R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-10-2009, 07:01 AM   #16
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwmjd007 View Post
i will have to try that as well. it sounds like i will have to spend a few days at the track testing different diffs. Also with this http://www.thard.co.uk/415/setups/CLewis415Reedy06.jpg setup sheet it says that the front axle is 4 degs what does this mean?

You have 2 and 4 degree caster blocks.
TwoTone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 11:28 AM   #17
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Hi Robert,

As most of the guys have said on here, a one-way will probably be quicker outdoors. However, you should note that it can be trickier to drive, as you basically loose the ability to brake hard. With a 540 silver can though, it should be good to help keep your corner speed up (it gives a lot of front end as the front wheels are free to run at their own speeds off power), but if you start going towards the brushless motors of 17.5 and lower, consider the spool to allow you to use the brakes.

Any more questions, ask away, glad your finding the setups useful.. knew there was a reason I kept them up there

HiH
Ed
Old 12-10-2009, 04:42 PM   #18
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

For our super tight parking lot racing, most people found the front diff to better than both the one-way and spool. When I drove my MSX w/ the one-way it was very fast, but I was very limited to only one line. This means you cannot be agressive and defend corners to keep them from over taking. Essesntially they could easily cut inside and bump you out as you turn in. After switching to the front diff, I was able to defend position much better.

Spool wouldn't cut it w/ our tight 180's (understeer city)...
94eg! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 04:55 PM   #19
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by TryHard View Post
Hi Robert,

As most of the guys have said on here, a one-way will probably be quicker outdoors. However, you should note that it can be trickier to drive, as you basically loose the ability to brake hard. With a 540 silver can though, it should be good to help keep your corner speed up (it gives a lot of front end as the front wheels are free to run at their own speeds off power), but if you start going towards the brushless motors of 17.5 and lower, consider the spool to allow you to use the brakes.

Any more questions, ask away, glad your finding the setups useful.. knew there was a reason I kept them up there

HiH
Ed
Yeah i was a good thing you did. from what i can gather i am going to have to setup my car as far as toe, camper and caster and then just play with the diff till i find what works.
rwmjd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 03:21 PM   #20
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinggoy View Post
i assume its asphalt right? im running msx right now and its doing pretty good. 170ft straight away with lots of high speed corners. i will post later after practice my setup if it will do good...
how did you go with your setup. I would not mind finding out a bit more.
Old 12-14-2009, 06:59 PM   #21
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (96%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to pinggoy

Here ,this is for a mid to high fast track asphalt..reffer to the setup sheet for the Terms im using..

Front
Shock tower -2
A-arm Shock hole-middle of the three hole
upper arm spacer-1
suspension mount spacers-FF.5mm FR 0mm
Camber- 1 deg
Ride height - 5.5mm
Droop- 5mm
Front Diff
Rollbar- yellow
Shock lenght-61.5
Piston-2 hole
Oil-AE 35wt
Spring-AE silver
suspension Blocks -FF/FR 1A
Suspension Arm spacers- FF 1mm FR 3.5mm
linkage position- front hole..

Rear
Shock tower- 3rd hole fron inside
A-arm hole-middle hole of the 3
rear hub-middle hole
Center Drive- ONe way
Camber -2 deg
Ride height-6mm
Droop-5mm (Try 6mm if too much oversteer entering turn off power)
outer ball joint spacer-1mm
Shock piston-2
oil-35wt ae
Spring -green AE
suspension mount spacers-FR.5mm RR.5mm
Suspension Blocks-FR -1XD RR -1D (3deg toe in)
Suspension arm spacers-FR 2mm RR 2.5mm

chassis brace-none

ballistic 17.5
SPX nosram version -mode 7

very stable.. a little oversteer upon entering corners off power, i usually go 5% throttle to compensate and it works....

try this setup and lmk how it goes.. this is RCGT setup btw.. hpi pro non belted tires.. with hpi lexus is2000 200mm body.

GOOD LUCK.
pinggoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 02:55 AM   #22
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
Not to hijack the thread, but how do you think that set up would work for VTA indoor carpet? I've been tempted to try it out.

My driving style just doesn't seem to work with one ways.
+1 with Tryhard's answer.

You do have to be very smooth with your throttle and brakes to use a one way properly, or a one way can work against you.

Think of it this way. all the time the car is accelerating and braking there is more chance of getting that level of speed or braking wrong.

With a one way, the throttle should be quite gradual (not like an on off switch). this equates to carrying more speed through a corner, and a more balanced and smoother throttle.

However. With a 540, you are not racing with lots of power or an insane amount of speed, so you need to keep the speed you have kept up through corners, hence using the one way can help that.

Just be careful of your braking zones and other cars around you....

Your racing lines can also change to use the speed more, which may involve taking a wider line than usual.

Some tracks can be high bite, taking too much speed through a corner may result in grip roll, but with a 540, again, this shouldn't be a problem, but one thing to have in the back of your mind that should it happen.

Should it happen, firstly, look at gluing the sidewalls of your tyres, or secondly, look into your car setup a bit more.

Sounds like Tryhard has this thread covered, but if im around i'll try to add some answers if need be

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 08:43 AM   #23
Tech Apprentice

thanks tc3team for your response. i have a setup that marc rheinard did involving a one way but the file is to big to post.
Old 12-15-2009, 09:38 AM   #24
Tech Champion

No problem, glad to help...

Don't always rely on a team driver setup to help you go fast. "One mans meat is another mans poison" so the phrase goes.

Use it as a base setup (like the one that comes with the kit) and make one change at a time to see if it suits you.

If you then go on to try different things on the setup and it still isnt to your liking, then go back to kit settings and try stuff out from there, it's all about learning...

Good luck

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote