Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Best touring car at it's time. >

Best touring car at it's time.

Best touring car at it's time.

Old 12-16-2009, 11:32 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by biz77
Everyone praising the TC3's? I remember back in the day at my local track those of us running Xray T1Rs and T2s put the smack down on the TC3's, not only because the Xray's were outright faster/better handling, but because the TC3s were always busted up and coming off the track before the race was done.
Well no offense but we are talking about the best car for its day. It sounds like you are describing sometime after the days of TC3 Glory. If Im not mistaken the TC3 was already a few years old by then.
Old 12-16-2009, 11:42 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Everyone praising the TC3's? I remember back in the day at my local track those of us running Xray T1Rs and T2s put the smack down on the TC3's, not only because the Xray's were outright faster/better handling, but because the TC3s were always busted up and coming off the track before the race was done.
TC3 had been around for quite a few years before Xray were even on the scene... but have to admit the best car I have ever owned/built/run would have to be my T1FK04.

Hpi RS4 Pro gets my vote though. HPI really kicked the whole "dedicated high-end" into gear... and compared to the Tamiya TA02 and '03 cars it was a dramatic shift towards what we run today. I still remember the first time someone brought a TC3 to the track though, had everyone in the room trying to get a peek at the super low profile design compared with the traditional pulley-over-motor designed cars, and it put in some serious lap times.
Old 12-16-2009, 11:52 AM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tc3team
+1 with the tc3 (I had the original one with less shock mounting options), but credit also goes to the HPI RS4, a great high spec car that did well, as well as the RS4Pro2.

I also liked a similar spin off from the tc3, the Tenth Technology Streetwise.

UK made, shaft drive, good enough spares back up but never really took off enough to see it last.
so the tenth tech did made a TC outta their orginal shaft buggy, I thought they sticked with a buggy and let AE handle the TC market. any picture of it?
Old 12-16-2009, 12:01 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

For me at least, it was the TC3.

But, I have to say that when the TC3s and losi XXX-Ss were still being ran by the fast guys, once one of them showed up with that new Xray, the track pretty much changed to all x-ray as they were very very fast compared to what they could do with the TC3s and you didn't have to up armor them with BRP nerf wings and bumpers like we did with the TC3 and XXX-S for carpet 19T racing.

I still went with the TC3, but at that point was getting various upgrades like the BMI Chassis conversion to be competitive. I can kick myself for selling it, should have just retired it gracefully. It was one heck of a car.

Originally Posted by da_John_wee
so the tenth tech did made a TC outta their orginal shaft buggy, I thought they sticked with a buggy and let AE handle the TC market. any picture of it?
I remember that tower used to sell it in a sport kind of form way back in the day!
Old 12-16-2009, 12:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The TC3 was untouchable for years, in every class from stock foam to mod rubber, no other touring car was as sucessful for so long and truly dominated the scene from people just starting getting ready to runs to factory pro drivers. The FK04 is probably my favorite car of all time, and would probably still be just as competitive as any car out there today, espicially as lipo/brushless would make its weight distribution a greater advantage than it was before. But while it won many races it didnt dominate the way the TC3 did.

BTW, I am sure the tc3 would be close to on the pace today, although it was extremely fragile and overall had pretty bad parts quality.
Old 12-16-2009, 02:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Okay to be fair, yes I believe the TC3 had been around for a while at that point, but the TC4 was not yet available at that time (2002-2003). I also don't believe the age of the car comes into play with how durable it is and TC3s were anything but durable. They had a hunger for front suspension pieces like a fat kid has for cake.
Old 12-16-2009, 03:05 PM
Tech Apprentice

My Input..

When i started TC it was back in 1991 or so?? had the TA01 with the MBZ body. at that time the Yokomo YR4 was owning everything alive.

When i moved up to a YR4 the YR4M came out and the HPI Pro came out those were the 2 to beat.

After that it was RoadRunner Xpress, YR4M Pro Type J and the other variants, HPI Pro2 were the Top 3 racers. (I was rocking the TF2 Type R at this time)
Then there was a time when every one and their family started making cars...
FSR Bullet was fast and strong problem was the price of that monster! it's a true Exotic.
Kawada made a decent car
OVA (Rocked this for a while untill parts nolonger existed)
TAmiya with it's TA03, Pro, DJ edition
Yokomo with the 15th million version of the YR4 or the Mr or what ever the hell they had at this time.
Kyosho trying to make a car that would work after the TF2 series
Cross making a car
Team Atlas
and there are tons more..

But after that AE came out with the TC3... i refused to ever buy AE stuff even to this day i still dispute buying anything AE. But i have to admit the TC3 owned it for a while untill other manufacturers started to put more thought into the car vs just making a new TC to sell.

It really depends based on the Time 1990-1992 1993-1995 1996-1998 1999-2000....
Old 12-16-2009, 09:50 PM
Tech Elite

Okay to be fair, yes I believe the TC3 had been around for a while at that point, but the TC4 was not yet available at that time (2002-2003). I also don't believe the age of the car comes into play with how durable it is and TC3s were anything but durable. They had a hunger for front suspension pieces like a fat kid has for cake.
The TC3 was one properly trimmed foam front bumper away from being pretty durable. I went through quite a few C-hubs on my X-Ray T-1. Then I reconfigured the foam bumper on the X-Ray and all was fine........

Arguments can definitely be made for the RS4 pro and pro 2, and the MR4-TC but from a longevity of ass-kicking standpoint, the TC3 is king IMO.
Old 12-17-2009, 12:33 AM
LMB
Tech Initiate

The X-Ray T3 is the best touring car of its time!!! easy pick!!!
Old 12-17-2009, 02:05 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by da_John_wee
Not really, very limited info about it anywhere on the www thesedays, as it is an older car...

I found a few snippets of info, but thats about all.

http://www.audi-20v.co.uk/RCCars/accord.htm

I found some off road eye candy too... (yes, that pic below is a CARBON FIBRE TUB chassis!)

These cars were fast in their day!!! But sadly, far from reliable lol..
http://thepred.proboards.com/index.c...96&page=1#1551
Old 12-17-2009, 04:49 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I think the Tenth Tech was called the Predator, or that may have been the buggy.

That car was way ahead of it's time. It cost twice as much as the average car. Oh, and it ate tranny gears and broke a lot if I recall correctly.

I began racing TC in the late nineties with a Tamiya TA01, then moved to a Schumacher SST98. Both good cars. The Schumie was way too fragile and complicated for a teenager though....

My pick for the best TC would have to go to the TA03. It was a total hybrid of the old and new school TC's, and in the right hands could beat anything, on any surface. Strong, inexpensive and fast out of the box. Still exists as one of the best drift cars today.

My $0.02.
Old 12-17-2009, 05:13 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Wasnt there a schumacher with inboard suspension in the mid ninties? first center shaft ifs?
Old 12-17-2009, 05:53 PM
Tech Elite

Tc3, hands down. For stock, nothing touched a Tc3. It can be, and still is competitive today... in one form or another.

For those complaining about it being brittle and never finishing races... maybe ya shoulda stayed off the boards?
Old 12-17-2009, 05:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Losi XXXS seems to be have been a well designed car, knowing that they are 8-9 years old and there is a guy locally that has something like 12 of them and is competitive in 17.5 with one. If a car that old can keep up with the newer TC5's and Xray T2 '008's and T2 '009's Losi must've done something right.

I'm not going to comment on the TC3 as the only one I've seen was in bits.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

T1R...it was my first car...loved it...I still see them doing good at local tracks...

my two pennies

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.