R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-11-2009, 07:23 PM   #16
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

lol, larry i said i would have been sniveling too!!!!lol drew could beat me with a micro, you too. i converted so that we would all be even, so is steve. i just want it to be faster that is all. i am completly on board with everything you say about the voltage and all. i just hate having to set there and tune and tune and tune to get the car to be fast. i would prefer we all make up this deficit with some voltage that is reasonable. there just has to be a better way than this. it will get better i know that, i just missed the gearing so bad last nite. i would never dreamed of needing a rollout in the 85mm range. now i gotta spend a bunch of money on new pinions to get this thing right. it is the whole reason i didnt want to switch, i knew what i had before and how to make it work and had the equipment to do so. so now, i have dropped 200 bux for speedo and a battery, and a reciever pack another 30 bux, and now prolly around 50 dollars in pinions, just to get this thing in the neighborhood of being right. 300 dollar investment in just that.this is why there is hardley anyone is racing with us. i signed up for it, so i am not blaming anyone for it but me. but it is this and this alone that is scaring people away. i LOVE to race these things, but it is rapidly becoming unreasonable to do it. i dont spend this much money on both my motorcyles to race them, really! even the entry fee is more than it costs to race motorcyles(at some races). it is absurd. listen to me, now im sniveling.....crap. damn toy cars!lol

Josh Evans
kawirider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 07:28 PM   #17
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

1S 10.5 is a bit on the slow side for me. Go mod
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 08:03 PM   #18
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 102 (98%+)

In case you forgot about my post a few weeks ago. Now you know where I'm coming from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evostyle View Post
Yes... this does suck. Hence the reason I have had to spend hundreds of dollars and hours and hours of testing just to end up a tad slower than SteveL's 4 cell / frankenstien brushed stock motor.
evostyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 08:10 PM   #19
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Im running a 2cell 2000mah / 21.5 in my 1/12th scale and its the business. Decent power (about like 4cell nimh / 13.5) and it will make run time fine if there gearing is in check. Its not legal for anything but some club races but thats all I do with it anyway.
mrrcguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 09:46 PM   #20
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 198 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrcguy View Post
Im running a 2cell 2000mah / 21.5 in my 1/12th scale and its the business. Decent power (about like 4cell nimh / 13.5) and it will make run time fine if there gearing is in check. Its not legal for anything but some club races but thats all I do with it anyway.
Now this does seem like the way to go. For some, something like a 25.5 might be good for the stock 4 cell equivalent.

Once again I do not think ROAR did enough testing about a rule/class change. This may be something to combat the $350 speed controls.
dodgeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 11:32 PM   #21
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgeguy View Post
This may be something to combat the $350 speed controls.
How do you figure? A 25.5 2s with the latest speedo will still be faster vs. an outdated speedo.
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 02:23 AM   #22
Tech Regular

Send a message via MSN to PMSorber

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawirider View Post
i have dropped 200 bux for speedo and a battery, and a reciever pack another 30 bux, and now prolly around 50 dollars in pinions, just to get this thing in the neighborhood of being right. 300 dollar investment in just that.this is why there is hardley anyone is racing with us. i signed up for it, so i am not blaming anyone for it but me. but it is this and this alone that is scaring people away. i LOVE to race these things, but it is rapidly becoming unreasonable to do it. i dont spend this much money on both my motorcyles to race them, really! even the entry fee is more than it costs to race motorcyles(at some races). it is absurd. listen to me, now im sniveling.....crap. damn toy cars!lol
This is exactly the reason to be very carefull with changing technical rules, changing results in doubt and if investments are needed in loss (of intrest). The latter can kill a class....

This winterseason we will continue driving NiMH cells and next season as well, as long as cells are available.
PMSorber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 03:56 AM   #23
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Or you could go for a 2s pack of A123 cells.
These are the 2300mA (26650 size) cells and they just fit in a 12r5. Need to lift the front of the shock to the top hole and a slight change of the shock rear ballcup and a very slight mod to the body.
7.2V fully charged 5v Flat. Super robust. Will work on all the old equipment. No need for lipo cut-out. Will take heaps of cycles and dirt cheap. Cost AU$20 (US$18) for the two cells!
Charge them at 10C!!! Well 4C because that is all my charger can handle. So charge time is less then 20 minutes
Weight 147g v 140g for a SMC 4900mA 40C 3.7v 1-cell.
I think 10.5 is going to be a bit much
Attached Thumbnails
1s lipo+12thscale+13.5= sucks! whats the deal?-top-a123.jpg   1s lipo+12thscale+13.5= sucks! whats the deal?-side-a123.jpg  
Old 12-12-2009, 04:14 AM   #24
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWH74 View Post
Or you could go for a 2s pack of A123 cells.
These are the 2300mA (26650 size) cells and they just fit in a 12r5. Need to lift the front of the shock to the top hole and a slight change of the shock rear ballcup and a very slight mod to the body.
7.2V fully charged 5v Flat. Super robust. Will work on all the old equipment. No need for lipo cut-out. Will take heaps of cycles and dirt cheap. Cost AU$20 (US$18) for the two cells!
Charge them at 10C!!! Well 4C because that is all my charger can handle. So charge time is less then 20 minutes
Weight 147g v 140g for a SMC 4900mA 40C 3.7v 1-cell.
I think 10.5 is going to be a bit much
I'm driving a 2S A123 pack with a 9.5, this runs like a mod car. Easily 12min of runtime without any powerloss. Got a 10.5 on the way so the car is a bit slower.
I love these cells!
Old 12-12-2009, 04:57 AM   #25
Tech Regular

Send a message via MSN to PMSorber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quante View Post
I'm driving a 2S A123 pack with a 9.5, this runs like a mod car. Easily 12min of runtime without any powerloss. Got a 10.5 on the way so the car is a bit slower.
I love these cells!
But not legal for official races.
PMSorber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 07:40 AM   #26
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

What has hurt more is the vast number of "spec" motors that came along with the brushless reveloution! 21.5, 17.5, 13.5 & 10.5. It was much less expensive and racing was just as fun when there were two, 27t & mod, period. Almost all of the 27t motors were close enough to make racing close and if you want more speed, run modified and drop whatever you can handle in the car.

People will complain that the Nimh and brushed are an unfair advantage over lipo, but I contend that the new tubro boost unobtainium speed controllers are just as unfair. Spend a couple of hundred a season for new Nimh packs or a couple of hundred every 2 or 3 months on the latest speed controller.

Go back to two motor classes and you will ultimately end up with more racers.
SteveL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 08:15 AM   #27
Tech Adept

It bothers me when you see enrty level racers who don't know what they are saying or doing making threads like this.

The best thing is to ask questions at you're local track to get yourself pointed in the right direction. If you can't get an answer utalize the 1/12 scale thread to ask an educated question.

You will get much better results.
march to my own is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 08:22 AM   #28
Tech Regular

yes larry, i absolutly agree with you. it will get better , i hope. Steve. that was well said. I think you just hit the nail on the head. 27t or 17.5 brushless is stock and ANYHTING else is modified. it worked all those years like that just fine. and if it IS a spec class then that is what it truly needs to be. real rules. not just run this motor....and that will even the field. the whole point of spec is to even the field, that means, same battery, same speedo, same motor. period. i think the tech coming out in these new speedos is some neat shit, it is fun to tinker with, but, that is what mod class is for, not a stock or spec class, in mod ANYHTING goes. i challenge ANYONE to show why any of these speedos should cost 300 and more. there is NOTHING in these little boxes that justify that kind of price due materials cost or otherwise. folks, fets and capacitors are CHEAP, price em sometime. i do realize however that software/firmware writers do cost a good deal, but it still wont justify over 300 bux for 65 grams of plastic and silicon.

Josh Evans
Old 12-12-2009, 08:28 AM   #29
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by march to my own View Post
It bothers me when you see enrty level racers who don't know what they are saying or doing making threads like this.

The best thing is to ask questions at you're local track to get yourself pointed in the right direction. If you can't get an answer utalize the 1/12 scale thread to ask an educated question.

You will get much better results.
why dont you blow it out your a! i have been racing these things since i was 16 years old and i am 40 now. i dont think i qualify as a beginner, . mind your own business. nobody asked you to come in this thread and waste your time anyway. i have gleaned some excellent answers to my questions, here. i HAVE BEEN at our local track and everyone else is in the same boat. SO, yes, i have "UTALIZED" as you say,my resources at hand. so, go play with your little car and act like a board troll elsewhere.

Josh Evans

Last edited by Marcos.J; 12-12-2009 at 11:59 AM. Reason: removed profanity
Old 12-12-2009, 08:40 AM   #30
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 198 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawirider View Post
why dont you blow it out your ! i have been racing these things since i was 16 years old and i am 40 now. i dont think i qualify as a beginner ae. mind your own business. nobody asked you to come in this thread and waste your time anyway. i have gleaned some excellent answers to my questions, here. so, go play with your little car and buzz off.

I totally agree with you.
Some people

Something funny Josh that guy joined rctech like 8 months before you did. I guess since he has been on here longer it makes you a novice lol..

Last edited by Marcos.J; 12-12-2009 at 12:00 PM.
dodgeguy is offline   Reply With Quote