R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-12-2009, 08:52 AM   #31
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

i have never been aware of these cells. sounds interesting though. i like you aussies, and that crocodile dundee guy too!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWH74 View Post
Or you could go for a 2s pack of A123 cells.
These are the 2300mA (26650 size) cells and they just fit in a 12r5. Need to lift the front of the shock to the top hole and a slight change of the shock rear ballcup and a very slight mod to the body.
7.2V fully charged 5v Flat. Super robust. Will work on all the old equipment. No need for lipo cut-out. Will take heaps of cycles and dirt cheap. Cost AU$20 (US$18) for the two cells!
Charge them at 10C!!! Well 4C because that is all my charger can handle. So charge time is less then 20 minutes
Weight 147g v 140g for a SMC 4900mA 40C 3.7v 1-cell.
I think 10.5 is going to be a bit much

Josh Evans
kawirider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 08:56 AM   #32
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgeguy View Post
I totally agree with you.
Some people

Something funny Josh that guy joined rctech like 8 months before you did. I guess since he has been on here longer it makes you a novice lol..
well, actually kevin, i have been on here since back in the pontoon days right after they started this site, i was one of the first couple hundred users, when they changed the servers, i was one of the unlucky individuals to lose my profile and had to make a new one and start all over again, used to be "motoxr" for years.

Josh Evans
Old 12-12-2009, 08:58 AM   #33
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

What's wrong with helping people in general? Time in hobby has nothing to do with skill level. My dad has been in the hobby before I was even born, but does not know as much about the modern technologies of Electric On Road as he would like to. So he ask questions.

My Point?

Everybody deserves to ask questions no matter how long they have been in the hobby, without getting called out negatively. There are the people that abuse that privilege, but those people are goofy anyway

I have heard people rallying for 10.5 1s 12th scale.
Old 12-12-2009, 09:07 AM   #34
Tech Regular

honestly man, i wasnt railing on the 13.5 motors, i am fine with the motor. it is just the voltage we are attempting to put to it and expecting it to perform up to task. i like the effeciency of the motor, i like brushless, i just dont like 1s 3.7 volts, pure and simple. i ran this same car with my nimh batts, and the car was fine, added 1s lipo, and your like HUH? it is a total different set up all together as far as gearing goes. i was just amazed at the dramatic difference. crazy the difference 1.1 volt nominal makes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen RaCing View Post
What's wrong with helping people in general? Time in hobby has nothing to do with skill level. My dad has been in the hobby before I was even born, but does not know as much about the modern technologies of Electric On Road as he would like to. So he ask questions.

My Point?

Everybody deserves to ask questions no matter how long they have been in the hobby, without getting called out negatively. There are the people that abuse that privilege, but those people are goofy anyway

I have heard people rallying for 10.5 1s 12th scale.

Josh Evans
Old 12-12-2009, 09:20 AM   #35
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawirider View Post
honestly man, i wasnt railing on the 13.5 motors, i am fine with the motor. it is just the voltage we are attempting to put to it and expecting it to perform up to task. i like the effeciency of the motor, i like brushless, i just dont like 1s 3.7 volts, pure and simple. i ran this same car with my nimh batts, and the car was fine, added 1s lipo, and your like HUH? it is a total different set up all together as far as gearing goes. i was just amazed at the dramatic difference. crazy the difference 1.1 volt nominal makes.
That's why for World GT I think they should have kept the 2 cell set up. At least for outdoor. If you hit the wall and break, ohh well. Don't hit the wall. That would clean up racing..

As for 12th, I still need to try the modern set ups.
Old 12-12-2009, 09:24 AM   #36
Tech Master

I'm having a bit of a time making the transition from 17.5 + 4.8 to 13.5 + 3.7 as well. Our track is 80 x 30 so we have a decent straight but am getting blown away by other 13.5 + 3.7 cars. I've tried every pinion from 39 to 48 with a 76 spur and still can't match speed. My car was as fast as the fastest car on the track with the 17.5 + 4.8.

I've come to the conclusion it's related to the speedo, mines the Speed Passion GT v1.1.

Any thoughts on this speedo with 3.7? Are there some speedo's better suited for 1S 3.7?
Bob Malphurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 09:31 AM   #37
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Malphurs View Post
I'm having a bit of a time making the transition from 17.5 + 4.8 to 13.5 + 3.7 as well. Our track is 80 x 30 so we have a decent straight but am getting blown away by other 13.5 + 3.7 cars. I've tried every pinion from 39 to 48 with a 76 spur and still can't match speed. My car was as fast as the fastest car on the track with the 17.5 + 4.8.

I've come to the conclusion it's related to the speedo, mines the Speed Passion GT v1.1.

Any thoughts on this speedo with 3.7? Are there some speedo's better suited for 1S 3.7?
Some people swear by the CRC Advance Electronics speedo. Or the Tekin RS Pro, or the LRP SPX (Or soon to be released, the LRP SXX Stock Spec, which should be a bit faster in the 1s classes)

Search around here some, there is a lot of info on ESC applications for 1s.
Old 12-12-2009, 09:37 AM   #38
Tech Adept

Quote:
why dont you blow it out your ass! i have been racing these things since i was 16 years old and i am 40 now. i dont think i qualify as a beginner, asshole. mind your own business. nobody asked you to come in this thread and waste your time anyway. i have gleaned some excellent answers to my questions, here. i HAVE BEEN at our local track and everyone else is in the same boat. SO, yes, i have "UTALIZED" as you say,my resources at hand. so, go play with your little car and act like a board troll elsewhere.

I have had the unfortunate priveledge of watching you race, and have seen first hand your "builds" and "preparation". Can you say hornets nest. It does not matter how long you have been in the hobby or an RC tech member. Realisticly you are still an entry level racer and will always be.

Ill see you at the track to discuss this matter in person.
march to my own is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 09:38 AM   #39
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Malphurs View Post

You see this is the main problem with 12th scale or anything else running 1s and a 21.5-13.5 right now, the speedo IS the difference, 1 comes out better than the other then you need to buy it, the problem is these things are starting to cost 300+.
Right now KO, Tekin, LRP, and Novak are scrambling to make a better mousetrap after the $350 Black Diamond came out. So for me I will not buy updated equipment until this crap either stops or levels out and becomes more affordable.
Now to answer your question, if you want to win, buy a BD, if you want to just keep up get a KO or Tekin or LRP SXX.

**TEAM RCAMERICA**XRAY**HUDY**PROLEVEL RC**
chensleyrc1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 10:05 AM   #40
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 102 (98%+)

However, the beauty of the Tekin is the "firmware" is upgradeable with a $30 dollar investment in the Hotwire. So... as Tekin learns better ways of making the speed controller work you get a FREE update. This is why I choose the Tekin. Plus it's no more expensive than controllers of the past. Maybe ROAR should put a cap on speed controller just as they did with the stock brushed motor. I believe it was $39. The ONLY reason the black diamond is over $350 is it offers that extra edge that NO other controller has. Also, as much as I like my Tekin I can tell you first hand that after hours of testing with gearing and multiple esc settings you won't see the results on the track with the timing adjustments. 3.7v just doesn't have the power to take advantage of esc capabilities. I personally don't care for the 3.7v setup.
evostyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 10:21 AM   #41
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

...i think alot of good info coming from this thread, i subscribed!,,,10.5 3.7...would be acceptable for STOCK...put a 4-cell pack in there ur runnin with the fastest 19 turn motors...wich i even think is to slow..like someone previouslly said..stock/open mod...THATS IT!!!...
Old 12-12-2009, 10:33 AM   #42
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by march to my own View Post
I have had the unfortunate priveledge of watching you race, and have seen first hand your "builds" and "preparation". Can you say hornets nest. It does not matter how long you have been in the hobby or an RC tech member. Realisticly you are still an entry level racer and will always be.

Ill see you at the track to discuss this matter in person.
who are you? no one else here seems to know you. and you hide behind your avatar without your name out there? my stuff is not a hornets and has never been. buzz off.

Josh Evans
Old 12-12-2009, 10:55 AM   #43
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 182 (100%+)

Quote:
why dont you blow it out your [email protected]@! i have been racing these things since i was 16 years old and i am 40 now. i dont think i qualify as a beginner, ~~. mind your own business. nobody asked you to come in this thread and waste your time anyway. i have gleaned some excellent answers to my questions, here. i HAVE BEEN at our local track and everyone else is in the same boat. SO, yes, i have "UTALIZED" as you say,my resources at hand. so, go play with your little car and act like a board troll elsewhere.
My first and last warning,watch the language

Last edited by Marcos.J; 12-12-2009 at 12:01 PM.
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 12:41 PM   #44
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Larry a flash update to a micro chip won't bridge the gap that the BD has created. If Tekin could, they would of done so already. They had plenty of time to develop the new software after they got their a** handed to them at the IIC. The indoor champs was the same result.
So to me it will take Tekin and the rest to make totally new controllers to compete. I'm not buying any of them till this mess settles.

And I hate to say this, but Drew was right when he said we are opening a HUGE can of worms when we went to brush-less LiPo configuration.

**TEAM RCAMERICA**XRAY**HUDY**PROLEVEL RC**
chensleyrc1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 12:57 PM   #45
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcos.J View Post
My first and last warning,watch the language
my apologies moderator. we had a troll problem.

Josh Evans