Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tamiya Long Arm Suspension Set

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2002, 08:03 PM
Tech Regular

Default Tamiya Long Arm Suspension Set

Anyone know what this does (I know it makes the car handle better, but how?)? I'm mainly just interested in suspension arm lengths... how does this affect handling?
Old 03-06-2002, 10:38 PM
Tech Master

it has longer suspension arms and shorter hub carriers, changes the whole geometry of the suspension
Old 03-06-2002, 10:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 82 (100%+)

in TCS, most TL01 racers have long suspension arms and i guess they can carry more speed in the corners. they are more stable bec of the wider track. the long arm kit also includes swaybars and maybe this makes the car handle better.

purplepro3, jericsm, rnold - any inputs? you have TL01's with long suspension arms, right?
Old 03-06-2002, 11:03 PM
Tech Regular

Ok, but is it "the longer the suspension arms, the better" or is there an 'optimum,' a compromise between two things? Does0 there exist a downside to longer suspension arms?
Old 03-07-2002, 02:43 AM
Tech Apprentice

i'm not too sure about the effects of a longer suspension arm. the hub carriers are more inboard and the pivot points are virtually the same as the original arms.

in theory about suspension arms IN GENERAL, the longer suspension arms the better, IF it increases the track of your car. What is also important is the difference in length between the upper camber link and the arm itself. The bigger the difference, the the camber intake as the suspension is compressed. This is bad, you would want this effect to be minimized.

what the long suspension arm set from Tamiya gave me is a slop free suspension and all the hop-ups that i would have had to buy one piece at a time (stailess steel suspension shafts, adjustable camber links, adjustable tie-rods and front and rear sway bars), in one complete package at a lower price.

Last edited by jericsm; 03-07-2002 at 05:09 AM.
Old 03-07-2002, 04:17 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

The tamiya long suspension arms clearly states on the side of its bag that : Will not change track of the car. W/c means that your car wont get any wider. The longer arms allows a better shock response. You can mount your shocks at a bigger angle w/c gives you more progressive steering. And it also gives the car more bite and less steering slop