland? it definately puts youre rotating mass on a diet. anyway, i run a warpspeed TC3, i got my car dialed at the end of the roar onroad nats, but want to run the reedy race, im mostly running youre setup from the april 04 rc car action mag, what would you change for the reedy, seeing that its rubber tires, right? i believe they are controlled tire, takeoffs?

thanx for the help mike,
john mcintosh
Apl Hed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 06:04 PM   #237
Tech Master

Default Re: the reedy

Quote:
Originally posted by Apl Hed
seeing that its rubber tires, right? i believe they are controlled tire, takeoffs?
Take-off 27's all around.
The Black Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 08:20 PM   #238
Tech Initiate

1/12th Tires

Mike,

Just pre-ordered a 12L4 What tires would you recomend for stock motor, medium bite carpet? Track is small and tight. (www.grcsr.com for picture)

I was talking to Danny of SMC on the weekend and we were thinking purple front with either white or pink rear.

Also I see you run the IRS pod plates. How small can you go tires on the stock pod? (I don't want to change right away!!)

Thanks,
Phil Matthews
pilmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 09:07 PM   #239
Tech Addict

The Black Kat.. Where do you race at?? AS far as the job in r/c racing.. Well to be honest the thing you need to do is get noticed. Once there then try and prove your self either in racing or design wich ever way makes you happy.. Just keep practicing and go to some of the bigger races .... I am one of the lucky one's in this industry. If it was not for my wife i would not be doing this and probably selling cars somewhere. also ,When i am not on the road racing somewhere i get to stay home with my son who will be 2 in may.. So right now i am the luckiest guy around....

Apl Hed .. Hey man .. i like the parts, Have not had time to run them yet. Still recovering from the nat's... As for outdoors, I would go get Barry's setups off the associated web site www.teamassociated.com That will give you a starting point. Carpet is a totally different animal then outdoors as far as setup so check it out.. That is where i always start....

pilmat ..... Awesome on the 12L4 For tires i would use either purple front grey or white rears depending on traction. IF the traction go's away too much with them then try pinks as a last resort. Also if you are not getting enough steering do not hesitate to put double pink fronts on the car for more steering if the purples are not enough. I know at the nat's my buddy running stock had to go to grey's and double pink fronts to get his car to rotate enough...

As for the IRS plates. I run my tires no lower then 1.80 in the rear . I am sure you can below that easy ... probably 1.75 or something. I recommend this though 1.72 front and 1.88 rear for club racing. Big race's i run 1.70 fronts and 1.85 rears...

Hope this helps

Mike Blackstock
Old 04-07-2004, 09:10 PM   #240
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 32 (97%+)

thanx mike, ill check it out.

L8R
Apl Hed is offline   Reply With Quote