R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-17-2004, 07:46 AM   #151
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

davepull... Novak profile.. I have done lot's of testing and 5 has the best feel as far as punch and top end. Pay no attention to the oval tag. The speedo has no idea where it is :-)

As for your car. You can do a few things. Heavier front oil,Less caster, Less camber .. I would first try and thicken up the front oil some and try that, also if you have your ride height set alittle lower in the front then rear make that level that will help take some turn in out of it ...

robk .. Here is what i do. I true my tires down to 2.27 to start then run them once during practice and if everything feels good.. I put them away until Qualifying. I think a tire that has been run once is a ton better then a new one.. But there are some tracks that new skins are faster, I would make sure i save a couple set's just incase. One way to tell this is, When the bite comes way up try scrubbing in a set and take note how it is from the start to the end and then make your determination... Also when i do break my tires in i always wait until the 2nd day of practice when the track is at it highest level of grip....

P2.. Sometimes doing that with the droop will be exaclty what you said but i have seen times that it takes out steering entering the corner.. I guess just play with your type of track.. As for the novak look up on what i posted there.. Thanks for the response...

Mike
Old 03-17-2004, 08:01 AM   #152
Tech Adept

Hi Mike,

Hope that you, Vicky and Dominic are doing great.

On your TC are you using the IRS dog bones with the pin cushions or the standard with out the cushions with the IRS diff halves? Steve told me to try putting some spacers under the front and rear shock towers. But he did not really tell what it will do to the car. Do you adjust the drop to compensate for the spacers?

Thanks, Lee

P.S. Good luck at Nats.
Old 03-17-2004, 06:28 PM   #153
Tech Rookie

Any suggestions for a good stock-class setup starting point? Alot of the setups out there are done with mod motors and I'm not sure what effect a mod motor would have to setup vs. stock motor.

I've heard that Barry's Reedy setup is a good starting point (I'm still not sure which Reedy race as there was Reedy Race of Asia and the Reedy Race of Champions).

I'm currently racing stock motor w/rubber tires on asphalt.

Thanks.
SciFi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 06:52 PM   #154
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default Front arm mounts

Hey Mike

Do you know if Associated is planning on making mounts that provide Anti-dive for the front?? I think this adjustment is becoming more popular with the carpet racers. Also, any plans for 6 degree caster blocks? I have been running -2 front mounts and I think I need more caster so I have to buy Losi blocks. Thanks for your help. See you at the track Sunday. Chris
ccm399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 08:38 PM   #155
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to THeGame

THeGame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 08:40 PM   #156
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to THeGame

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Blackstock
Brian McGreevy.... I run profile 5.. I never change it for stock or mod....

Mike

I'm liking profile #5.. Thanks for the Info... How about for 12 scale Mod what do you use ??

Thanks
Brandon...
THeGame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 06:55 AM   #157
Tech Addict

LeeS.. Hey man how ya doing ?? I use the IRS with the pin cushions.... As for the spacers all you are doing is moving the camber link roll center . IT seems to help the car stay flatter i do not feel like it gives me anymore steering just do's not have a tendency to be so tippy, No the droop will be the same but you will have to adjust the shocks to get the right ride height

SciFi... I think that most of the setup's for mod will work in stock with some minor adjustments. Since i do not run that much stock let alone rubber tires that much, I would start with barry's setup from the reedy race last year. This is a awesome setup and pretty much what we have been running for the last couple years. Wish i could help you more..

ccm399... I am not sure of there plans. But they are aware of what is going on . So we will have to wait and see ....

THeGame.. I run the same thing for 1/12th scale.. Profile 5 is the best all around for me....

Mike
Old 03-18-2004, 07:14 AM   #158
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Thanks

Mike,
For a driver of your caliber, we really appreciate your time answering all our questions, your tips and suggestions.

We know you are busy with so many stuff.

Hope you keep it up!

More power and God Bless!!

Lem

do you also run Offroad?
lem2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 07:35 AM   #159
Tech Addict

Lem2..... Thanks for the kind words.. I will try my best to help.. As for offroad. I did that about 10 years ago.. I just did not like it that much ,but i did run it and was ok at it. But if i ever wanted to get to the next level i needed to learn and practice for about a year straight to get everything figured out...

Mike
Old 03-18-2004, 06:38 PM   #160
Tech Rookie

Mike,

Thanks for the suggestion. I think I'm going to do that and see where I stand after using that setup. My last question is which Reedy race setup from last year? There's the Reedy race of champions and the Reedy race of Asia. Both are pretty similar but there are some differences.

Thanks again!
SciFi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 06:52 PM   #161
Tech Master

Mike can you give us an explination of what the affects of pro-squat in the rear and negative kickup or zero kickup in the front do? And how to use both of these pertaining to tunning. And what conditions to use either.

Thanks, Speedie
Old 03-19-2004, 12:31 AM   #162
Tech Regular

Mike,

I have a couple questions that hopefully, have not been asked before. If they have, I apologize.

1) What kind of work do you do to a brand new kit? I'm specifically interested in any diff housing work (blueprinting?), as well as gear and bearing prep (do you remove the shields and soak em? etc?)

2) After looking over your Snowbirds setup, it looks as though you have the suspension relatively tight. What overall "feel" were you trying to achieve with this setup and why? What track features influenced the setup?

3) What are your feelings on diffs vs 1 ways vs solid axels?

Thanks a lot for taking time to help out. Again, I apologize if these questions have been asked and answered before, but I'm just getting back into this hobby after an 11 year hiatus, and am a sponge for info at this point.
Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2004, 09:00 AM   #163
Tech Elite

How do you measure your Droop settings ? Thank for the help.
Chris Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 12:23 PM   #164
Tech Master

Last edited by davidl; 03-21-2004 at 04:49 PM.
davidl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 12:23 PM   #165
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Yes, that's right David.. he had pleanty of battery left, as he was doing doughnuts after the run checking the cars handeling...
Greg Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote