Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-14-2009, 02:11 PM   #106
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)
Wink

What up Mo???
[and Tim!!!]

we be haven fun & sh*t down here in almost heaven WV

whats REALLY funny is I actually broke out the lathe/dyno/ect & did a brushed motor for a friend

WAY TOO KOOL!!!
ROAR member #5-120259
www.speedybillsrc.com
www.ovrccc.com
Sweep Racing Tires
speedybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 02:14 PM   #107
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy_Pike View Post

My personal opinion is to look into real racing. This is the time for ROAR to step up and force faster drivers to run faster classes. Start tracking the who's who and make sure they're in the right classes.
you mean like how NASCAR won't allow WINSTON CUP drivers to drive in the BUSCH series or the CRAFTSMAN TRUCK series, you mean like that kind of 'real' racing.
Old 12-14-2009, 02:25 PM   #108
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by or8ital View Post
The funny thing is the people who want "spec" and everything to be the "same" are probably the same people sitting in their work rooms water dipping motors, polishing bushings, etc. They just want everyone ELSE to be equal.

Just have fun racing your toy cars. When you stop comparing yourself to others and just worry about improving your own times you will be amazed how much closer to the fast guys you get. All without spending anymore money.

whoa!!!

How the HECK am I supposed to make any $$$ if ya-all don't go faster & tear crap up huh????

OKAY
Seriously, I actually am using another motor than I did on asphalt, but I never ran it over 130*, and on carpet not over 110* but if I had been running a 27t [or 19t] I would have been trueing comms ect, ect for EVER!!!
mostly cause I almost NEVER miss a race!!

with brushless I have seen some of racers [Clair Snyder] run the same motor [a 4300 Novak] for over 3 yrs with NO maintance, and sold it & itz STILL running!!

Yeah even today compared to 2yrs ago the 17.5 is faster than 13.5s were, WHY???
technology
yeah it costs some $$ but the longivity [OMC excluded] is well worth the extra $$$

FASTER?? oh HELL yes I hope so!!

AND NO!! I ain't no SS driver, I ain't spunsored, and I suck but boy do I have fun hackin the better/faster drivers when they TRY to pass me LOL!!!

Speedy Bill [windy as EVER]
ROAR member #5-120259
www.speedybillsrc.com
www.ovrccc.com
Sweep Racing Tires
speedybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 02:31 PM   #109
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Cherry View Post
I know you too ....

4 cheeseburgers & a extra large fry ...

Why does a Sedan racer who is experience and has mass skills think they have to use a 3.5 to race mod when a slower motor just may be best for them and the track ?

Mod is any motor you choose , so if your faster with a 17.5 ?

Power to yeah ...
really george, is that why when i suggested that some of the drivers running 'stock' with 13.5 would actually be faster with a 17.5 you disagreed and stated." you will always go faster with a faster motor".

glad to see your finally on board with this post.
Old 12-14-2009, 02:35 PM   #110
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedybill View Post
whoa!!!

How the HECK am I supposed to make any $$$ if ya-all don't go faster & tear crap up huh????

oops I meant there are 3 ways to get better. Here they are in increasing order of improvement:

1. Practice
2. Buy new/better stuff from SpeedyBill
3. Buy new/better stuff from SpeedyBill and Practice

or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 06:34 PM   #111
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaddyswank View Post
The absolute lack of insight on both of your posts is quite astonishing.

Let me answer your question as to why people don't move up to mod in Region 1, or most indoor tracks around America. First of all, size of indoor tracks don't lend themselves to mod. Are you really going to competitively run sedans and 12th scale cars in mod with a 75 foot straightaway ( or less) and 6 foot lanes with todays technology? Its like driving a Ferrari in a gymnasium.

If your outdoors on a 150 foot plus track with wide open lanes, then running 13.5 or 17.5 is quite retarded.

Bottom line, if your local club cant support mod, its pretty unreasonable to expect this big leap to mod unless mod itself, perhaps all cars in general, are slowed down.
And who's fault is that? Who's fault is it that cars got so fast that no one wants to run them any more? Now all the fast drivers who don't want to run mod move down to stock, and literally push the hobby level racer right out the door. A guy who busts his ass all week, looking to blow off some steam racing RC cars, do you really think he wants to spend 4 hours cutting comms???

Now it's even worse, with speed controls costing more than the average 1/12 scale car. And with the economy in the crapper, who wants to do this any more? Show me how any of this is worth it!!!!!
jiml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 06:52 PM   #112
Tech Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by skypilot View Post
really george, is that why when i suggested that some of the drivers running 'stock' with 13.5 would actually be faster with a 17.5 you disagreed and stated." you will always go faster with a faster motor".

glad to see your finally on board with this post.

Not !

anybody knows a 13.5 is way faster than a 17.5......

Gosh! Any decent racer knows its way easier to go faster with a faster motor..

So go sink your local Sedan program by winning stock turtle
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 07:40 PM   #113
Tech Champion

sorry george, no back tracking now.

I guess that explains why 70% of the mod class runs 10.5's at your track with only a few brave souls running 7.5s yea cause its easier.
Old 12-14-2009, 07:44 PM   #114
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiml View Post
And who's fault is that? Who's fault is it that cars got so fast that no one wants to run them any more? Now all the fast drivers who don't want to run mod move down to stock, and literally push the hobby level racer right out the door. A guy who busts his ass all week, looking to blow off some steam racing RC cars, do you really think he wants to spend 4 hours cutting comms???

Now it's even worse, with speed controls costing more than the average 1/12 scale car. And with the economy in the crapper, who wants to do this any more? Show me how any of this is worth it!!!!!
I'm not exactly sure what you mean. Most clubs I have been to support each other and encourage beginners, so whatever equipment they do have, we all try to make sure they get the best out of it.

Fast drivers, believe it or not, actually have jobs and families and look forward to blowing off steam by racing their toy cars, just like new folks entering the hobby.

I see you rant about this in every thread you enter. It has nothing to do with drivers running stock. If all drivers currently running stock suddenly moved up to mod, those left will still be having the same arguments about speed controls and motor timing. Seriously, you're beating a dead horse here.

Hyperform racing--In memory of Lino
Bigdaddyswank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 08:57 PM   #115
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Simple solution........make the 21.5 motors, timing fixed or not , the stock class and EVERYTHING else modified. It gives a place for beginners to get their feet wet and when you feel like you are ready to move up, run what you want to make you go as fast as possible within your driving skills limitations.

Having multiple stock classes just creates small groups of people so that everyone can win a local A main. It's almost as bad as our grade schools giving every kid a trophy just because they played the game. Our society is creating a bunch of wimps that expect to win at everything and get slapped in the face with reality when they are out in the real world. When was the last time your boss gave you a raise just because you were willing to show up for work?

If I'm faster with a 17.5 than a 13.5, then it's up to me to either get better so I can put in more power or accept the fact that I'm going to get my a$$ kicked.

This would eliminate the need for all the fancy schmancy speed controllers for the majority of the racers. And I doubt you would see Rick Howart or Barry B running in a 21.5 class anytime soon.
SteveL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 09:00 PM   #116
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by or8ital View Post
The funny thing is the people who want "spec" and everything to be the "same" are probably the same people sitting in their work rooms water dipping motors, polishing bushings, etc. They just want everyone ELSE to be equal.

Just have fun racing your toy cars. When you stop comparing yourself to others and just worry about improving your own times you will be amazed how much closer to the fast guys you get. All without spending anymore money.
+1, best thing anyone's said in this whole thread........

Go Pokes!!!
Grizzbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 09:04 PM   #117
Tech Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by skypilot View Post
sorry george, no back tracking now.

I guess that explains why 70% of the mod class runs 10.5's at your track with only a few brave souls running 7.5s yea cause its easier.

go soak in a pond some where
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 09:51 PM   #118
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Cherry View Post
go soak in a pond some where

after embarrassing the all knowing all seeing wild cherry I deserve a little hot tub action.

mod sedan saturday, hope you can make it.
Old 12-15-2009, 06:50 AM   #119
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaddyswank View Post
I'm not exactly sure what you mean. Most clubs I have been to support each other and encourage beginners, so whatever equipment they do have, we all try to make sure they get the best out of it.

Fast drivers, believe it or not, actually have jobs and families and look forward to blowing off steam by racing their toy cars, just like new folks entering the hobby.

I see you rant about this in every thread you enter. It has nothing to do with drivers running stock. If all drivers currently running stock suddenly moved up to mod, those left will still be having the same arguments about speed controls and motor timing. Seriously, you're beating a dead horse here.
I've seen the same thing. You and I have probably been to the same tracks and know the same racers. There's no doubt that most racers will help other people out as much as they can. Every track I've been to new people are welcome. But you and I are looking at this from different perspectives. You get your information from people who are racing. I get mine from people who are not racing.

For some time now I've been trying to talk to those people who gave up on racing. I've been trying to get a sense of why they left. There are many different reasons, but it boils down to how much they were spending versus how much fun they were having. Sure, you can get into the hobby buying less than the best stuff, and you could probably do very well with it. But at some point everyone realizes that in order to step up to the next level of competition you have to start spending a lot of money. And this problem is particularly acute in the high traction world of carpet racing.

Any slight advantage in power (motor or battery) is an advantage in carpet racing. No not everyone will benefit from that advantage, but those who can most certainly will. I'll take myself as an example. I'm an average driver at best. I can get a car around the track without hitting anything, but usually slower than the good racers. Now if I'm down on power just a little to those guys, the only way I can make it up is to drive better. So while those guys are driving at 95%, I'm driving at 100 to 105% to make up time. And if you're driving over your skill level for any amount of time, eventually you hit something, and probably break. People get tired of fixing their cars on race day. The point at which people give up is different for everyone, but that point is out there, and more and more people are reaching that point.

What I've been trying to say in every thread like this one is we need a class where everything is speced out, and a class where the restrictions are removed. We've been doing the same thing for years now, and no one wants to change it to make it better. Every year we go through this argument, and every year we wonder why the turnouts at races are lower.

Consider this, nitro touring car is one class. 1/8 on road is one class. And off road electric is divided by motor specs, but they don't have this problem. Just ask yourself why this is?
jiml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 07:57 AM   #120
Tech Champion

It doesn't take much to work out the problem.

"Experience: priceless... For everything else in $tock class, there's ma$tercard"...

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote