R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-04-2012, 03:57 PM   #151
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Smile

I run on high bite carpet, and lower roll centers works flawlessly in my tc4's.... I even hit dots while turning with no traction roll ! Each vehicle has their own magic setup for a specific driver and track condition, and it's up to you to find it....
bertrandsv87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:22 PM   #152
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertrandsv87 View Post
I run on high bite carpet, and lower roll centers works flawlessly in my tc4's.... I even hit dots while turning with no traction roll ! Each vehicle has their own magic setup for a specific driver and track condition, and it's up to you to find it....
You definitely nailed that one. Set ups for individual driving style are very important.

I will lower my roll centers when track temps are up and traction is a little down. It really does help keep the car planted. Our spec tires are very sensitive to temperature and believe it or not I usually have a problem with them being too cold. Raising the roll center will add mechanical traction from the tires so they run a little hotter and grip better.If they are overheating I will lower the roll center to help cool them off. Amazing what 0.5 mm can do to these cars.
Serpent S120 13.5
6376vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 07:13 AM   #153
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Quote:
Although the theory is correct, there is nothing flawless about your TC4s handling on carpet.
Old 06-05-2012, 11:12 AM   #154
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

Ok, I'm totally confused. What is traction roll? I thought it refers to sliding out of either the front or the rear. I would assume it's usually the rear that slide out at the corner that most people have problem with. OR is it that the car flips over because of G-force at the corner?? Am I wrong? If so, please correct me.

Here's my tract condition: well paved parking lot but grip is loose. It's not like having a lot of small rocks cuz the guy who runs the track blows out the track pretty well but still a lot looser than regular asphalt track(the ones that was set up strictly for RC racing). I would say the traction is medium to low.

My situation: I have T3 and it slips out on the rear from time to time. And it seems to have on power understeer. So if I'm correct on the definition of traction roll(slipping out), how should I make changes? Here's my set up:
1. Solid axle in the front, gear diff in the rear
2. Anti roll bar 1.4 in front, 1.2 in rear
3. 36 muchmore tires
4. Shock oil 350 in all four
5. Black springs
6. Front toe +1, rear -3
7. Camber -2 in front, -1.5 in the rear
8. I have every single bolts in place in upper deck except the middle one with tower.
9. Downstops: 6 in front and 5 in rear.
10. Right height: 5 in front, 5.2 in rear
11. FDR is currently at 4.03. Thinking of decreasing it to 3.8 since my competitors(I usually finish w/i the top 4) are faster on the drag racing for some reasons.

Thanks!
snuvet75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 11:24 AM   #155
Tech Master

Traction rolling refers to the car flipping over in the corner and barrel rolling. Sliding out is usually termed "loose" or "oversteer."

On power understeering - try less front droop. Could also try a lower front roll center, but this may exacerbate your sporadic oversteering.

RC Excitement: Fitchburg, MA | RC Madness: Enfield, CT | Horsham RC
samnelso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 02:49 PM   #156
Suspended

Mikexray, you should have witnessed how my tc4 handled at the january 8th race Cmain, and you would understand why I say it's handling flawlessly now. I was flipping constantly!!! I even developed a specific roll and punch so I wouldn't lose too much time and get that 3rd place trophy... Now I feel confident enough to make expert in a few practice sessions, right on Coach's tail.......
Old 06-05-2012, 03:08 PM   #157
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by snuvet75 View Post
Ok, I'm totally confused. What is traction roll? I thought it refers to sliding out of either the front or the rear. I would assume it's usually the rear that slide out at the corner that most people have problem with. OR is it that the car flips over because of G-force at the corner?? Am I wrong? If so, please correct me.

Here's my tract condition: well paved parking lot but grip is loose. It's not like having a lot of small rocks cuz the guy who runs the track blows out the track pretty well but still a lot looser than regular asphalt track(the ones that was set up strictly for RC racing). I would say the traction is medium to low.

My situation: I have T3 and it slips out on the rear from time to time. And it seems to have on power understeer. So if I'm correct on the definition of traction roll(slipping out), how should I make changes? Here's my set up:
3. 36 muchmore tires
5. Black springs
6. Front toe +1, rear -3
8. I have every single bolts in place in upper deck except the middle one with tower.
11. FDR is currently at 4.03. Thinking of decreasing it to 3.8 since my competitors(I usually finish w/i the top 4) are faster on the drag racing for some reasons.

Thanks!
Couple quick things, first off figure out what springs, there are a few "black" springs, they have a number etched on them. I have found softer springs like 2.6F/2.4R is good in low bite.
Do you have to run 36 MM tires? if its not super hot, 32's or 28s would be a lot better.
Old 06-05-2012, 03:10 PM   #158
Tech Champion

Quote:
Mikexray, you should have witnessed how my tc4 handled at the january 8th race Cmain, and you would understand why I say it's handling flawlessly now. I was flipping constantly!!! I even developed a specific roll and punch so I wouldn't lose too much time and get that 3rd place trophy... Now I feel confident enough to make expert in a few practice sessions, right on Coach's tail.......
I'm going to guess that your car is still too stiff, or no one told you to glue your sidewalls
Old 06-05-2012, 06:21 PM   #159
Suspended

My tc4 does not tration roll anymore at the speed I use to run before, but I have not tested it yet at expert class speed.... That will be next season's challenge.....
Old 06-05-2012, 06:27 PM   #160
Suspended

Smile

By the way, if I keep beating anymore Xray's with my tc4, I would have proven my point, that the tc4 is still competitive... Can't wait for next carpet season......
Old 06-05-2012, 06:32 PM   #161
Tech Master
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Quote:
By the way, if I keep beating anymore Xray's with my tc4, I would have proven my point, that the tc4 is still competitive... Can't wait for next carpet season......
Isn't that a great feeling.

I race toy cars for fun. If I need to explain, you'll never understand.
jdeadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 06:51 PM   #162
Suspended

You nailed it Jd !!!!
Old 06-05-2012, 07:11 PM   #163
Tech Champion

Quote:
LOL, yup xray's that can't go down the straight without hitting the boards.

Maybe you should have chosen the "red" pill.
Old 06-05-2012, 10:04 PM   #164
Suspended

Smile

They still Xray's Mike with alot more practice time then me ! If I up my practice time, I'll be ahead of M. Haynes ...lol... Not bad for a tc4 RTR 90grams overweight, unbalanced, and tweaked...... I ran it only One day with the 17.5t brushless, and started leaving folks behind in droves until I crashed.... I am not a good driver by any means, so it must be the shaft drive advantage...Hope to race (pass)you next season.....
Old 06-07-2012, 10:35 AM   #165
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to silverhkswrx Send a message via Skype™ to silverhkswrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by snuvet75 View Post

3. 36 muchmore tires
5. Black springs
6. Front toe +1, rear -3

Thanks!
Try lowering it. I stick to 4mm front and rear, and as described earlier, what "black" springs? Id stick to HPI silver or the MR33 reds(If you can find them...) theyre supposedly the same weight.

http://www.tamiya.com/english/rc/manuals.htm
silverhkswrx is offline   Reply With Quote